Sponsored

Top 5 Reasons Switching to a Tesla Dominated NACS Standard is a Colossal Mistake for the Consumer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rjalbright3

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 M3P, 2011 Ford F350
I would be far happier if Elon submitted NACS to a 3rd party for standardization as well I agree with that. I just want working chargers that are reliable and Tesla has by far the most reliable system. No one else comes close. That is sad.
The NACS IP has already been made public by tesla. Anyone can build out a network if they want.

These threads are so comical. All this hate of what it undoubtedly the best charging standard currently because people don’t like a guy…. Like anyone gave a care whose pockets they were lining when they filled their cars with fuel a few years ago….
Sponsored

Toadkillerdog

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo, 2020 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Physician
The NACS IP has already been made public by tesla. Anyone can build out a network if they want.

These threads are so comical. All this hate of what it undoubtedly the best charging standard currently because people don’t like a guy…. Like anyone gave a care whose pockets they were lining when they filled their cars with fuel a few years ago….
I don’t hate Musk. I don’t hate CCS or NACS. I do doubt other companies than Tesla are able to build a quality reliable NACS charging network. They haven’t so far anyway. Edit: (with CCS)

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY

The IP isn’t public in that Tesla hasn’t relinquished control or ownership. It is still listed on their legal page as patents that are covered by their “good faith” clause—which is a concept very far removed from open and free.

https://www.tesla.com/legal/additional-resources#patent-list

https://patents.google.com/patent/USD694188S1/en

https://patents.google.com/patent/USD724031S1/en

IMG_6750.jpeg

Last edited:

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Tech Crunch

If Tesla wants to maintain its Supercharger network’s reputation, it’s got some work to do.

The automaker has recently agreed to open a large portion of its chargers to Ford and GM starting next year. The move promises to bolster Tesla’s bottom line as it begins to monetize a costly capital investment, but it also risks upsetting existing and future owners, who will soon have to contend with more competition for charging space.

Currently, Tesla drivers can charge at the largest and most well-distributed network in the U.S that utilizes some of the sleekest hardware and technology. Given Tesla’s total fleet size in the U.S., there are only about 80 cars competing for any given charging stall. That low number has meant that wait times are usually minimal to nonexistent. (Holidays and weekends at high-traffic locations are exceptions, of course.) Tesla’s vehicle-charger ratio is more than twice as good as its competitors combined.

But the Ford and GM deals throw those numbers into doubt by opening more than 12,000 Supercharger stalls out of the 19,210 that Tesla has installed to date. Both GM and Ford have a large number of EVs on the road today — about 120,000 and 90,000, respectively — and they have plans to ramp up North American production significantly.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Did he lie about something? What word did he say about the supercharger network? And wouldn't it even be better to use even temporarily than not at all? There's like 100 things wrong with that logic all because people seem to have a personal vendetta against Elon.. I think what Volkswagen did with dieselgate was like the worst thing ever but I'll use an EA charger all day if it's even 2 cents cheaper than a supercharger
I don't have a vendetta against Elon. I have 0 issue with him in fact. He is an unethical businessman though and there's no denying it. Trusting someone like that to keep their word isn't a good strategy for anyone else.

Sponsored

Toadkillerdog

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo, 2020 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Physician
Tech Crunch

If Tesla wants to maintain its Supercharger network’s reputation, it’s got some work to do.

The automaker has recently agreed to open a large portion of its chargers to Ford and GM starting next year. The move promises to bolster Tesla’s bottom line as it begins to monetize a costly capital investment, but it also risks upsetting existing and future owners, who will soon have to contend with more competition for charging space.

Currently, Tesla drivers can charge at the largest and most well-distributed network in the U.S that utilizes some of the sleekest hardware and technology. Given Tesla’s total fleet size in the U.S., there are only about 80 cars competing for any given charging stall. That low number has meant that wait times are usually minimal to nonexistent. (Holidays and weekends at high-traffic locations are exceptions, of course.) Tesla’s vehicle-charger ratio is more than twice as good as its competitors combined.

