Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S swhme's R1T Build Journal Rivian R1T build

Completed so far:
  • Tires: KO2s
  • Racks: Overland Ruff Rax
  • Tent: iKamper Mini
  • Awning: 23zero 270-- note that the brackets it came with don't go quite high enough, and it rubs on the back door. I have aftermarket brackets on the way that should get it at least an inch higher.
  • In bed: Builtright Molle panels (sides and cab wall)
  • Sliders: Weistec
  • ICECO 20L fridge/freezer (will be set to freezer only, and I'll use the ARB as the fridge)
  • Blackstone Electric Griddle
Coming soon:
  • MAXTRAX XTREME (mount on bed rack)
  • DOCK (Dutch Outdoor Camp Kitchen)
  • Midland MXT575 GMRS radio
  • Zarges cases for gear in the bed (the DOCK is based on a zarges case, so they should go together well)
  • ARB Elements Fridge
  • Yakima SkinnyWarrior roof basket (for firewood and other dirty things)
  • Yakima 7gal road shower (on roof)
  • 12 Gallon frunk water sprayer
  • Shovel mount for bed rack
  • GoalZero YETI 1500X (to power fridge and cooking gear without running the inverter)
  • Diesel tent heater + rotopax diesel tank
Still figuring out:
  • Induction burner(s) (I want to figure out a way to mount this to the bed rack, maybe in a small zarges case?)
  • Camp site lighting. I don't need trail lighting, I always set up camp well before sunset, but would like some nice lighting for the camp site in the bed, under the awning, under the tent, and in the tent.
  • I want to figure out a way to mount flat things to the underside of the bed rack. (slim flat tables, chairs, etc). I'm imagining some sort of net with straps to snug things up against the rack so they don't flop about.
My rough plan here is food and "gear" in the bed in the fridge + zarges boxes (cooking supplies, lighting, fire accessories, trauma kit, groover, tent heater, etc). Gear tunnel is for cylindrical things (camp chairs, camp table, etc). Recovery gear under the back seat. Basic FAK and airdown kits in gear tunnel doors. Frunk for clothes and random whatever. Pillows, camera gear, and humans who listen to their father in the cab. Humans who don't listen to their father will go up in the roof basket.

Thoughts? Suggestions? After a year of driving around the streets of New England, I can't wait to take my truck home to Santa Fe and break her in next month. After years of Land Cruiser camping, it feels amazing to have so much space!

A snapshot with the tent and awning deployed at the New England Rivian Meetup last week!
Rivian R1T R1S swhme's R1T Build Journal rivian-r1t-awning-tent-
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Looking great. Are you planning on getting some solar to keep the GZ charged up? Ive got 300W on the roof of my camper and it does a pretty good job on sunny days. Maybe you could glue a couple of flexible panels to the RTT?

Personally I would skip The diesel heater and opt for either an electric blanket attached to the GZ or just a standard space heater to the truck for those cold nights. Carrying diesel sounds like a pain (My opinion)

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Looking great. Are you planning on getting some solar to keep the GZ charged up? Ive got 300W on the roof of my camper and it does a pretty good job on sunny days. Maybe you could glue a couple of flexible panels to the RTT?

Personally I would skip The diesel heater and opt for either an electric blanket attached to the GZ or just a standard space heater to the truck for those cold nights. Carrying diesel sounds like a pain (My opinion)
I haven't thought much about solar, was just planning to charge the GZ from the truck as needed, but I like the idea of flex panels on the RTT.

Good call on the heater-- I'm still going to get the diesel as I ordered it a while back, and I can always use it on my land cruiser. I hadn't really considered a small ceramic space heater-- I just need to figure out a way to place it in the tent without running a fire risk, but we like to camp down to about 20º nights, so a little aux heat would go a long way.

Mcdoo

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo, expedition
Occupation
Engineer
I too have the same issue with my 270 awning. I have the xtrusion overland 18in rack with their awning mount. With my iKamper clamshell open and the tent pushed as far to the passenger side as possible (or as much as I want it over the side of the truck), I can just clear my driver side rear door but I had to add a short set of extrusion to my support rails to add distance away from the truck. Not the most elegant solution for me but I'd be interested in what brackets you found. Mind showing what you found?

