Sponsored

Snow Mode?

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
I really think that a "low" or "no" regen is all thats desired. If I lose grip in an ICE vehicle, I typically remove braking/acceleration inputs and try to regain grip through steering. In the Rivian, it will basically always be braking or accelerating; you can try to maintain the sweet spot between the two but I don't think that's as practical.
That's an excellent point.
Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
(too lazy to read whole thread, so sorry if covered already): but wanted to know what exactly is it that we're hoping that this magical "snow mode" will deliver us?

Is it just to further reduce "throttle" response so we don't spin tires? As far as I know, there is very little software magic that can overcome traction issues at the tires or otherwise overcome the laws of physics.

With all my cars over the years, I have never experienced a snow mode that made a material difference to snow/winter driving. Judicious use of throttle, brakes, and steering wheel (combined with winter tires where available) were always most of the answer...

Perhaps I've just never experienced truly exceptional "snow" modes...
*** Edit: Sorry for the redundant response to the above. @Andystroh types faster than I do :)

Single biggest thing I would look for is the ability to completely turn regen off. Yes, it's a very heavy vehicle but, with regen off, I would expect it to behave much more like a normal ICE vehicle. Otherwise, Rivian could tune traction and suspension behavior to also optimize performance in winter weather.

Obviously, tires are also a factor and single best improvement is to change to an AT type tire but the above is aimed at at least maximizing what I (and others) have.

Interesting note: while typing in this thread, Rivian called me about another unrelated service question and I mentioned this when asked if there was anything else. He assured me he would pass the feedback/request up the chain and also assured me I was not alone (see this thread) in my request. I also asked for owner ability to change tire size/configuration within the truck's GUI rather than having to visit a SC each time tires are swapped. We'll see if anything changes...

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

(too lazy to read whole thread, so sorry if covered already): but wanted to know what exactly is it that we're hoping that this magical "snow mode" will deliver us?

Is it just to further reduce "throttle" response so we don't spin tires? As far as I know, there is very little software magic that can overcome traction issues at the tires or otherwise overcome the laws of physics.

With all my cars over the years, I have never experienced a snow mode that made a material difference to snow/winter driving. Judicious use of throttle, brakes, and steering wheel (combined with winter tires where available) were always most of the answer...

Perhaps I've just never experienced truly exceptional "snow" modes...
That's all it boils down to. People expecting miracles out of non-snow specific tires in an extremely heavy vehicle. Braking distances are going to be a LOT longer. Over-application of mechanical brakes is going to have similar undesirable results. So far my stock 22's are "adequate" in the little amount of snow we've gotten, but I absolutely have to be slowing down earlier than if the pavement was dry. I didn't have them lock up like other people complained about, but I was being cautious too.

Generally with proper snow tires, I don't have to modify my driving habits much. My snow tires and wheels are at the tire shop to get mounted, so I'll hopefully get them back soon to get a good comparison in.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
That's all it boils down to. People expecting miracles out of non-snow specific tires in an extremely heavy vehicle. Braking distances are going to be a LOT longer. Over-application of mechanical brakes is going to have similar undesirable results. So far my stock 22's are "adequate" in the little amount of snow we've gotten, but I absolutely have to be slowing down earlier than if the pavement was dry. I didn't have them lock up like other people complained about, but I was being cautious too.

Generally with proper snow tires, I don't have to modify my driving habits much. My snow tires and wheels are at the tire shop to get mounted, so I'll hopefully get them back soon to get a good comparison in.
Do you have a different rim setup with your snow tires? Looking at 22” options and little to nothing available.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Do you have a different rim setup with your snow tires? Looking at 22” options and little to nothing available.
Out of Spec Kyle is running (in one of his videos on the R1S) Nokian Outpost AT 285 45 R22 tires. These look interesting but I think they're new and don't know the availability...

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I bought another set of OEM 22" rims from my service center. They were a lot more money than I'd normally spend on winter wheels, but there aren't any aftermarket wheels that fit properly. Nokian Hakka R5 SUV, same size as OEM. Bought through tires-easy since no-where locally carried them.

