Sponsored

WA state / Seattle area owners: 11.8% sales tax look right?

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Hi friends, I am so excited I'm in the 8-step process for my R1S. I'm going through my order summary page and seeing that the total taxes applied amount to about 11.87% of my vehicle subtotal. Does this sound right? I thought it would be closer to 10%. Also found a discrepancy in the row where it says "6.50% tax applied" but the amount is 6.62% of the vehicle subtotal. What am I missing? Should I be including destination fee, title & reg etc. in the total before calculating the percentages?

ItemCost% of vehicle Subtotal
Vehicle subtotal$79,450.00
Vehicle Taxes
Vehicle sales tax 6.50% tax applied for WA 981xx$5,261.756.62%
Sales Tax - MV Surcharge$242.850.31%
Sales Tax - Local$3,035.633.82%Total
Sales Tax - RTA$890.451.12%11.87%

Edit: is the expected 10.xx% rate without the RTA tax? Maybe that's what it is ...

Edit 2: tracked down the discrepancy. The taxes seem to be applied to the vehicle subtotal PLUS destination ($1,500). So the updated table looks like this:

ItemCost
Vehicle + destination$80,950.00
Vehicle Taxes
Vehicle sales tax 6.50% tax applied for WA 981xx$5,261.756.50%
Sales Tax - MV Surcharge$242.850.30%
Sales Tax - Local$3,035.633.75%Total
Sales Tax - RTA$890.451.10%11.65%
Sponsored

Last edited:

PNWRIV

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Hi friends, I am so excited I'm in the 8-step process for my R1S. I'm going through my order summary page and seeing that the total taxes applied amount to about 11.87% of my vehicle subtotal. Does this sound right? I thought it would be closer to 10%. Also found a discrepancy in the row where it says "6.50% tax applied" but the amount is 6.62% of the vehicle subtotal. What am I missing? Should I be including destination fee, title & reg etc. in the total before calculating the percentages?

ItemCost% of vehicle Subtotal
Vehicle Taxes
Vehicle sales tax 6.50% tax applied for WA 981xx$5,261.756.62%
Sales Tax - MV Surcharge$242.850.31%
Sales Tax - Local$3,035.633.82%Total
Sales Tax - RTA$890.451.12%11.87%

Edit: is the expected 10.xx% rate without the RTA tax? Maybe that's what it is ...
Here is my breakdown. It seems like I was charged 9.53% total tax before the doc and destination fees. Granted that is partly because the truck is registered on Bainbridge Island so there isn't the huge RTA tax. Not quite sure how they calculate all that in with the Destination Fee and such. Also, my fees on my registration were listed at $261 instead of the $140 they charged me.

Seems like a crap shoot haha
Rivian R1T R1S WA state / Seattle area owners: 11.8% sales tax look right? 1663363282253

OP
OP
sevengroove

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Here is my breakdown. It seems like I was charged 9.53% total tax before the doc and destination fees. Granted that is partly because the truck is registered on Bainbridge Island so there isn't the huge RTA tax. Not quite sure how they calculate all that in with the Destination Fee and such. Also, my fees on my registration were listed at $261 instead of the $140 they charged me.

1663363282253.png
Thanks, yea I think your taxes are all lower because of the trade-in. If we run your percentages based on the net cost after trade-in ($43k?) they seem to line up, except your local sales tax might be lower for Bainbridge.

Plus the lack of RTA of course. So yea, overall I think my numbers pass the sniff test 😅

Reactions: VSG
OP
OP
sevengroove

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Yea it's an unpleasant surprise for sure - I knew about it but I thought it was included the 10.x% figure that most people quote for the Seattle area. Oh well. It makes Rivian's trade-in quote 1.12% more attractive :D

Sponsored

OP
OP
sevengroove

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
There is additional tax on the sale of a new motor vehicle in addition to the sales tax.
Yup, that’s accounted for in the list. I think they got it all, I was just thrown off at first because the percentages based on the vehicle price looked off. They are instead basing taxes on vehicle price + destination fee.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Yup, that’s accounted for in the list. I think they got it all, I was just thrown off at first because the percentages based on the vehicle price looked off. They are instead basing taxes on vehicle price + destination fee.
All of the cars I have purchased over the years and never noticed destination fee as taxable. I did a quick google search and found out it is.

