First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I blame the rushed fix for dual motor gauge view.
So, the rush to fix the broken software broke the software more...

That is kind of making it look like a systemic problem. Add the "overseas devs" piece to the puzzle, and a picture is starting to form... 👀
Sponsored

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
Not to minimize how horrible the situation is, but I have to ask: why on earth would you do a software update unless the vehicle is parked safely in your garage / driveway at home?
Because I had 2 hours to let it run and we've never had updates that have bricked the vehicle before. Ironically, last night was the FIRST time I'd ever kicked off an update when not at home. Figures. So, yes, it was dumb of me, but this 100% should not happen, either.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Not to minimize how horrible the situation is, but I have to ask: why on earth would you do a software update unless the vehicle is parked safely in your garage / driveway at home?
It’s a fair question. I have made sure to only attempt updates on my truck while either parked at work or at home. It’s not a phone update.

That being said, people SHOULDN’T have to worry about that and Rivian will have to take steps to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I completely agree with this sentiment. I LOVE the vehicle, but it is becoming a burden and inconvenience to own. And like you said, there are really no signs of improvement. If anything, things are getting worse.
If I could sell it for what I paid, it'd be a tough decision.
So sell it and move on.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Add me to the list of failed updates last night. I was able to drive to work today with a basic speedo and no infotainment (used the app to pre-heat the car and it stayed on during the drive). I reached out to service to let them know I was able to get to work but wanted guidance on what I should do now as far as next steps to get this resolved.

"We currently recommend not driving the vehicle at this time. With out safety features on the infotainment it could be unsafe to drive. We are working around the clock to address the issue and at this time are providing ride share credits or loaners as needed."

I asked if it was safe enough to drive back home and they said:

"We currently are advising to not drive the vehicle as it does not have access to the back up camera or safety cameras."

I replied with Ok. Duly noted. I'll take the chance though to at least get it back home. I'll use my Tesla in the meantime until Rivian can get this straightened out.

They responded with "It is your Vehicle if you do feel safe without those functions you may drive it. We are working on a solution and will be contacting customers as soon as possible" and added "That sounds like a great option. I do apologize for the inconvenience. If anything changes chat us back and we will issue rideshare credits or setup a rental for you."

So there you have it - drive at your own risk, Rivian's guidance is to not drive it at all and will provide you with Uber/Lyft/Enterprise while you wait for further instructions. Hopefully this will be addressed with an OTA fix, but if they need us to wait for a Service Center or Mobile appointment, we'll be in for a hell of a wait. The last time I tried to schedule something at Brooklyn was early Summer and they were more than 2 months out.
So basically they're telling everyone to not drive the vehicle for liability reasons, but there's really no reason not to drive it unless you require all the Driver+ features. My backup camera does function while in reverse, there's just no way to change the camera view or get the top-down 360 view at the moment.

Sponsored

anotherburrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3 LR + Boost
I'm an early adopter of many pieces of tech that I'm interested in. Include Tesla and Rivian in that. I'm also fine with being an early updater for my Rivian. I'm willing to accept things like the Driver+ acting wonky or the speakers being weird for a bit.

I'm not OK with my HVAC, Charging, Nav, Suspension, and Security being down because of poor release protocols. I work in tech, I know sometimes buggy updates happen. You absolutely should NOT be able to push a complete failure of an update out as Rivian just did. It shouldn't be possible.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
So, the rush to fix the broken software broke the software more...

That is kind of making it look like a systemic problem. Add the "overseas devs" piece to the puzzle, and a picture is starting to form... 👀
So when there were software updates you liked and worked well for you, did you credit the “overseas devs” piece of the puzzle?

anotherburrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3 LR + Boost
Oh, and chat told me the vehicle was fine to drive, so they better get all their customer success people in an All-hands meeting this morning to get them consistent information. Don't drive it, and drive it are very different recommendations.

ath2001

First Name
Anand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Management Consulting
Yeah this is important. I open the ticket as well. I was just very polite got on the chat told them that I know they're working the issue but I'm one of the affected and wanted to let them know so I can get on whatever list. They thanked me an apologized and said that they logged my VIN.

I'm sure they'll be able to tell who has and has not been affected but it doesn't hurt to have it documented and if there ever was any sort of compensation you probably be on the list for that then.
They asked if I have other mode of transportation. I’m sure they would have offered Uber credits to go around.

Sponsored

Kachook

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Mustang Mach-E, Odyssey and former iX
This is my third electric vehicle (all since 2021 onward) and each of them have had some kind of bug for a period of time. For me, the vehicle is drive-able. I have a speedometer, gear selector, battery charge indicator and wiper control. Those are the big things. My Ford MME has been trouble-free, but there are others who needed an HVBJB replacement because the car went into turtle-mode or just stopped for which Ford is finally doing a recall. Our iX was in the shop three times in less than a year and we could not get the car out of park one time and it needed to be towed. I have never owned a Tesla, but I have a lot of friends who complain about things like their screen bricking, etc. So, stuff will happen. Anyone expecting perfection has either lived a charmed life or is just not being realistic. Yes, it sucks if you were stranded doing the update (although I have always been told to only update at home) and it sucks if as an adult you cannot estimate your own speed in your vehicle. Realistically, this company has been delivering cars for two years. So, I am expecting that there will be issues.

IThinkFreely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Bronco Badlands
Wow - first software glitch I can recall (I've had the truck since Aug '22) and the hyperbole on here is pretty crazy. People are 'livid'?? The car is a 'burden' and 'inconvenience'? About a glitch that in no way affects the truck's ability to drive, or indicate or show you speed and battery state?

Some folks seem to live a pretty pampered and first-world life.

I recall the good old days where I had to slide under my '91 2-dr Explorer to whack the solenoid to get her going - every time, rain or shine, on my back. And didn't think much of it!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
He crossed a line and seems to be doubling down. Now on ignore
I should probably do the same, but I have yet to add anyone to ignore. I enjoy continuing responding to the people who have told me they put me on ignore knowing they won’t see it and I don’t want to be on the other side of that :giggle:

Stevetom84

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
This absolutely sucks for all those impacted and there should be systems in place to prevent something like this from happening. I’m sure Rivian is doing everything they can to get this figured out and fixed with an OTA hotfix.

All vehicles today rely on software to function and there is a risk of something going wrong. It’s the software engineers responsibility to minimize those risks to the furthest extent possible. For example I had VW ID.4 that got a software update that bricked the vehicle. It took a solid 6 weeks at the dealer to get it up and running again. Certainly not an excuse, but it does happen to others.

Rivian will be judged more on how they respond to this and get it corrected. There will be some that this is the last straw and they abandon the brand. If they get this corrected quickly and painlessly it will be a thing of the past for most. For me the big thing that will change is I’ll likely wait at least a day before installing any update in the future.
Sponsored