Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Can you switch to tow mode while driving?
Is that normally available or would you need to plug a light tester into the port by the hitch? If you did that I assume you could get dumb cruise while in All Purpose?
Exactly what I was wondering. Since tow mode is enabled by plugging in a trailer electrical connector, would a cheap test plug like this also enable tow mode?
https://a.co/d/44GOTWx
Tow mode is always available, but you can't switch drive modes while cruise control is active, so you can't switch to another mode once you activate it.

I would hope people are using cruise on windy back roads, but the majority of roads are pretty damn straight and boring. As hilly as it is here almost no one can properly maintain speed on hills and it's annoying AF. And I highly doubt you can maintain +/- 1 mph all the time...cruise will.
If a road winds too tight the Rivian's adaptive cruise will actually slow you down for the turn.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Interesting that with option 2) Rivian is using cameras instead of radar like every other vehicle (minus Tesla).
It uses RADAR as well.

OP
OP
zefram47

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

If a road winds too tight the Rivian's adaptive cruise will actually slow you down for the turn.
I had meant that as a negative...hoping people aren't using it on twisty roads. Nice that it works though. The wife's old Forester XT would slow down for curves, but I'd never trust it to work on tight corners and even then on more open corners it would over slow.

OP
OP
zefram47

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

still confused about what expired on Jan 16. What features/services do I no longer have?
IIRC, they said that LTE would be covered until the end of 2023 and free RAN charging was ending sooner, maybe end of March 2023? So far those are the only two things that have been mentioned that were supposed to have been part of "Membership". Now they're going to make them a la carte options, but they haven't announced anything else or pricing for them yet.

Milermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Definitely not a problem for me. Especially since I'm usually just matching speed for the person in front of me. Not a lot of places where I live that you end up being out in front all the time. Regardless, I have no issues maintaining a steady speed.

What drives me bonkers is people that don't realize you have to actually depress the pedal harder when you go uphill if you don't want to shed 15mph and piss of the person behind you :)
...or people you're stuck behind on mountain passes who double their speed on the passing lanes, then drop speed after the merge...

Sponsored

OP
OP
zefram47

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

...or people you're stuck behind on mountain passes who double their speed on the passing lanes, then drop speed after the merge...
This...1000% this. I want to go fast in the corners...I don't give AF about the straights.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
My Jeep Wrangler offers both Adaptive Cruise Control and Dumb Cruise Control.

I've never actually used the Dumb Cruise control as the I never have any issues with Adaptive Cruise Control. About the only negative is that it's a been aggressive when trying to fill a gap after a car leaves.

Rivian doesn't really need dumb cruise control. What they need to do is to get the ACC to work properly.

My previous two vehicles used Camera+Radar and never had issues activating because of rain. But, Rivian struggles in some situations with rain.

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '22 M3LR, '09 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Stupid question: do tractor trailer drivers have cruise control?

Also, we see these headlines every time someone dies in a Tesla, because autopilot scares people, even if it wasn't used. Ooooooo scary technology and automation šŸ‘»
This is just another example. How many times do tractor trailers crash and it doesn't make the national news? Probably multiple daily. And how much more fatal is it when the load is 60,000 lbs. I'm not saying "dumb" cruise control is dangerous, I'm saying that people tend to be very biased by the press. And Rivian is still fragile. Tractor trailers are established... nobody is going to campaign for them to be taken off the road even if they are 10x more dangerous than a Rivian.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

I can't mirror this enough, there's one spot on my main commute, sweeping right hander, that tries to kill me every time and I have fully stopped using ACC. 2014 MB handles it better. Regular cruise would be amazing and already programmed.

I very much plan to continue submitting tickets when itā€™s a problem. That said, Iā€™ve really only had an issue on 2-lane (1 each way) roads, and because itā€™s goddamned terrifying on said roads, I donā€™t use it, hence no new tickets for a few weeks.

Freeways donā€™t seem to be an issue. But itā€™s unacceptably buggy and needs to get fixed, or give us an option for regular dumb cruise.

Rivian Corp: Iā€™m one of your biggest fans, but this is out of control and needs to be fixed. Itā€™s functionally lagging ancient legacy ICE cars by a decade.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

One of the really scary things weā€™ve experienced using Driver+ is how it handles Toll Roads here in California. Our tolls roads donā€™t have booths. Everything is handled via camera rigs above the freeway. There is no slowing down. Traffic maintains full speed you blast under the cameras and they bill you. In the Rivian with Drivers+ turned on, with almost no warning, the vehicle will hit the breaks aggressively and start flashing ā€œtoll booth take control.ā€ Driver+ should be smart enough to know the highway hasnā€™t had a ā€œtoll boothā€ on it in 15 yearsā€¦ If I donā€™t immediately press the gas pedal the vehicle will stop in the middle of traffic on the freeway.
Well frick, that is good to know in advance. Thanks

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
One of the really scary things weā€™ve experienced using Driver+ is how it handles Toll Roads here in California. Our tolls roads donā€™t have booths. Everything is handled via camera rigs above the freeway. There is no slowing down. Traffic maintains full speed you blast under the cameras and they bill you. In the Rivian with Drivers+ turned on, with almost no warning, the vehicle will hit the breaks aggressively and start flashing ā€œtoll booth take control.ā€ Driver+ should be smart enough to know the highway hasnā€™t had a ā€œtoll boothā€ on it in 15 yearsā€¦ If I donā€™t immediately press the gas pedal the vehicle will stop in the middle of traffic on the freeway.
This is so frustrating/dangerous. I get phantom braking all the f!$@ing time using ACC on back roads and it is without a doubt my #1 complaint/concern WRT the R1T. HA, for whatever reason, is much more stable for me, including toll roads. Going over the Tacoma Narrows Bridge (also a drive through tool with no booths) and HA engaged works flawlessly.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I like how they pretend the ā€œlatestā€ info on the manual tonneau is word for word the same description that has been on the website for 2 years. :facepalm:

The cruise control answer is particularly crappy. I would use regular cruise control way more than driver +
I use adaptive cruise control as much as I can. Works very well. Never have tried Driver+. In my experience, when sensors are obscured, adaptive cruise essentially becomes just plain cruise control. Love the truck and the driving experience. HWA is the same as Driver+. From the manual:
Rivian R1T R1S Weekly Rivian Responds Roundup - Cruise Control 1674756348298

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I use adaptive cruise control as much as I can. Works very well. Never have tried Driver+. In my experience, when sensors are obscured, adaptive cruise essentially becomes just plain cruise control. Love the truck and the driving experience. HWA is the same as Driver+. From the manual:
1674756348298.png
Semantics but HWA != Driver+. The overall suite of aids is called Driver+, of which ACC and HWA are both members of. So using ACC you are, in fact, using Driver+. And if sensors are obscured, ACC will not function, nor will HWA.

trmaier

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro Hybrid, R1T El Cap, BM
Clubs

So if the normal ACC (option 2) stops working, you just get no CC at all? That sucks. In rural IA every road is straight and driving at steady highway speeds for 30+ minutes every time I get in the car would be really frustrating without any CC at all.
I'll second this, and can confirm that it is highly frustrating. I've had Driver+ CC fail under multiple conditions, including snow, fog, and driving into the sunset. I can not believe they would not consider some sort of dumb CC for these situations, given that they are fairly common occurances.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
1674756348298.png
Thanks for the clarification. I do appreciate adaptive cruise control, although I havenā€™t tried Rivianā€™s (no truck yet). Iā€™m not interested in any manufacturerā€˜s self driving systems at this point. None of them seem ready for prime time yet.
Sponsored