Sponsored

What *Really* happens to used EV batteries (Jerry Rig Everything vid)

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

We've all seen the FUD about EV battery recycling, or the lack there of. Jerry Rig Everything has a great explainer on how our batteries are being recycled.

Sponsored

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
Thanks for posting that. I was just talking to someone who was adamant that Li-ion batteries were very environmentally unfriendly due to not being recyclable. Good to have some facts to respond with.

SRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
We've all seen the FUD about EV battery recycling, or the lack there of. Jerry Rig Everything has a great explainer on how our batteries are being recycled.

Fascinating. I know that Redwood Materials also recycles in Northern Nevada. Actually not too far from a giga factory. And not too far from a lithium mine, with more mines in the environmental approval stages. Not sure about the level of sophistication of Redwood compared to Arizona.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Thanks for posting that. I was just talking to someone who was adamant that Li-ion batteries were very environmentally unfriendly due to not being recyclable. Good to have some facts to respond with.
Some people “do their own research” and don’t care about facts.

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

Interesting to see. Soooo many missing elements to this process to be able to decide if it's "good" for the environment or not, but nice to see at least there is something happening in this space! Put it in the "dig deeper" category for me.

Sponsored

Stevetom84

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
There are also companies out there that are looking at using batteries that may still be usable, but degraded to a certain point for large scale battery energy storage solutions (BESS). These will often be installed in conjunction with large scale solar installations to keep facailities running off grid when the sun goes down. Other uses include peak shaving, time shifting, and to supplement for things that may have large in rush current that negatively impacts power factor (think large scale industrial facilities).

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Some people “do their own research” and don’t care about facts.
When opinion meets facts, you find the truth 🇺🇸👍🦅

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
You can purchase whole used EV battery packs and also individual cells pulled from EV packs at places like batteryhookup.com for hobby, solar, etc.. uses.
I've purchased several pulled EV cells from them in the past and made them into 12V batteries for our boat using heavy duty BMS boards. Been running it for two full seasons now on batteries made from cells harvested from a BMW EV pack. The batteries I made have plenty of cold cranking amps to start the V6 outboard and weigh less then half of what the old lead-acid batteries weighed. I also don't have to trickle charge them in between uses like I used to do with the lead-acid batts.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I have found that the "most knowledgeable EV Experts" are people who have never researched them and have vowed to never own one.
Sponsored