Sponsored

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
Realistically, Rivian isn’t going to fix this for existing vehicles, even if they change the design in the future. Best case, they offer something you can buy in the shop.

It does seem like there is an opportunity for clean aftermarket options, similar to the wireless charging.
Sponsored

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Realistically, Rivian isn’t going to fix this for existing vehicles, even if they change the design in the future. Best case, they offer something you can buy in the shop.

It does seem like there is an opportunity for clean aftermarket options, similar to the wireless charging.
To a point I agree... unless NHTSA gets involved, and it turns in to a recall or? Would be a bad thing for Rivian.

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
For similar problems, I've seen it suggested to use some hydrophobic coating, like car wax or RainX or similar. It might be a decent amount of work to keep it up to date, but it's probably better than nothing. I used it on my model 3 handles to help reduce the chances of getting frozen handles. It seemed to work, but it could have been situational.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I would start by trying the cheapest, easiest possible solution which is some sort of spray on coating that won't allow the ice to stick. Even if you had to re-apply a couple times per year that would be much simpler than the other options.
Rain-x?

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Rain X would probably be among the cheapest. If one wanted something that lasts longer, a ceramic or graphene hydrophobic coating made for automotive use would probably help.

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
Here in the PNW our snow is mostly on the warm wet and sticky side... So when driving in light to heavy snow flurries we get a lot of build up on our vehicles.. Well the R1T is no different... the big problem is at night the snow covers up the headlights and visibility goes to zero... I have experienced this twice now as we are getting into the snow season here in the Washington Cascades... Last night we had to pull over about every 3 miles to wipe off the headlights... Not fun. There is just not enough heat from the LED lights to melt off the snow. Rivian either needs to add washer nozzles (our Volvo V90 CC has these), or add heated lenses. Heated head light example, Looking a pair of these. Wonder if I could power off frunk 12vdc outlet or tap into fog lights.. Another option is to mount on forward mounted roof cross bar and power from bed outlets some how.. Also researching transparent ITO or thin wire heating element to stick on stock headlights...

I have emailed my guide with pictures and raised this as a safety issue. Will also create service ticket.... And posted here tagging RJ..

Anyway.. beware if you find yourself in wet sticky snow at night...

49ABDEB6-7801-466E-B8C2-1D585B4421B3.jpeg
EAB7009E-8684-483B-94D3-0F632A3925E3.jpeg
6E2B0424-9C21-45D3-BF25-58D24AFB58AE.jpeg
Well known and documented issue which is similar to all LED headlights. Rivian should have addressed this on their ~90k “adventure vehicles”

Tr4ckD4ys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

Well known and documented issue which is similar to all LED headlights. Rivian should have addressed this on their ~90k “adventure vehicles”
So much bitterness… the problem exists with $120k and hell even $240k vehicles with LEDs too… case in point X7 M50i and 911 Turbos…

should have would have could have… I just wish auxiliary lights were easier to hook up on this beast.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Here in the PNW our snow is mostly on the warm wet and sticky side... So when driving in light to heavy snow flurries we get a lot of build up on our vehicles.. Well the R1T is no different... the big problem is at night the snow covers up the headlights and visibility goes to zero... I have experienced this twice now as we are getting into the snow season here in the Washington Cascades... Last night we had to pull over about every 3 miles to wipe off the headlights... Not fun. There is just not enough heat from the LED lights to melt off the snow. Rivian either needs to add washer nozzles (our Volvo V90 CC has these), or add heated lenses. Heated head light example, Looking a pair of these. Wonder if I could power off frunk 12vdc outlet or tap into fog lights.. Another option is to mount on forward mounted roof cross bar and power from bed outlets some how.. Also researching transparent ITO or thin wire heating element to stick on stock headlights...

I have emailed my guide with pictures and raised this as a safety issue. Will also create service ticket.... And posted here tagging RJ..

Anyway.. beware if you find yourself in wet sticky snow at night...

49ABDEB6-7801-466E-B8C2-1D585B4421B3.jpeg
EAB7009E-8684-483B-94D3-0F632A3925E3.jpeg
6E2B0424-9C21-45D3-BF25-58D24AFB58AE.jpeg
Agreed. The problem is _bad_.

I apply dual polimar to the lenses (a super slick vehicle detailer), and keep a bottle in the truck for frequent application. It makes it harder for the snow to stick & stay, but it is just a bandaid on the problem.

Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have two Teslas and a Cadillac with LEDs. I can tell you for a fact that the problem is _not_ "similar" to my other LED equipped vehicles. The flat surface on the R1 makes it uniquely bad.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
“I refuse to apply rainx on my headlights, and instead choose to blame Rivian, because I’m righteous and I’m the consumer!”

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have a ceramic Graphene coating on my entire truck. Does not change headlight performance in wet snow.

OP
OP
skookumracing

skookumracing

Site Sponsor
First Name
Skooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW i3, Volvo V90 CC
Occupation
Engineer

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Rivian R1T R1S Undriveable at night in wet snow due to LED headlights not melting snow & ice PXL_20230223_010129147

Why is it a problem for my LED equipped R1, and not for my LED equipped Y? Observe the above photo. With the lights on the canted surface, the snow is blown off, much like it is on the "T" emblem on the hood. If that T emblem were on the flat nose, it would be covered.

The R1's lights are on the flat nose, and quickly become unusable in this stuff where the Y and the caddy have no such problem; even tho they have similar LEDs.

To those denigrating the people trying to find a solution to this, it is another example of mommy's-basement 2nd-guessing those experiencing problems out here in the real world. It is a serious safety issue; losing your lights on the freeway in a snow storm. Telling us it is not is simply ignorant.
Sponsored