Last edited:

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I was able to find these, which I think would be an option - I just wish Blizzak's came in the correct sizing for the R1T, LOVE those on my Explorer and have great value:

Buy Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 SUV 275/50R22 Tires | SimpleTire
Hey DT...as you know, the front range doesn't often get a lot of snow. Two or three storms a month and a couple of days of dicey driving from each. My experience has shown driving on dry roads a lot more often than snow packed roads. What has your "wear" experience been with these tires? My concern is that the good days will "eat 'em" up in a couple of seasons. $450/tire is not something I want to wear out over 6-12 months...

OP
OP
moosehead

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
^This. IME without question Hakkas and Blizzaks are the best snow tires. But they can wear in 2-4 seasons on SUV’s and trucks with pavement miles, and can tram line or squiggle about on pavement.

Complerely ascribe to the rule that a proper pair of winter sneakers is cheaper than an accident.

The 20” Riv Pirelli AT’s should be able to provide such presuming the vehicle doesn’t make winter driving worse than it has to be.

Driving around the past day in cold snow with 20” AT’s, standard regen, reduced stability in All-Purpose, I’m way more confident in a Rivian snow mode that can optimize our rigs for winter.

It would also likely be the most used drive mode after AP.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Hey DT...as you know, the front range doesn't often get a lot of snow. Two or three storms a month and a couple of days of dicey driving from each. My experience has shown driving on dry roads a lot more often than snow packed roads. What has your "wear" experience been with these tires? My concern is that the good days will "eat 'em" up in a couple of seasons. $450/tire is not something I want to wear out over 6-12 months...
I’m on the 3rd season of my Blizzaks on my Explorer with no issues and we have them on Nov thru March. Not sure how they would wear on a Rivian but if I got 3 seasons out of them I’d be happy.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
PXL_20221118_154043812~2.jpg

Guess I should debadge in the winter to get a little range back. Mostly just posting as I enjoyed the look. (Light snow, no headlight issues)
From the look of this, I should have debadged mine when the weather was still warm. Too late to do it now.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
No doubt...snow tires are the best answer. And judicious use of throttle and brakes are also the best approach.

Now that I got that out of the way....

These R1 are going to be purchased by a very large and diverse customer set. In some cases, other drivers in the family than the enthusiast primary drivers, who frequent these forums, might drive the family R1 now and then. And not all 14k+ delivered or 100k+ pre-order holders are going to purchase dedicated snow tires, again, like the enthusiasts on here that swap tires for changing conditions.

So, for those situations, I stand by my belief that a dedicated snow mode, will ultimately reduce accidents. And when 7k# vehicles cross centerlines, it doesn't matter how good your snow tires are when that thing comes at you with no time to respond across a centerline and you are in a lighter vehicle, etc... with snow tires.

A dedicated snow mode, if well executed like I have had in previous vehicles, would reduce throttle sensitivity, increase stability program intervention, increase steering effort, eliminate regen, and reduce rear wheel torque bias.

All those things, well executed, in my opinion, will ultimately save lives. Whether needed by the enthusiast drivers on this forum or not, (and I do consider myself an excellent winter driver...and have had at least 4 different vehicles I put dedicated snows on) but a ride with my wife in it resulted in a "I am never driving this thing in the snow" last night, so I can fully appreciate the need for this improvement. There will be many of these on the road with less experienced drivers and many that won't invest in snow tires.

Last edited:

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
All those things, well executed, in my opinion, will ultimately save lives. Whether needed by the F1 teams and their pilots on this forum.....
You're argument would have been better without all the excessive sarcasm.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
You're argument would have been better without all the excessive sarcasm.
I was getting wore out reading everyone saying get snow tires and drive better. No kidding... we all get it. But a snow mode makes absolute sense for the product in the intended market. My sarcasm was meant to be more funny than serious, but with a bit of serious intended. (Edit...I have changed wording to hopefully remove majority of sarcasm).
Sponsored

Last edited: