Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Do you find that your snow tires aren't enough? I haven't put mine on yet, but hopefully tomorrow. We don't have any snow left and none in the forecast.

Dear Sweet Baby Jesus,

I would wear this Sweet Baby Jesus Sweater for the month of December if we can please get Snow Mode for Thanksgiving?

Too s00n? Cause we’ve been askin nice since sand mode came out.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
OP
OP
moosehead

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Do you find that your snow tires aren't enough? I haven't put mine on yet, but hopefully tomorrow. We don't have any snow left and none in the forecast.
Still just running the Riv Pirelli 20’s and only had a few snow outings in 3-5” cold snow down in Denver. They did reasonably well in the Denver flats below 35mph in AP mode with regen set to “standard” and stability set to “reduced”. Note standard regen still brings the 7k lb Rivian to a complete stop. Did not try sand mode yet in snow but will do so.

While the above is not nearly the demanding scenario that elevation, descents, and higher speed present, IME the takeaway is that both the vehicle can be optimized with proper snow mode and that for those in ski country a dedicated snow tire would further optimize a winter setup.

We did take the Ioniq 5 up to the mountains and ran an 11k’ pass up and down. The 4 modes of regen on the padde shifters, and a separate snow mode that can be engaged on the wheel, were pretty damn close to a manual shift on the extended and variable descents including hairpins. It was wierdly somewhat reminiscent to my better half’s Cayenne with Triptronic paddles. And that was running AS tires. Even when she gave way it was predictable and could be corrected.

Jpdesmond

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch , 20” AT , el cap
Occupation
Chillin
the regen is greatly reduced when I am driving in that 85-100% battery charge, and that feeling and setting of the regen would be perfect for snow conditions where I 'want' to turn it to that when I feel it's necessary, and I'm not worried about my battery life

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

We got about a foot of snow friday/saturday, and one trip out on the 22s and it was clear that these are not going to make it through the winter. Regen (standard) caused sliding as soon as I took my foot off the accelerator at 25 mph. ABS functionality seemed normal, but the transition from Regen induced slide into ABS might be all that it takes to get me into a fender bender someday. I'd also like to know if Regen is disabled when ABS is activated - I'll pose that to Rivian this week.
I posted this in another thread, but Rivian describe the 22s as three season tires. In their description of them the mention Spring, Summer, and Autumn, not winter or snowy/icy conditions.
Rivian R1T R1S Snow Mode? FF045261-DDAD-4391-9E15-3738190F06C7

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
After driving my 22's on light snow last week, It's definitely adequate, but you have to be very cautious with them. Something I don't want to have to do, because I live in a world where snow tires exist.
I don't blame you. Maybe we all just need to learn a new way of driving on ice/ snow but until then I'd play it safe.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You are right, never saw that before. Even mentions they provide traction in light snow, probably very light snow (flurries).
Yeah, that is a carefully worded description. I sure wouldn't want to drive in the CO mountains in winter with those, even if I was just staying on I-70.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
After driving my 22's on light snow last week, It's definitely adequate, but you have to be very cautious with them. Something I don't want to have to do, because I live in a world where snow tires exist.
Seems like any other performance-biased all season tire. Technically yes will work in winter...but not optimal. Hell, Corvettes come with "all season" tires.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
Also, the 22"s have "M&S" ratings on the sidewall. Seems a bit optimistic to me.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I posted this in another thread, but Rivian describe the 22s as three season tires. In their description of them the mention Spring, Summer, and Autumn, not winter or snowy/icy conditions.
FF045261-DDAD-4391-9E15-3738190F06C7.png
Sure - that is how a tech writer at Rivian wrote up that webpage. But, Pirelli call it an "All Season" tire and has that molded into the sidewall of each one. For more than half the country that includes snow...

I was hoping it would be at least adequate in snow because I am not overly thrilled with current winter wheel/tire options (not to mention the problems getting TPMS sensors currently) and was hoping to hold off getting snowies until next year. One drive proved they are not up to the task so I ordered (and received today) a set of 22" Hakka R5s that I will have mounted on the factory wheels as soon as I can get an appointment.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Seems like any other performance-biased all season tire. Technically yes will work in winter...but not optimal. Hell, Corvettes come with "all season" tires.
Not my Z51 - I can't even drive it if temps drop below 40 degrees! :)
Sponsored