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

nice rig!
When did you order your sliders and when did you get them?

Sponsored

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

I too have the same issue with my 270 awning. I have the xtrusion overland 18in rack with their awning mount. With my iKamper clamshell open and the tent pushed as far to the passenger side as possible (or as much as I want it over the side of the truck), I can just clear my driver side rear door but I had to add a short set of extrusion to my support rails to add distance away from the truck. Not the most elegant solution for me but I'd be interested in what brackets you found. Mind showing what you found?
I was actually on the phone with Overland Ruff Rax a few hours ago, and mentioned the issue to him, and he said he’s run into the issue, and designed a 15” lift bracket to get the awning up! So I cancelled the other bracket I’d ordered and ordered this guy: https://overlandruffrax.com/collections/accessories/products/15-inch-awning-mounts-set-of-3

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

nice rig!
When did you order your sliders and when did you get them?
I mis-remembered the brand— these are the Weistec. I ordered them March 2, received them about 2 weeks ago.

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
I haven't thought much about solar, was just planning to charge the GZ from the truck as needed, but I like the idea of flex panels on the RTT.

Good call on the heater-- I'm still going to get the diesel as I ordered it a while back, and I can always use it on my land cruiser. I hadn't really considered a small ceramic space heater-- I just need to figure out a way to place it in the tent without running a fire risk, but we like to camp down to about 20º nights, so a little aux heat would go a long way.
Very nice build, thanks for sharing. Regarding heater ideas, I went with this electric heater and it kept us warm inside the tent in ~30F weather.

Caframo True North Heater. Low Profile, Quiet, Powerful Heater for Work and Home. Black, 11.25" x 8" x 5" (9206CABBX) https://a.co/d/gwWcckH

I put it in this basket and hook it onto one of my tent’s horizontal support bars and then bungee the other end to a roof strap. I wish I could find a photo. I feel it’s much safer than the ceramic and other space heaters I was considering.

Smart Design Undershelf Storage Basket - Small - Snug Fit Arms - Steel Metal Wire - Rust Resistant Finish - Cabinet, Pantry, Shelf Organization - Kitchen (12 x 5.5 Inch) [White] https://a.co/d/gGYFPYI

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

This is a great build, OP. Thanks for sharing. Whenever you have a chance, do you mind posting some more photos? I’d love to see a few more angles.

I’m also curious what you think about the KO2s versus the stock A/T Pirellis?

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Very nice build, thanks for sharing. Regarding heater ideas, I went with this electric heater and it kept us warm inside the tent in ~30F weather.

Caframo True North Heater. Low Profile, Quiet, Powerful Heater for Work and Home. Black, 11.25" x 8" x 5" (9206CABBX) https://a.co/d/gwWcckH

I put it in this basket and hook it onto one of my tent’s horizontal support bars and then bungee the other end to a roof strap. I wish I could find a photo. I feel it’s much safer than the ceramic and other space heaters I was considering.

Smart Design Undershelf Storage Basket - Small - Snug Fit Arms - Steel Metal Wire - Rust Resistant Finish - Cabinet, Pantry, Shelf Organization - Kitchen (12 x 5.5 Inch) [White] https://a.co/d/gGYFPYI
Great idea! Mind posting some pics next time you set it up?

Sponsored

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

This is a great build, OP. Thanks for sharing. Whenever you have a chance, do you mind posting some more photos? I’d love to see a few more angles.

I’m also curious what you think about the KO2s versus the stock A/T Pirellis?
Yep, I’ll get a lot more pics (and post them) once I put things to the test in a few weeks!

KO2s seem great so far. My Pirellis had gotten SO LOUD it was unbearable after ~17k miles, and these are much quieter. I haven’t gone off road with them yet, but I’ve always had good luck on the trail with KO2s, so I’m not worried.

