Sponsored

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
To the OP. Man, that sucks - hoping they take good care of you. To be expected with 1st gen deliveries, I guess. I'm glad I ordered the 400 mile R1T, which I probably won't get until late 2023 or 2024. Hopefully most of the bugs will have been fumigated by then. I also have a reservation for a Bronco Badlands as a backup, but I want a RIV!!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

To the OP. Man, that sucks. To be expected with 1st gen deliveries, I guess. I'm glad I ordered the 400 mile R1T, which I probably won't get until late 2023 or 2024. Hopefully most of the bugs will have been fumigated by then. I also have a reservation for a Bronco Badlands as a backup, but I want a RIV!!!
There will probably be new, hopefully less severe bugs by then. Nice Backup.

psklenar

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Would it make sense to leave the 12v on a trickle charger if I'm not going to be driving for several days to a week or more? I've had problems with phantom draws killing my batteries in Subaru's and, especially during the winter, tend to hook up a trickle charger whenever I'm not going to be going anywhere for several days or more.

pat----

guernsej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor; 2015 X5
There's been plenty of discussion about 24V or 48V electrical subsystems, but it hasn't really taken hold for many reasons. The problem is mixed fleets (ICE/hybrid/BEV) combined with the desire to leverage massive volumes of shared electronics across the entire fleet. Simple economies of scale.
Also, regardless of voltage the electrical subsystem still needs a separate battery to remain functional while disconnected from the main battery (for safety reasons, as mentioned above) so 12v/24v/48v doesn't matter - that battery is getting charged by mains and if the charging system has issues, the battery is going to die.

guernsej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor; 2015 X5
Would it make sense to leave the 12v on a trickle charger if I'm not going to be driving for several days to a week or more? I've had problems with phantom draws killing my batteries in Subaru's and, especially during the winter, tend to hook up a trickle charger whenever I'm not going to be going anywhere for several days or more.

pat----
Definitely a good idea if you're leaving it unplugged from the main charger for long periods of time. Otherwise, a direct 12V trickle charger should only be useful if the vehicle's onboard hardware/software is malfunctioning in which case you're better off taking it in for service and getting the issue fixed.

However, if Rivian did weird things with their 12V maintenance charging implementation it's possible that trickle charging the 12V directly could prevent excessive wake-ups...it's something I plan on testing if overnight vampire drain hasn't been solved by the time my R1S shows up, but I honestly don't think it'll make a difference.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ragnouomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE, 2021 Ford Mustang Mach E
Mine has been in the service center for over two weeks now. Had a similar problem where I ran in to a building one night and came back out and attempted to put it in drive when I got pretty much all of the error codes. It ended with asking me to contact service immediately. After attempting reboots and all the stuff over the phone, I ended up having to leave the truck overnight. By the time Rivian got there in the morning, they couldn’t even get the doors to open. They had to climb under the truck to release the park brake and get it in neutral to get it on the tow truck. Last message from the service center was last week saying a new HV battery was in transit. At least I was able to get a loaner while it has been in the shop.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I was picking up my truck at the Bellevue SC today (they were touching up some damage from the vehicle transporter, sounds like this has been a big issue) and saw another El Cap granite R1T with two big jumper packs in the frunk that appeared to be trickle charging the 12V batteries. Hope they chase this one down sooner rather than later. Glad your truck is OK!

FL_EV

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Occupation
retired
I had my 12v battery die on my 2019 Tesla Model 3 during the first month of ownership. I went the go to work one morning and the car was bricked. No power to anything. The tow driver that towed it to Tesla knew about the 12v battery issues and connected his jump box to the 12v port on the front bumper. The car woke up immediately. Tesla replaced the battery with a different type and no issues thereafter. After that episode I have always carried a fully charged jump box in my trunk in my EV’s, just in case.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

wonder if you could run a 12v trickle charger from the 120v outlet in the bed lol. Like snake eating itself.

Sponsored

OP
OP

All_electric_Seattle

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, R1T
Occupation
Construction
Fix / update by @bael who had the same issue:

Link: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...attery-trickle-issue-needs-software-fix.5313/

Got the truck back.
The module that tells the truck it’s going to sleep and the high voltage should trickle the 12v doesn’t always tell it. It’s being worked on, hopefully the next software update contains the fix.
12v batteries got replaced because of it.
Fingers crossed it doesn’t happen again before another update.

