Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, R1T
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Wonder what happened that he’s wearing a sling?

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
He had surgery on the shoulder. He is wearing an immobilizer worn post-op. Ask me how I know.
I had a hook plate to repair my clavicle. Immobilized my arm for 3 months. Still recovering, a year on. Getting that little bastard out was the single most physically joyous moment I’ve had in my life.

Arm mobility is so underrated …

Sponsored

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Exciting stuff. These efficiencies will have to carry Rivian until the R2 comes out in 2026. My hope is that they stop losing money on each vehicle and continue with great lease deals until interest rates come down. Maybe have a premium version and a standard version of the R1T and R1S.

Rob Stark

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S
My hope is that they stop losing money on each vehicle and continue with great lease deals until interest rates come down.
My hope is people stop using this bs metric.

Rivian is a startup company in a heavily capital intensive industry. Currently, expenses exceed revenue and they sell a certain number of vehicles.

But they don't "lose money on every car they sell". The cost of parts plus blue collar labor to manufacture a vehicle does not exceed the sell price. Rivian is expanding, Rivian has a lot of overhead with high quality engineers and other white collar workers. And that overhead is spread out over a small number of vehicle sales.

But as sales grow they won't need more CEO and CFOs. And when they double number of vehicle sales they won't need double the software engineers.

fbkr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
But they don't "lose money on every car they sell". The cost of parts plus blue collar labor to manufacture a vehicle does not exceed the sell price.
Actually Rivian does lose money on every car they sell (except for the edv) and they admitted as much on the last earnings call.

Revenue minus direct cost of parts / labor is what Rivian calls their "contribution margin" and they said they were still negative on it for the quarter even for post price hike R1s.

Sad but true.

That said, after the rework they will definitely be in the positive on contribution margin and moving towards positive gross margins.

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit

Sponsored

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

Actually Rivian does lose money on every car they sell (except for the edv) and they admitted as much on the last earnings call.

Revenue minus direct cost of parts / labor is what Rivian calls their "contribution margin" and they said they were still negative on it for the quarter even for post price hike R1s.

Sad but true.

That said, after the rework they will definitely be in the positive on contribution margin and moving towards positive gross margins.
Thank you for calling this out. Contribution Margin is the metric that matters most for the moment, and it’s not publicly reported.

Gross margin is going to start mattering soon though. They’ve committed to a positive gross margin by Q4. I’d consider that a “make or break” commitment for the value of the company.

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

Please help me understand how the rework (and efficiency updates) during shutdown will change revenue, parts and labor such that the R1 contribution margin will change from negative to positive.

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
Please help me understand how the rework (and efficiency updates) during shutdown will change revenue, parts and labor such that the R1 contribution margin will change from negative to positive.
They are reorganizing parts of the plant for more efficient manufacture, they have renegotiated quite a few supplier contracts and in some cases using new suppliers and they are making major changes to the number of computer chips and computer architecture which cuts down on parts needed.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
My hope is people stop using this bs metric.

Rivian is a startup company in a heavily capital intensive industry. Currently, expenses exceed revenue and they sell a certain number of vehicles.

But they don't "lose money on every car they sell". The cost of parts plus blue collar labor to manufacture a vehicle does not exceed the sell price. Rivian is expanding, Rivian has a lot of overhead with high quality engineers and other white collar workers. And that overhead is spread out over a small number of vehicle sales.

But as sales grow they won't need more CEO and CFOs. And when they double number of vehicle sales they won't need double the software engineers.
As Ed pointed out, it isn't a BS metric. It is the most important metric.

If they don't have a positive contribution margin on every vehicle produced, survival is impossible. If you think they already a positive contribution margin, please show us where it says that in their financial statements. It doesn't, because they don't.

The product and process efficiency upgrade happening now is make or break for the company. And the stock market knows it. If you think they can do it, buy more stock. Because if they do, the stock price will definitely go up. The market is obviously very skeptical it can be done. The risk of failure is very high.
Sponsored