Sponsored

Weekly Rivian Responds Roundup - Cruise Control

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
I use cruise control all the time and it cuts out abruptly because of morning sun. I understand the problem, but don't understand why dumb cruise control is not available. Almost all others vehicle sold today have the option. This "I know what is better for you" crap is why I don't use Apple products.

Why do I need it every where? The difference between 9 over and 11 over can be a ticket, where I live.
Sponsored

OP
OP
zefram47

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Finally got my truck last week. I hadn't had an ACC failure beyond a couple phantom braking events when passing an occupied turn lane until last night. But going into the sun it finally decided it couldn't activate due to camera glare. Tried going into tow mode to use dumb cruise and it still wouldn't allow it to activate...total bullshit. Took maybe 1-2 min, but ACC finally activated even though I was still going in the same direction with the sun at basically the same angle / glare condition. Not having dumb cruise to use when ACC is unavailable is unacceptable.

On a separate note, I'm really not happy with Highway Assist. It confuses shadows for lane lines. It doesn't scootch over when passing vehicles that are themselves close to the lane lines. It's just not a comfortable experience right now. Seems like they have a lot of work to do on that front, but it's not in a state where I've been able to leave it on for more than a minute or two before it does something that forces me to take over while in traffic. Even on just ACC with Lane Keep Assist it will see a tar snake in the middle of the lane and decide it's a new lane line and tries to aggressively shift towards the center line.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
My last truck (Honda Ridgeline) had an almost perfect ACC ... much better than Rivian's. I'm not sure the Rivian cruise control engineers are driving enough to know what we are talking about.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
My last truck (Honda Ridgeline) had an almost perfect ACC ... much better than Rivian's. I'm not sure the Rivian cruise control engineers are driving enough to know what we are talking about.
Well MY Honda has a terrible ACC, the worst I've ever had. It brakes hard whenever the road curves slightly and there is someone ahead of me in an adjacent lane. Since that happens all the time, I have just turned it off because it's unusable. And in the 6 years I've owned the Honda, I NEVER had an update to fix the problem (OTA or otherwise), so it will NEVER get any better than it was when brand new.

The ACC on my Rivian, on the other hand, is just fine. No phantom braking, smooth acceleration and deceleration, great for stop and go traffic, etc. And it keeps getting better with regular OTA updates. I don't use Highway Assist, but I do use the ACC all the time - I've probably driven about 7,000 miles with the ACC on so far.

While I have had a few time the ACC turned off for a short period of time in bad weather, that never bothered me - I like to take control in bad weather anyway. The most recent OTA reduced the chance of it turning off in those conditions, for those that it does bother, and future OTAs will improve it even more.
Sponsored

Last edited: