Sponsored

itripn

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi E-tron, R1S Adventure (Compass Yellow)
Occupation
CTO
Hey all, I've been starting to log efficiency when carrying a roof top tent (RTT), pulling a trailer, and both. The RTT is a Roofnest Condor Overland 2, which is around 190lbs, and is 12" high. It is mounted on the stock cargo bars in the first two positions. The trailer is a 14ft Bean Stalker, and the R1S senses it between 2000lbs and 2500lbs, which is about right dry weight wise. I've attached a recent photo of the setup to help visualize.

While by no means scientific, I've used a route that is about 29 miles and consists of a relatively flat (some minor rollers) road. I've recorded efficiency in both directions, and the spreadsheet (attached) indicates which drive mode, and what other pieces of information I find relevant. Note that "Ideal Range" is just efficiency * 135kWh.

I've not pulled the trailer yet by itself, so in my mind the trailer + RTT represents worst case scenario. I will eventually pull the trailer solo (without tent) and will update the thread when I get that recorded.

I've pulled this trailer with my Model Y on multiple occasions, and the Rivian is quite a bit more efficient even with the RTT on top. This makes sense to me because I think the Rivian is already taking a much bigger aero hit than the Model Y, and so the difference from the trailer is minimum and then it just becomes a matter of the weight of the trailer.

Happy to take feedback, suggestions, etc, as I continue to log this data.

Cheers,
Ron

Rivian R1T R1S Towing a Teardrop Trailer with an R1S Quad (+ roof top tent RTT) -- Efficiency Log Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 10.48.13 AM

Rivian R1T R1S Towing a Teardrop Trailer with an R1S Quad (+ roof top tent RTT) -- Efficiency Log IMG_2485 Large
Sponsored

Last edited:

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Yep, aerodynamics is the big killer, not weight. The Rivian already being less aerodynamic than a Model Y would cause it to lose less with that teardrop behind.

I towed a slightly larger teardrop a few thousand miles last year, and would get ~1.7 mi/kWh at steady-state 45 MPH, down to 1.2 mi/kWh at steady 65.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

That's a very cool set-up. You must be very popular at the campground.

Brian

OP
OP
itripn

itripn

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
That's a very cool set-up. You must be very popular at the campground.

Brian
Thanks! Certainly turns some heads, and the rangers in particular like to stop by and chat about it, especially the charging off the RV hookup situation 😁

Ron

ThisIsMyHandle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LS FE 22 Dark, Kia EV6 AWD GT-Line
FWIW I haven't noticed anything from my RTT on the bed. I haven't towed yet either.....

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Thanks! Certainly turns some heads, and the rangers in particular like to stop by and chat about it, especially the charging off the RV hookup situation 😁

Ron
Be careful - some campgrounds don't let you do that. The Thousand Trails in South Beach didn't let me. I've never had a state park campground complain, though.

I have charged two EVs at the same time at LaPine, though! (Plus the trailer plugged in - trailer in TT-30, Rivian in NEMA 14-50, Mach-E in NEMA 5-15. This was with our old trailer.)

Rivian R1T R1S Towing a Teardrop Trailer with an R1S Quad (+ roof top tent RTT) -- Efficiency Log IMG_7673

OP
OP
itripn

itripn

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
Be careful - some campgrounds don't let you do that. The Thousand Trails in South Beach didn't let me. I've never had a state park campground complain, though.
Indeed. Never had a state park (over a dozen) have an issue, but have had an RV Park or two complain, which is why I now request they write me back confirming they understand I will charge as part of the reservation process. It's less and less a problem these days, except for the occasional very rural park.

Cheers,
Ron

Sponsored

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
I've only been confronted about charging one time, and a quick cash gratuity made it OK...agree that I've never had a complaint from a State Park (sample size only 2 states).

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Indeed. Never had a state park (over a dozen) have an issue, but have had an RV Park or two complain, which is why I now request they write me back confirming they understand I will charge as part of the reservation process. It's less and less a problem these days, except for the occasional very rural park.
One I stopped at on my big road trip had a very clear "no charging EVs" sticker on every site's electrical box. It was two blocks from a RAN, so I didn't plug in. (Of course, that night was the night RAN turned on billing - I should have gone over and charged the night I arrived, rather than the next morning. Oops.)

Another complained about me plugging in until I pointed out the multiple gigantic "full length slide-out" Class A RVs and converted semi trailer using both 50A and 30A for a single vehicle; probably drawing more energy in 24 hours than I'd draw overnight topping off. Power is power, it doesn't matter what it's going to. And I was plugging the Rivian into the NEMA 5-15 "household" outlet because my site's 50A was broken! "Dude, I'm using less energy than a hairdryer. Less continuous power than those behemoths are using idle." (This was near San Diego where it was 90°F at 9 PM, so those gigantic rigs were running house-style air conditioners that had to be drawing 4+ kW.)

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

1.6mi/kw for me average at about 60mph in a DM. It stays in AWD while towing FYI. 4K lb trailer. Those RTTs kill efficiency all by themselves.
Rivian R1T R1S Towing a Teardrop Trailer with an R1S Quad (+ roof top tent RTT) -- Efficiency Log 2024-01-04 15.29.48

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
I feel like I'm looking at a picture in a brochure. Go get that stuff dirty and get some of that gear scuffed up! Get that thing offroad and post some boondocking pics :)

Joules Burn

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L FE
Occupation
Retired Electronics
How about dirty and stepped on?
I feel like I'm looking at a picture in a brochure. Go get that stuff dirty and get some of that gear scuffed up! Get that thing offroad and post some boondocking pics :)
How about dirty and stepped on?

Rivian R1T R1S Towing a Teardrop Trailer with an R1S Quad (+ roof top tent RTT) -- Efficiency Log IMG_7304web

Rivian R1T R1S Towing a Teardrop Trailer with an R1S Quad (+ roof top tent RTT) -- Efficiency Log IMG_7286web
Sponsored