Sponsored

Towing + Efficiency: Please post your experience!

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Only trailer experience I had was with this uHaul 77 miles total, half empty half filled with trees. Empty 35 miles was on back roads doing 55mph, built up confidence in the range estimates and took the highway back mostly at 70-75mph. Worked like a charm and the estimate seemed to adjust pretty quickly to the load but started off assuming it was a full 11k lbs. 1.35mi/kWh
Edit: I have AT 20"s
Rivian R1T R1S Towing + Efficiency: Please post your experience! PXL_20221022_140657494.MP
Rivian R1T R1S Towing + Efficiency: Please post your experience! PXL_20221022_163147765
Sponsored

Last edited:

ThePineappleWins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Has anyone tried to tow a 19 foot Yamaha Jet boat. I have a 195S, single axle trailer, that comes in at about 3500LB. I need to make 140 (70 each way, flat highway) miles trip while towing without charging. I have a R1T with 20 ATs on order but I'm very worried about having the range for this trip.

srazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y and R1T
Has anyone pulled a trailer yet using Conserve mode?

I asked since I have about a half dozen times and it pulls just as good (suspension stiff - ride height normal - auto off). When I was in for service I asked about this since we have a typical trip that uses a freeway with no charging stations between point A and point B. Service said "I don't see why it would be an issue." Also "no reason why that would void warranty."

Thoughts?

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
No trailer brakes would be my concern. For a light trailer with none it probably wouldn’t hurt but I tow 7000lbs and want the brakes and load leveling from tow mode.

srazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y and R1T
No trailer brakes would be my concern. For a light trailer with none it probably wouldn’t hurt but I tow 7000lbs and want the brakes and load leveling from tow mode.
Ah good point. That wasn't front of mind with me. My enclosed trailer varies in weight but its about 3000lbs empty and regen works great for me with a little braking applied at times.

Honestly, pressing a button on steering wheel when you need trailer brakes to work is counterintuitive to me and I hardly ever use it since its something new to retrain myself to use.

Sponsored

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
Has anyone pulled a trailer yet using Conserve mode?

I asked since I have about a half dozen times and it pulls just as good (suspension stiff - ride height normal - auto off). When I was in for service I asked about this since we have a typical trip that uses a freeway with no charging stations between point A and point B. Service said "I don't see why it would be an issue." Also "no reason why that would void warranty."

Thoughts?
Why would there be any concern on voiding the warranty?? For what reason?

srazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y and R1T
Why would there be any concern on voiding the warranty?? For what reason?
The discussion was around towing and not being in "towing mode" while actually towing. I agree that it shouldn't be an issue but the truck does notify you when switching out of tow mode that you could cause damage hence the reason I originally asked.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Ah good point. That wasn't front of mind with me. My enclosed trailer varies in weight but its about 3000lbs empty and regen works great for me with a little braking applied at times.

Honestly, pressing a button on steering wheel when you need trailer brakes to work is counterintuitive to me and I hardly ever use it since its something new to retrain myself to use.
The trailer brakes apply automatically in proportion to the amount of brake pedal depressed. The steering wheel button is the full lock button for testing or emergencies.

srazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y and R1T
The trailer brakes apply automatically in proportion to the amount of brake pedal depressed. The steering wheel button is the full lock button for testing or emergencies.
Really? I don't seem to notice anything from the trailer when braking but then again like I've mentioned before, my trailer is relatively light so the regen may be doing all the work instead.

I'll have to ramp up the gain pretty high and get it a test.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

I managed to burn through 35% of my battery in 52 miles with an empty aluminum utility trailer this morning in 35* weather. Was doing about 70 max, avg 48mph overall including stoplights etc. The trailer has a flip up full width ramp that is effectively an air brake, will try again tomorrow with it folded down flat against the deck. Big ask but did make me ponder the second leg of my journey and decided to fill up to 100% before attempting the next 100 mile loop with a load. Will post mi/kWh once I track them better.

Sponsored

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
Really? I don't seem to notice anything from the trailer when braking but then again like I've mentioned before, my trailer is relatively light so the regen may be doing all the work instead.

I'll have to ramp up the gain pretty high and get it a test.
It only triggers when you actually hit the brake pedal. You’ll see it on the bottom right of the IC when it’s braking. It doesn’t work with one-pedal. I’m not sure if this is a good thing or not. On one hand, it’s more efficient. On the other, it’s maybe a little less safe/stable. 🤷‍♂️

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Trailering tracking in conserve mode, based on 3 cases:
1. Control without trailer: 2.21 mi/kWh, median speed ~70, avg 43-49mph
2. Aluminum flat 15' trailer with half height flip up ramp: 35% consumption over 52miles circa 1.15 mi/kWh
3. Same trailer with ramp folded flat: 1.39 mi/kWh
4. Loaded with golf cart and ramp up: 1.26 mi/kWh (this was over 102 miles with 70 median, 48avg)

Temp relatively stable around 28-34*F and no major head/tail winds, 20" AT

Understand these aren't maybe the most repeatable scenarios but throwing in some data since had to deadhead.
Conclusion: if your empty trailer is causing too much drag, throw a golf cart on it :CWL:
Other conclusion: not a perfect test.

swazi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Trailering tracking in conserve mode, based on 3 cases:
1. Control without trailer: 2.21 mi/kWh, median speed ~70, avg 43-49mph
2. Aluminum flat 15' trailer with half height flip up ramp: 35% consumption over 52miles circa 1.15 mi/kWh
3. Same trailer with ramp folded flat: 1.39 mi/kWh
4. Loaded with golf cart and ramp up: 1.26 mi/kWh (this was over 102 miles with 70 median, 48avg)

Temp relatively stable around 28-34*F and no major head/tail winds, 20" AT

Understand these aren't maybe the most repeatable scenarios but throwing in some data since had to deadhead.
Conclusion: if your empty trailer is causing too much drag, throw a golf cart on it :CWL:
Other conclusion: not a perfect test.
At what temperature is your control?

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

At what temperature is your control?
That's a tough one, typically 68 but I started to freeze and am not sure I had it off auto. I also need to follow up on the recirculation turning off post because I'd like to keep recirc on in the winter but it kicks off quickly. When I can I preheat before unplugging.
Now realizing you probably meant the outside temp for just the control run? All were within 3 days with same temp ranges +/- 5*F

My drives were 80% 60-70mph highway and 20% through two small towns dropping to 40,30, stop sign, 30, 40, back up to speed then a more commercial area at the end with a lot of stoplights on 40mph road.

swazi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
That's a tough one, typically 68 but I started to freeze and am not sure I had it off auto. I also need to follow up on the recirculation turning off post because I'd like to keep recirc on in the winter but it kicks off quickly. When I can I preheat before unplugging.
Now realizing you probably meant the outside temp for just the control run? All were within 3 days with same temp ranges +/- 5*F

My drives were 80% 60-70mph highway and 20% through two small towns dropping to 40,30, stop sign, 30, 40, back up to speed then a more commercial area at the end with a lot of stoplights on 40mph road.
Thanks, it's surprising the drop in range with a flat trailer. I was hoping your control numbers were in higher temps
Sponsored