Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Meh. These updates are becoming less and less useful. Where's the new content like additional music services and texting integration? You know, stuff that you'd get on a 2014 Subaru?
Guessing you never tow with your 2014 subaru?
Sponsored

ADVNOW

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler JK, JL 4XE
Occupation
Manufacturing
Clubs

Great to see Halloween mode is back I hope they extend the time that it is active this year. crossing fingers that they do it for other Holidays as well this coming season. I want the turkey lock and unlock.

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
Very excited for the telemetry data and the tow mode updates. Hopefully they add an ability to flag a vehicle configuration (or 3) as well, similar to the idea of having 3 different trailer profiles - e.g. one for my rooftop cargo box, one for when I have SUPs on the roof, etc. This way the data from driving with that stuff on wouldn't get mixed up with the general data for a given drive mode (like All Purpose).

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Glad to see the towing data update. But the UI changes are...lackluster. And really, kinda off-putting from a UX perspective. The touch targets are much smaller and there's no text for the drive mode selection now. When you're rolling down the road the touch targets should be very large and very obvious what/where you're going to touch. I'd hope that the settings within a drive mode still allow hitting the center/current option and getting a menu, but I doubt it since they added arrows...again, a smaller touch target that then requires you to look for the text to verify a change rather than just tapping the thing you want.

Trip meters...so now we get the data somewhere other than settings, but definitely looks like it's only distance, avg speed, and time. One of the biggest things I use trip meters for is avg mi/kWh and distance traveled. Min/max would be nice on battery temp since we know there's more than one sensor in the pack. Elevation and compass heading ought to be shown in the map...maybe they are? Similarly, the off-road display for pitch/roll ought to be on a screen with camera views. When I'm on the trail I almost always have the tire views showing in the camera. Nice update, but still seems to leave a lot to be desired.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

They desperately need to move the Trip meters to the driver gauge cluster, like Tesla has it. Accessing it just hideous since they buried it a few updates ago. Should be one of the optional screens with Tire pressures, nav instructions and efficiency meter. Keep hoping they'll fix this in the next update, but no such luck so far.
I would like the ability to increase the FONT size on the range miles, the "when you arrive" miles and the percentage.

Sponsored

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Hmmm, pretty minor update. I mean it has a lot of small things, UI tunes, etc. Thought we would get some good functionality this Summer like text message integration, +music options, etc. Will be interesting to check out Halloween mode - wondering why we still don't color ambient light configs if turns out color is possible again for all of us.
I would love to get the TEXT messaging UI update. I don't know why they won't add the ability to change the LED colors around the doors and the "Rivian" bat signal?. It would be nice to be able to change the lightbar in the front, but I can see how that might be dangerous unless they won't allow RED or GREEN.

SamDoe1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Ford GT350
Clubs

I agree user adjustable is the answer. I have another vehicle with fat sway bars for that purpose, so for me...I want my Rivian comfortable with occasional off ramp sport. But I totally get wanting it adjustable.
They are adjustable though. The whole point of hydraulic sway bars is that they are adjustable, almost infinitely, within their range. They are also able to rapidly change stiffness mid bump and mid corner to make the ride soft as well as keep the body stable.

IMO, the ones in the Rivian do an awesome job. It's not a sports car and never claimed to be one. For a heavy and powerful truck it handles and rides amazingly well, even more so after the update.

As far as the update goes, I'd love to have the gauge screen be user configurable to show the things you want to see and hide the ones you don't. Would be better than a huge display of gauges.

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

Glad to see the towing data update. But the UI changes are...lackluster. And really, kinda off-putting from a UX perspective. The touch targets are much smaller and there's no text for the drive mode selection now. When you're rolling down the road the touch targets should be very large and very obvious what/where you're going to touch. I'd hope that the settings within a drive mode still allow hitting the center/current option and getting a menu, but I doubt it since they added arrows...again, a smaller touch target that then requires you to look for the text to verify a change rather than just tapping the thing you want.

