Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I can maintain speed just fine, but I’d rather not take hairpin turns labeled at 15MPH at the 55 I’m doing before the turn. Most of my driving is on back country roads. Also I’m as if not more accurate with my foot as cruise control is.

Besides most of the time when I’m on the freeway I’m too busy passing to worry about maintaining a constant speed going around all the slow pokes with their cruise control set to 72 in the left lane.
I would hope people aren't using cruise on windy back roads, but the majority of roads are pretty damn straight and boring. As hilly as it is here almost no one can properly maintain speed on hills and it's annoying AF. And I highly doubt you can maintain +/- 1 mph all the time...cruise will.

Edited for not negating my statement...oops.
Sponsored

Last edited:

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I literally use it whenever traffic allows safe use...ACC that's competent would mean I'd use it even more. In anything remotely fast/quick it helps prevent tickets if nothing else. Also frees up the brain for dealing with other inputs rather than constantly worrying about speed.
The most important question for me is where in the hell are you driving in/around Denver where traffic is moving at more than a crawl? I need to know where these magical places exist :)

OP
OP
zefram47

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The most important question for me is where in the hell are you driving in/around Denver where traffic is moving at more than a crawl? I need to know where these magical places exist :)
Fair point. I live on the NW side between Golden and Boulder, so it's not uncommon to have road conditions allowing cruise control use. That said, on a back road I certainly won't use it...that wouldn't be fun or safe around here.

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
It's the same 2 options as Tesla. People have issues with both but my personal frustration is not being able to use option 2 when there are camera issues from: the sun being low or rain or just random times it doesn't think the camera is working.
So if the normal ACC (option 2) stops working, you just get no CC at all? That sucks. In rural IA every road is straight and driving at steady highway speeds for 30+ minutes every time I get in the car would be really frustrating without any CC at all.

RivChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
WRX, 911T
Occupation
Product Manager
Clubs

So if the normal ACC (option 2) stops working, you just get no CC at all? That sucks. In rural IA every road is straight and driving at steady highway speeds for 30+ minutes every time I get in the car would be really frustrating without any CC at all.
That’s correct and I agree it’s very annoying that normal CC is not available in this vehicle. If you’re ever driving into a sunset you likely won’t have CC. It is a step backwards from every vehicle I’ve driven prior.

Sponsored

OP
OP
zefram47

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Exactly.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If the sensors are disabled/acting up anyway because of inclement weather, you could always put it tow mode to get standard cruise since you're not really losing anything else you don't already have.

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
If the sensors are disabled/acting up anyway because of inclement weather, you could always put it tow mode to get standard cruise since you're not really losing anything else you don't already have.
Can you switch to tow mode while driving?

OP
OP
zefram47

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Is that normally available or would you need to plug a light tester into the port by the hitch? If you did that I assume you could get dumb cruise while in All Purpose?

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
Is that normally available or would you need to plug a light tester into the port by the hitch? If you did that I assume you could get dumb cruise while in All Purpose?
Exactly what I was wondering. Since tow mode is enabled by plugging in a trailer electrical connector, would a cheap test plug like this also enable tow mode?
https://a.co/d/44GOTWx

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Nope. Only in tow mode.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I would hope people are using cruise on windy back roads, but the majority of roads are pretty damn straight and boring. As hilly as it is here almost no one can properly maintain speed on hills and it's annoying AF. And I highly doubt you can maintain +/- 1 mph all the time...cruise will.
Just because you are incapable of a thing does not mean others are. I have no issues maintaining a steady speed (usually without varying even 1mph) on all the places around here it would make sense to use cruise control, which is the highways.

That said, I'm typically going faster than all the traffic around me anyway, so my ability to properly modulate speed without cruise control is mostly irrelevant.

It amuses me though that you think every single driver on the road is incapable of this without some sort of assistance. It usually takes a pretty egregious example of someone not holding steady speed for me to even notice it, let alone get irritated by it. Not sure what drivers are like out in your area, but ours aren't exactly known for their extreme skill. Still rarely ever an issue for me.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
It's the same 2 options as Tesla. People have issues with both but my personal frustration is not being able to use option 2 when there are camera issues from: the sun being low or rain or just random times it doesn't think the camera is working.
Interesting that with option 2) Rivian is using cameras instead of radar like every other vehicle (minus Tesla).

Milermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Just saw the latest Weekly Rivian Responds Roundup over on Reddit and there was the age old question of regular/standard cruise control being made available. Gotta say, Rivian's response quite honestly pisses me off. It's extremely dismissive and just says they won't offer it because Driver+ is the answer. Except pretty much everyone seems to have stories to tell of ACC failing during good weather conditions as well as others where cameras become obscured, etc. We already know they offer standard cruise control in Tow Mode...why the hell won't they make it an option with a giant warning if ACC fails!? I'm one off those folks who uses cruise control everywhere that traffic allows safe use and doubly so in an EV with regen to allow one to move their foot. This is kinda one of those things that might make me not hang on to my truck once I get it if they don't address the issues with Driver+ and/or offer standard cruise.

still confused about what expired on Jan 16. What features/services do I no longer have?
Sponsored