Original post:

This morning I got into the truck and both screens were in night mode even though it was daytime. When I attempted to shift into drive multiple warnings popped up. Service airbags, a red truck icon with an exclamation point and others. Was in a hurry so I left. Came back about an hour later and same warnings were on.

Called Rivian service and they started asking questions and I sent them pictures of the screen. We attempted a full reboot (left steering wheel button and hazard flasher button). When I attempted to shift into drive even more warnings popped up including the tortoise. Service advisor said let it go to sleep and he'll get tech support. After 45 minutes the screens wouldn't come on. Just got off the phone with Rivian again after being unable to unlock the doors. They will get back to me. Not great. Had the truck about 5 weeks. Loved it otherwise...
Fix / update by @bael who had the same issue:

Link: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...attery-trickle-issue-needs-software-fix.5313/

Got the truck back.
The module that tells the truck it’s going to sleep and the high voltage should trickle the 12v doesn’t always tell it. It’s being worked on, hopefully the next software update contains the fix.
12v batteries got replaced because of it.
Fingers crossed it doesn’t happen again before another update.

Original post:

This morning I got into the truck and both screens were in night mode even though it was daytime. When I attempted to shift into drive multiple warnings popped up. Service airbags, a red truck icon with an exclamation point and others. Was in a hurry so I left. Came back about an hour later and same warnings were on.

Called Rivian service and they started asking questions and I sent them pictures of the screen. We attempted a full reboot (left steering wheel button and hazard flasher button). When I attempted to shift into drive even more warnings popped up including the tortoise. Service advisor said let it go to sleep and he'll get tech support. After 45 minutes the screens wouldn't come on. Just got off the phone with Rivian again after being unable to unlock the doors. They will get back to me. Not great. Had the truck about 5 weeks. Loved it otherwise...
Less than 24 hours (total) the truck is now fixed. Software issue (supposedly only a few trucks) that doesn't allow the 12 volt battery to get a charge (mentioned by others in this thread). They replaced both the 12 volt batteries, calibrated my windows and detailed my truck (it was filthy). Excellent service, really the best and the Bellevue lot is full of Rivians waiting to be delivered. No R1S yet but they did have an Amazon electric delivery van that I could only see at a distance. Here's one of the batteries they replaced. Love the truck even more. Absence makes the heart grow fonder!
Rivian R1T R1S Truck is bricked! Update FIXED!   [12v battery trickle module software issue] PXL_20220514_002057037

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I had my 12v battery die on my 2019 Tesla Model 3 during the first month of ownership. I went the go to work one morning and the car was bricked. No power to anything. The tow driver that towed it to Tesla knew about the 12v battery issues and connected his jump box to the 12v port on the front bumper. The car woke up immediately. Tesla replaced the battery with a different type and no issues thereafter. After that episode I have always carried a fully charged jump box in my trunk in my EV’s, just in case.
For those of us who venture far from pavement and cell service, it may make sense to keep a fully charged compact jump battery with us if we are locking the vehicle. I could see getting annoyed with myself if I got back to the truck after a hike only to find that I couldn’t unlock it because of a low 12V battery while knowing there was a jump battery unreachable inside.

mstealth22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Ranger 2019
Picked mine up from Bellevue on Monday the 9th, 12v had died, and were replaced. Invoice said both primary and secondary 12v batteries.

HV battery was low, after a few days of sitting around, the 12v quit, and bricked. Was towed in. Seems like a bug, I would expect it to protect itself from completely draining the 12v, and causing damage. Sure brick, and need charged, or jumped and charged, but killing both primary and secondary 12v doesn't make sense. Even my previous ICE truck has a low voltage disconnect, so you could start your truck even if you drain 12v somehow.

Service was not an overly great experience, and I was in a hurry, had a trip to Boise. I paid the bill, but I have some follow up on this being an issue that needs to be covered under warranty.

Was on 2022.11.2 when it happed.

messinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Tech bro
Less than 24 hours (total) the truck is now fixed. Software issue (supposedly only a few trucks) that doesn't allow the 12 volt battery to get a charge (mentioned by others in this thread). They replaced both the 12 volt batteries, calibrated my windows and detailed my truck (it was filthy). Excellent service, really the best and the Bellevue lot is full of Rivians waiting to be delivered. No R1S yet but they did have an Amazon electric delivery van that I could only see at a distance. Here's one of the batteries they replaced. Love the truck even more. Absence makes the heart grow fonder!
PXL_20220514_002057037.jpg
Detailing the car for you is a nice touch by them.
Sponsored