Trip meters...so now we get the data somewhere other than settings, but definitely looks like it's only distance, avg speed, and time. One of the biggest things I use trip meters for is avg mi/kWh and distance traveled. Min/max would be nice on battery temp since we know there's more than one sensor in the pack. Elevation and compass heading ought to be shown in the map...maybe they are? Similarly, the off-road display for pitch/roll ought to be on a screen with camera views. When I'm on the trail I almost always have the tire views showing in the camera. Nice update, but still seems to leave a lot to be desired.
Great thoughts. And I agree. Definitely steps in the right direction and good for Rivian for working on things, but this does just seem like one step in the right direction versus a finished, polished product.
- There is so much blank, unused space on the drive mode screen. 2/3 of the screen is wasted.
- The Compass does not belong in gauge cluster and should be on driver screen or in the maps, as you said.
- all offroad gauges belong with the offroad cameras, as you said.
- When they design the UX and UI, they seem to really be missing the factor that everything is touchscreen. And people are a little pre-occupied. These two factors should be front and center when designing UI. larger buttons, no back clicks, automatic time out of a screen to revert back to main screen (avoiding an extra click like with A/C), etc.

I have a feeling they made the widgets in the gauge cluster specific for Rebel Rally and thought that if it is the way Rebel drivers want it, it is good. But that's just simply not the case. I don't know much about the Rebel Rally, but isn't the main component of that race the navigation? This would explain the compass, elevation, trip meters all being here, because that is what is needed for that race. But that's not how most people use their vehicles either on road or off road. We are not having to navigate by maps and go X degrees for Y distance.
It just seems like the only use case Rivian explored for this was the Rebel Rally and went ahead pushed the update to everyone to appease the masses.

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

Why does Elevation have a refresh button?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Why does Elevation have a refresh button?
It's a reset since it looks like they are tracking highest and lowest elevations. Strange icon though since I generally would associate it with "loop back to beginning" in audio land instead of "reset". Size of the text on drive mode features seems like it'd be fine to use as "Reset" instead of this icon.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I have a feeling they made the widgets in the gauge cluster specific for Rebel Rally and thought that if it is the way Rebel drivers want it, it is good. But that's just simply not the case. I don't know much about the Rebel Rally, but isn't the main component of that race the navigation? This would explain the compass, elevation, trip meters all being here, because that is what is needed for that race. But that's not how most people use their vehicles either on road or off road. We are not having to navigate by maps and go X degrees for Y distance.
It just seems like the only use case Rivian explored for this was the Rebel Rally and went ahead pushed the update to everyone to appease the masses.
Entirely possible. The Rebelle Rally doesn't allow the use of GPS or anything showing your position on a map. So not putting some of that info on the map (again, no pics so some of it may be there too) and instead on a dedicated page might have made sense from that perspective.

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

It's a reset since it looks like they are tracking highest and lowest elevations. Strange icon though since I generally would associate it with "loop back to beginning" in audio land instead of "reset". Size of the text on drive mode features seems like it'd be fine to use as "Reset" instead of this icon.
So if it is a reset, is it safe to assume that it is not a live tracker of elevation above sea level. And instead it is measuring elevation gain during a trip? Again, this seems like something really only useful to the Rebelle Rally.

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

Entirely possible. The Rebelle Rally doesn't allow the use of GPS or anything showing your position on a map. So not putting some of that info on the map (again, no pics so some of it may be there too) and instead on a dedicated page might have made sense from that perspective.
Oh, that makes total sense and really confirms my suspicion.

For most drivers, these widgets would be more useful on the NAV screen, not a gauge cluster.

huskybrewing

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

There are some spoiled folks out here. The vast majority of vehicles have the same interface and essentially the same software for life. We have had so many great updates since mine was delivered in June 2022. I'm so appreciative of Rivian constantly making my 22,000+ mile truck better.

The tow mode updates should be a huge help. Towing my Taxa is an exercise in mental math and is the first time I've had anything like range anxiety. I'm hoping that nav/route planning with the tow setting incorporates some of ABRP's customization features.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Lipstick on a pig. Where's AA/CP, or at least text messages? 😜

(j/k don't hate me. Even though I do want to get my Teams notifications on the screen)
Sponsored