Sponsored

So your alignment is bad? Maybe this is why.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I wonder if their solution of overtorquing that bolt caused it to shear off.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
So I think someone posted on FB the whole front left wheel came off. And I think it was missing this bolt as well.

Brand new truck 98XX VIN.

I am not in the FB group but this was shared by @kanundrum on discord:

FB_IMG_1660431117016.jpg
FB_IMG_1660431119026.jpg

I wonder if their solution of overtorquing that bolt caused it to shear off.
tighten until you hear a crack, then back off a quarter turn? šŸ« 

2023 delivery keeps seeming better and better. I can wait.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Probably the first time I've legit considered just bailing on my preorder. Incredibly dangerous failure that should never have been allowed to happen.
Dude, donā€™t you know thatā€™s why thereā€™s 3 other wheels - in case one harmlessly falls off while drivingā€¦

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Captain Obvious would like to point out whether it's a sheared tie rod, control arm nuts backing off, loose CV joints and related noises, or a wheel falling off in what looks to be a slow to moderate turn - collectively these are significant safety issues and are exactly what the NHTSB recall programs are focused on.

Last edited:

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

Have you confirmed that your alignment is "bad" on an alignment rack/machine? At the factory, assembling the front suspension pieces and setting the alignment will be two separate processes. The marks may have been made during the first of these processes, and then the bolts/nuts/eccentrics were moved during the alignment process.

As a new engineer at a Honda factory in 1988, I spent my first few weeks observing -- or actually doing -- various processes throughout the plant. I spent one day assembling the steering rack and other parts onto the front suspension subframe. I repeated the process every 69 seconds. I remember threading the right steering ball joint onto the steering rack "x" number of turns, and then I marked it (because my trainer told me to). It wasn't the final adjustment -- that was made later after the car was driven onto the alignment machine -- but it was close.

On another day, I spent about an hour in the "pit" under the alignment machine observing the associate who made the final adjustments and tightened the necessary fasteners. As I recall, he didn't mark anything -- he was hustling to make the adjustments and torque the fasteners in the allotted time.

As a former engineer, I appreciate the comments in this thread about clamping force, TTY and TTA fasteners, etc. But be careful about concluding that the alignment has changed after leaving the factory just because some marks don't line up.

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

exactly what the NTSB recall programs are focused on
NTSB investigates aviation accidents. NHTSA oversees recalls in the auto industry. Sorry, I couldn't resist quibbling. Otherwise, I'm with you Captain!

OP
OP

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
Have you confirmed that your alignment is "bad" on an alignment rack/machine? At the factory, assembling the front suspension pieces and setting the alignment will be two separate processes. The marks may have been made during the first of these processes, and then the bolts/nuts/eccentrics were moved during the alignment process.

As a new engineer at a Honda factory in 1988, I spent my first few weeks observing -- or actually doing -- various processes throughout the plant. I spent one day assembling the steering rack and other parts onto the front suspension subframe. I repeated the process every 69 seconds. I remember threading the right steering ball joint onto the steering rack "x" number of turns, and then I marked it (because my trainer told me to). It wasn't the final adjustment -- that was made later after the car was driven onto the alignment machine -- but it was close.

On another day, I spent about an hour in the "pit" under the alignment machine observing the associate who made the final adjustments and tightened the necessary fasteners. As I recall, he didn't mark anything -- he was hustling to make the adjustments and torque the fasteners in the allotted time.

As a former engineer, I appreciate the comments in this thread about clamping force, TTY and TTA fasteners, etc. But be careful about concluding that the alignment has changed after leaving the factory just because some marks don't line up.
The thought crossed my mind. I donā€™t know until Rivian puts it on a rack. I can confidently say that something on the front end is loose though.

PurpleTrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Mine had alignment issue at delivery. Drove ~1500 miles first till they had time to service mine. Took 2 tries. And after that, alignment was finally straight, but front suspension started clunking and clicking. Going in next week after 2 months of waiting/scheduling.
More related post about suspension clicking/clunking:
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/low-speed-tocking-when-stopping-or-starting.5748/

Many customers noted just like me, was not there before, but started to having this noise afterwards. It would makes sense something is getting loose overtime

Sponsored

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
Wow, suspension components coming apart can be deadly. I foresee a total recall coming soon.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

So either live with the alignment issue or get it fixed and live with clinking and clunking? Didnā€™t read every post carefully but seems like those are the two options at this point?

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Probably the first time I've legit considered just bailing on my preorder. Incredibly dangerous failure that should never have been allowed to happen.
I find it concerning also. I've read about multiple people complaining to service centers about creaking/clunking noises, or alignment (which could be caused by a few things) and the service centers write it off as normal. Normal doesn't necessarily mean correct.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So I think someone posted on FB the whole front left wheel came off. And I think it was missing this bolt as well.

Brand new truck 98XX VIN.

I am not in the FB group but this was shared by @kanundrum on discord:

FB_IMG_1660431117016.jpg
FB_IMG_1660431119026.jpg
It's the new hovercraft mode. Actually three corners here have failed.