Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

looks to me like externally there is no significant difference in functionality, so they probably didn’t bother with demonstrating. little did they know some of us want specific details of materials, etc.
You may be right. They misread the room on that one.
Sponsored

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

No it was free :p (For LE)
1683837466909.png
🤣

I (think) I see what you did there...

LE base price was $73,000?
Pre 3/1/2022 Adventure Trim base was $71,500, but all also added the $1500 powered tonneau option.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Not crazy about having a manual cover that has to be removed in order to have an uncovered bed. Also, I would not like giving up my gear storage to carry around the disassembled cover. My storage is for my golf clubs! :CWL::CWL:
I don't understand the use case for carrying it around in the gear tunnel and don't get why so many people are complaining. It's nice to know it fits in there if needed but you can just keep it installed or leave it in your garage when you're not using it. If you randomly need to remove it to unexpectedly transport a large item, you can temporarily stash it in the gear tunnel.

ThatRivianGuy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Rivian R1T (Pre-Order)
What are we thinking for pricing of the new electric cover?

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
Rivian has been giving me an icky feeling lately, like the one you get when you know you're being taken advantage of. Honestly, I'm 50/50 on pulling the plug even though I am only a few weeks from my April/May delivery window. (not just about the tonneau)
Quit spending so much time on the forum. The truck / suv will well be worth it, trust me.

Sponsored

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
If you live with a pickup for anytime you will soon realize for most people carrying large items is rare but carrying smaller things you want protected from the weather and prying eyes happens frequently.

The old one piece covers that you lifted up was a pain but these modular or power covers really give you the best of everything.
Actually my biggest reason for wanting the cover was to keep idiots from throwing garbage into my truck.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I have no insight, but I'm guessing the powered covers will get replaced with the improved design only after a failure.
I wonder if I can trade my non-broken one with someone with a broken one? :p

Maybe someone who doesn't know about the replacement coming out.

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
Pieces just all arrived to make my own manual one. These look excellent. Now wondering about whether to bother with the home made option or just wait

Sponsored

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Has the material question for the powered option not been asked/answered on reddit?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
If the motorized tonneau V2 turns out to be a fabric based solution vs. .the original aluminum version ... it's not going to be pleasant around here!

countab45

First Name
aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t white, locked tonneau in open position...
There are two types of powered tonneau covers: broken and soon to be broken.
three types. you need to add the type that were unhooked by rivian on delivery day. mine “works” but has been deactivated until the “fix” comes. so yes i am expecting them to replace my “working” cover.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

What are we thinking for pricing of the new electric cover?
I think the official current position is that Rivian has not committed to making the revised powered tonneau available to new builds. The priority is replacing all 1st gen powered tonneaus currently in the field.

That said, the engineer in the video said something like she could not wait to get the revised powered tonneau back on the production line, so I bet it'll happen. I just have no idea when - s00n, of course, right?

Also, I vaguely recall after the 3/1/2022 price increases, the powered tonneau option was $3500? I could be wrong about that. Hard to know for sure now that the option has been removed.

Anyone else have a memory of $3500 or am I making that up?

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

It appears that the power tonneau slat design is no more? Isn’t that a continuous piece of…… something? Lol….
Oh that's interesting... is it still hard?
Sponsored