Maybe a little less confident in corners, but I don’t tend to bomb curvy roads in my 7k+ lb pickup truck, I have cars for that 😅

Rainman

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Taycan
View attachment 56193

Completed so far:
  • Tires: KO2s
  • Racks: Overland Ruff Rax
  • Tent: iKamper Mini
  • Awning: 23zero 270-- note that the brackets it came with don't go quite high enough, and it rubs on the back door. I have aftermarket brackets on the way that should get it at least an inch higher.
  • In bed: Builtright Molle panels (sides and cab wall)
  • Sliders: Weistec
  • ICECO 20L fridge/freezer (will be set to freezer only, and I'll use the ARB as the fridge)
  • Blackstone Electric Griddle
Coming soon:
  • MAXTRAX XTREME (mount on bed rack)
  • DOCK (Dutch Outdoor Camp Kitchen)
  • Midland MXT575 GMRS radio
  • Zarges cases for gear in the bed (the DOCK is based on a zarges case, so they should go together well)
  • ARB Elements Fridge
  • Yakima SkinnyWarrior roof basket (for firewood and other dirty things)
  • Yakima 7gal road shower (on roof)
  • 12 Gallon frunk water sprayer
  • Shovel mount for bed rack
  • GoalZero YETI 1500X (to power fridge and cooking gear without running the inverter)
  • Diesel tent heater + rotopax diesel tank
Still figuring out:
  • Induction burner(s) (I want to figure out a way to mount this to the bed rack, maybe in a small zarges case?)
  • Camp site lighting. I don't need trail lighting, I always set up camp well before sunset, but would like some nice lighting for the camp site in the bed, under the awning, under the tent, and in the tent.
  • I want to figure out a way to mount flat things to the underside of the bed rack. (slim flat tables, chairs, etc). I'm imagining some sort of net with straps to snug things up against the rack so they don't flop about.
My rough plan here is food and "gear" in the bed in the fridge + zarges boxes (cooking supplies, lighting, fire accessories, trauma kit, groover, tent heater, etc). Gear tunnel is for cylindrical things (camp chairs, camp table, etc). Recovery gear under the back seat. Basic FAK and airdown kits in gear tunnel doors. Frunk for clothes and random whatever. Pillows, camera gear, and humans who listen to their father in the cab. Humans who don't listen to their father will go up in the roof basket.

Thoughts? Suggestions? After a year of driving around the streets of New England, I can't wait to take my truck home to Santa Fe and break her in next month. After years of Land Cruiser camping, it feels amazing to have so much space!
this is bad ass - well done, although now I’m thinking about spending money that I wasn’t thinking about a couple of hours ago 😀

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Yep, I’ll get a lot more pics (and post them) once I put things to the test in a few weeks!

KO2s seem great so far. My Pirellis had gotten SO LOUD it was unbearable after ~17k miles, and these are much quieter. I haven’t gone off road with them yet, but I’ve always had good luck on the trail with KO2s, so I’m not worried.

Maybe a little less confident in corners, but I don’t tend to bomb curvy roads in my 7k+ lb pickup truck, I have cars for that 😅
Ok with that comment I have to ask what are the 10 cars?

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Ok with that comment I have to ask what are the 10 cars?
Haha, I need to update my profile, I'm down to 8!

Fun in corners:
BMW E93 335i w/tune and suspension upgrades
BMW E61 535i w/tune and suspension upgrades
On the waiting list for a Porsche 911 Targa GTS. Hoping to take delivery in Germany in '25

Fun in general:
Porsche Cayenne GTS w/ manual trans (957)
'83 Mercedes 300TD with rear-facing third row (kids love cruising around town in it!)
Saab 9-3 Convertible (perfect car for cruising around Maine in the summer)

Fun in mountains:
2005 Land Cruiser (built up)
2021 Land Cruiser Heritage Edition (stock except for tires, for now)

Fun everywhere:
Rivian R1T (this one!)

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

A snapshot with the tent and awning deployed at the New England Rivian Meetup last week!

Rivian R1T R1S swhme's R1T Build Journal Rivian R1T awning tent
Sponsored