HeresRonnie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Gambler

1663363282253.png
Interesting, I thought passenger trucks over 6000lbs weren't subject to RTA? I have to look back at my order but I don't think I paid it and I live in a RTA area.

OP
OP
sevengroove

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
You're right: https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/rta.html

An R1T at least would qualify as a "medium electric truck" or "passenger truck" over 6,000 lbs and would therefore not have to pay the RTA.

I don't know where they would place the R1S though. I've seen many people refer to SUVs as trucks but I wonder if that same classification applies here. I certainly don't think it's a "passenger car", so perhaps truck is closer?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I don't believe the R1S would qualify as a truck, iirc they have an SUV description in the tax table.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sevengroove

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I don't believe the R1S would qualify as a truck, iirc they have an SUV description in the tax table.
Surprisingly they don't - the closest match to SUV in the passenger car section is ... well, passenger vehicle. They have "medium" and "neighborhood" electric cars, whatever those mean. All of the above are subject to the RTA tax regardless of weight.

The passenger truck table also has an "offroad vehicle" category which is exempt.

Passenger cars
Vehicle typeIs RTA charged?
(Vehicle scale weight 6,000 lbs or less)
Is RTA charged?
(Vehicle scale weight 6,001 lbs or more)
Antique carYesYes
Cargo vanYesNo
Commercial vehiclesYesNo
Exempt (state, county, local, tribal)NoNo
Farm exemptNoNo
Farm useNoNo
For hireYesNo
Government (Federal)NoNo
Medium electric carYesYes
Neighborhood electric carYesYes
Passenger vehicleYesYes
Private schoolNoNo
StageYesNo
Taxi cabYesYes
Passenger trucks
Vehicle typeIs RTA charged?
(Vehicle scale weight 6,000 lbs or less)
Is RTA charged?
(Vehicle scale weight 6,001 lbs or more)
Antique truckYesNo
Cargo vanYesNo
Combination (farm use)NoNo
Combination (non-farm use)YesNo
CommercialYesNo
Exempt (state/county/local/tribal)NoNo
Farm exemptNoNo
Farm useNoNo
Fixed loadYesNo
For hireYesNo
Government (federal)NoNo
LoggingYesNo
Medium electric truckYesNo
Neighborhood electric truckYesNo
Off road vehicle (ORV)NoNo
Passenger truckYesNo
Private school truckNoNo
StageYesNo
Tow truckYesNo

OP
OP
sevengroove

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
FYI for those following this, I just spoke to WA DOL and they said that the R1S would fall under the catch-all "passenger vehicle" category. It does not qualify as a truck despite my best efforts to convince the agent that it shares 80% of its parts with the R1T 😆.

hotsoup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model S, 2022 Polestar 2
Reviving an old thread here, but wanted to see if others were getting billed an RTA tax rate of 1.827%? All the other tax line items check out, but this one seems higher than expected but it doesn't align with official documentation stating a tax rate of 1.1%.

NVM: seems like RTA tax isn't calculated like other taxes on (sale price - trade-in value), but instead on MSRP + destination

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

that looks right. i avoided the RTA tax as i have the R1T but the real killer to me was the local tax.

Robotpedlr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivan R1S
Occupation
Sales
Reviving an old thread here, but wanted to see if others were getting billed an RTA tax rate of 1.827%? All the other tax line items check out, but this one seems higher than expected but it doesn't align with official documentation stating a tax rate of 1.1%.

NVM: seems like RTA tax isn't calculated like other taxes on (sale price - trade-in value), but instead on MSRP + destination
That is correct.. RTA is not like a sales tax (based on Net value after trade), it is based on the full MSRP of the car with a ridiculous amount of annual appreciation, as they charge it annually. If our cars only depreciated by 11% through the 3rd year, we would all be very happy, instead it is just the state that is happy.

Rivian R1T R1S WA state / Seattle area owners: 11.8% sales tax look right? Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 2.19.41 PM
Sponsored