Sponsored

Towing + Efficiency: Please post your experience!

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
Do you have any pictures of how it is fabricated? I've built plenty of things for my vehicles (bumpers/suspension) so I'm comfortable with that. It seems like a great option for having a winch on the front.
Sponsored

Buckets0fun

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
OF
Do you have any pictures of how it is fabricated? I've built plenty of things for my vehicles (bumpers/suspension) so I'm comfortable with that. It seems like a great option for having a winch on the front.
I do and won’t be posting them. As a builder I’m sure you understand how much time($$$) is involved in being the first to engineer something.

We also have a winch mount that hasn’t been installed, haven’t found a need with the current use of the vehicle.
Rivian R1T R1S Towing + Efficiency: Please post your experience! IMG_4469

moonjeong

First Name
Moon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Analytics
We built a front receiver for the vehicle in order to best utilize the SUV for our (needs) / adventures.

Have considered selling them, but decided that I’m not willing to take on the liability. Despite beating the snot out of it off-roading with the camper.
IMG_4471.jpeg
71769442330__D9CDDEB7-850B-425E-8F5F-558BD33012C8.jpeg
What is the range hit with those Toyo tires and what size are they?

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Went out for a first efficiency test with our new (to us) Happier Camper Traveler (HCT). I am not sure whether I did something wrong in this test or if this is just a lucky combination of ideal conditions and trailer-vehicle setup. Either way I was pleasantly surprised. Here is the data.
  • R1T quad large pack with 21” wheels
  • Temperatures in the low to mid 50F
  • Mostly flat to slightly rolling hill interstate averaging 65-66mph using cruise control. Out and back loop
  • HCT is a 14’ shell that is about 8’ tall (8’ 9” with the AC). The width at the widest point is almost exactly the width of the truck which probably helps with efficiency but also lets me see all the way down the side of the rig with the R1T side mirrors.
  • 1.61 mi/kWh average
  • Overall average in the trailer display was 1.7 mi/kWh but that included county roads and town driving at 30-55mph
Rivian R1T R1S Towing + Efficiency: Please post your experience! IMG_8185

Rivian R1T R1S Towing + Efficiency: Please post your experience! IMG_8188

Rivian R1T R1S Towing + Efficiency: Please post your experience! IMG_8187

Rivian R1T R1S Towing + Efficiency: Please post your experience! IMG_8177

Last edited:

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Hmmm. I thought I posted in this thread, but I guess not.

As per my thread, 3500ish pound 18’ tallish teardrop trailer averaged about 1.2 mi/kWh over 4500 miles of mostly interstate 60+ MPH driving.

Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Hmmm. I thought I posted in this thread, but I guess not.

As per my thread, 3500ish pound 18’ tallish teardrop trailer averaged about 1.2 mi/kWh over 4500 miles of mostly interstate 60+ MPH driving.
I remember that post and it was helpful! Based on this, some other information here and videos on the intertubes, I was expecting somewhere between 1.0-1.3 mi/kWh for my setup so I was surprised to see significantly higher numbers. One might speculate that the teardrop shape is not as helpful to the trailer Cd as we thought. But I also notice that the Tab400 is a foot wider than the HCT. Also while on paper the height of the two trailers is within an inch, in actuality the height without the AC is almost a foot lower for the HCT than the tab, I think. And the sides are scalloped out to lower the effective height even more in some places. For now I am attributing the results to lower cross sectional area.

Is the 18’ length on your tab with the tounge or just the shell of the camper?

JamuJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 2500, Polestar 2, R1T Max Pack Performance
Occupation
Retired Petroleum Engineer
For those of us waiting (patiently.... or otherwise) for our trucks who tow, having some real life data of towing from you all fortunate enough to have gotten deliveries already would be helpful.

If it's not too much trouble, could you post up trip examples with conditions, trip length, type of driving (mostly highway, city, etc), energy usage, type/weight of trailer, etc?
You might find my thread “First 1800 miles towing an Airstream” of interest, by JamuJoe. The short answer: Although my average has been 1.1 miles/kWh, it varies quite a bit due to environmental conditions. The onboard computer is reliable in predicting range, if you enter your destination, far better than trying to theorize it yourself.

Billybobgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
5x9 boxed trailer weighs about 1500 lbs when loaded. Historically get around 1.6 to 1.7 ish at 65mph when temps are probably 50 or greater. Did a 700 mile trip in January when the last large cold snap went through and was getting around 1.4 ish until the temps got around 15 or lower and snowing and then dropped a bit. I'll be doing the reverse in about two weeks and should have more reasonable numbers. On the long trip I was able to stay in the 10 - 75% range and had legs of about 120 miles between charging.

All told this is based off around 1500 miles of towing mostly at highway. When towing over new years at 50 mph or lower much less range lost and probably around 2.0 or better. I've got the quad with 21 in wheels and over 14k miles have averaged just under 2.3 including the towing. If your planning on a teardrop even if it's slightly bigger or a little heavier I wouldn't worry to much about range. Just do a long leg start and then the shorter legs after. Have also towed it with wife's id4 and get around 1.9 at highway, down from usual 3.2 or better.

I'm going to be looking to sell the hiker trailer soon and have an order in for happier camper breeze due for completion in spring. Still a light trailer just a little bigger to have room for all the beasts that are there with wife and I. See below picture of one of the beasts.

Rivian R1T R1S Towing + Efficiency: Please post your experience! PXL_20221106_135232622

JamuJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 2500, Polestar 2, R1T Max Pack Performance
Occupation
Retired Petroleum Engineer
For those of us waiting (patiently.... or otherwise) for our trucks who tow, having some real life data of towing from you all fortunate enough to have gotten deliveries already would be helpful.

If it's not too much trouble, could you post up trip examples with conditions, trip length, type of driving (mostly highway, city, etc), energy usage, type/weight of trailer, etc?
R1T Max Pack Dual Performance. 28’ Airstream, dual axle, 7500 lbs. 3750 miles this trip. Weather ranging from 20F to 60F, most of the trip cold and windy. Mix of mountains in Colorado and rolling interstate. Avg speed 60-65 mph. Overall average efficiency 1.1 mpkWh. 26 DCFC stops, only had to unhitch once. Only one charging station failure. No issues charging in campgrounds, only one added a small fee. Very positive experience!

Sponsored

pdxdriver

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ordered R1S
Occupation
retired
This is a great thread. I'm looking at buying a smaller teardrop trailer next spring that should weigh ~1000 lbs dry and have been curious as to mi/kWh you guys are seeing. Based on results so far is 1.5 to 1.75 even possible with that little weight?
You should get at least 150–200 miles on the full charge with that trailer. We have a 2300 pound travel trailer, on the flat I can go 200 miles with it if I keep the speed at 60, with hills my range drops down between 100 and 150. Going downhill, I usually gain 1 to 3% back over 10 to 12 miles, so I am less worried about getting down from my destination if it ends uphill. Using the app, a better route planner (ABRP) has been surprisingly close, not perfect, but it allows you to plug-in , your expected charging states, along with the weight of your load, and it takes into the topography surprisingly well

OP
OP
TheIglu

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
That is impressive. I really wish they mode one of those as a collapsing hard roof toy hauler!
Sponsored