But the Ford and GM deals throw those numbers into doubt by opening more than 12,000 Supercharger stalls out of the 19,210 that Tesla has installed to date. Both GM and Ford have a large number of EVs on the road today — about 120,000 and 90,000, respectively — and they have plans to ramp up North American production significantly.
Nice. I haven’t thought about that side enough. On the other hand it will relieve pressure on CCS chargers so I can charge myRiviand and other EV.

gt2690b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
I don't have a vendetta against Elon. I have 0 issue with him in fact. He is an unethical businessman though and there's no denying it. Trusting someone like that to keep their word isn't a good strategy for anyone else.
I'm just specifically asking regarding the NACS... what lies you're worried about?

That he'll open up the network then close it one day? How's that different than now? I don't understand how anyone wouldn't want access to it.. I want access to everything

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Thank you for acknowledging that—it honestly feels like very few people have.

And yes, I agree that the reliability and availability of superchargers are great.
Two items in news today.
1. CharIn said today that it "will work to convene an open task force to align requirements to submit NACS to the standardization process."

2. Here are the charging station companies that have announced support for NACS:

• ABB
  • Blink Charging
  • Chargepoint
  • EVgo
  • FLO
  • Tritium
  • Wallbox
ChargePoint is the latest to say that it will soon have NACS connectors on its DC fast-chargers:

ChargePoint’s Express 250 (DC), Express Plus (DC), CPF50 (AC) CP6000 (AC), and the award-winning Home Flex (AC) all offer modular connectors for both customer preference and serviceability. ChargePoint will soon be offering a NACS connector option for all of these products, with cost-effective field upgrades available for chargers that are already in service. Thanks to this approach, existing customers can be confident their investment is protected.

Bearmountain

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 cts, 2000 dakota r/t
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer, Mechanical, Electrical, General Contractor
Europe isn't doing anything. They could absolutely care less what we do in the US. They have the largest EV market share in the world and they forced standardization to CCS years ago across their infrastructure. All Tesla's in Europe use CCS. They also have a standards body - and the charging experience in Europe is hands down better than the US all with CCS architecture.

The issue isn't the port - it is how you standardize the user experience which is what the WH is doing with Billions in NEVI funding.
My statement about EU was me being sarcastic .

fluffhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
isthisrequired
The reason I got a Rivian is that it’s a fantastic truck. I wouldn’t care if it was made by Tesla, GM, Ford, or BMW. I bought it for what it is. Apparently after reading this thread , there’s a lot of Rivian owners that that went with Rivian simply because they perceived it as being the Anti-Tesla. Why does this tribe mentality have to be so pervasive in literally everything? My personal opinion is that Elon Musk and Tesla do make some mistakes but they are always trying to do the right thing. Clearly Full Self Driving hasn’t worked out the way Elon envisioned, and it’s steered the company into the awkward situation of selling something very expensive that hasn’t been worth it (yet). But they’ve done so much for the advancement of EVs including Rivian, that to be distrustful of them even though they’ve created the best charging standard and the best charging network just doesn’t t make any sense. In Fact we should really be viewing NACS as a lifeline for Rivian. It could literally save the company and help with massive adoption of EVs

Sponsored

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
I like Elon Musk and believe he genuinely wants to make the world a better place. As for the cords being too short... Tesla engineers are plenty talented enough to solve such a trivial problem. As for the 800v-1000v cars charging slower... At least they can count on the chargers to work when they drive up to them.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Of course I don‘t know for sure, but it’s a logical assumption. Rivian is a small public company in the business of selling EVs. We are seeing the start of a domino effect towards NACS. Rivian has no real interest in CCS other than it already exists on the cars and they have a handful of RAN built out. The investment to switch isn‘t huge, but the risks of getting suck on a dying technology in north America is huge. If they decided to die on the CCS hill you’d see share holder lawsuits as customers revolt. No chance that happens. I’ll reply back here in 90 days with a link the the announcement :)

We can have a difference of opinion here and time will absolutely tell.

I don't think there will be a domino effect because OEMs have invested too much into their platforms. Remember, NACS is banned in Europe, so there will be OEMs that have a large presence there since the European market is huge for EVs that simply don't want to support two different standards across their product line.

I'll meet you back here in 90 days and we'll see what the update is.
well we did agree to meet back here within 90 days :)

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
It only took 11 days, for those reading at home. 😁

FWIW, I'm feeling more joy in the announcement than I thought I would. I still do have longer term concerns about this though.

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Notice how Rivian said it was continuing to build out the RAN network and it would continue to provide CCS adapters to vehicles in the future.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.