Sponsored

Snow Mode?

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
I was getting wore out reading everyone saying get snow tires and drive better. No kidding... we all get it. But a snow mode makes absolute sense for the product in the intended market. My sarcasm was meant to be more funny than serious, but with a bit of serious intended. (Edit...I have changed wording to hopefully remove majority of sarcasm).
I hear ya. I also get worn out reading all the posts believing "snow mode" will be a pancea for winter driving. When I reality it's likely a tire issue (not necessarily JUST A winter tire solution). I'm guessing we will see a snow mode with lighter or no regen. That will help but I'd also hazard a guess it'll be a very marginal. People are ascribing waaay to much pixie dust (sarcasm oops!) to it.
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I hear ya. I also get worn out reading all the posts believing "snow mode" will be a pancea for winter driving. When I reality it's likely a tire issue (not necessarily JUST A winter tire solution). I'm guessing we will see a snow mode with lighter or no regen. That will help but I'd also hazard a guess it'll be a very marginal. People are ascribing waaay to much pixie dust (sarcasm oops!) to it.
I can tell you...I had a Acura RDX A-Spec on 20" all seasons. Drive thru several winters. With snow mode, it was significantly better than my R1T with 20"AT as it stands. Yaw control was very aggressive and even if gave excessive throttle in a slippery turn, it took car of business, using SH-AWD with snow mode. It was pretty impressive...on all seasons.

One drive thru my subdivision yesterday, and I was able to push R1T to point of control loss on a throttle application. And with some yaw and regen, felt very dicey.

I am sure I can handle it and I was testing it, but it was failing my initial tests.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

I think maybe you're missing the difference between wanting to drive through snow versus having to drive through snow. Have you ever been to Austin (edit: TX, not MN) during an ice storm? Nobody has snow tires, but they still try to drive.

Even in Seattle there are many drivers who won't go to the mountains in winter and don't need snow tires. They're often as bad at driving in the snow as Austinites. Snow mode won't be a panacea but it will help reluctant adventurers make it to the grocery store.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

All the people saying the Rivians accelerate really well on snow and ice but don't stop well have apparently never heard the strange "it's called four wheel drive not four wheel stop" saying. There is definitely some room for improvement in their winter control system, but it really should be about stopping as fast as possible if you aren't modulating the throttle yourself. Rivian should be introducing mechanical brakes to modulate with ABS if they can't change the regen torque fast enough to stop lockup at speeds over a few mph.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
One drive thru my subdivision yesterday, and I was able to push R1T to point of control loss on a throttle application. And with some yaw and regen, felt very dicey.

I am sure I can handle it and I was testing it, but it was failing my initial tests.
^^^ This! Tom, you said it way better than I didā€¦this is very similar to my experience yesterday morning. Pushing any limit resulted in loss of controlā€¦this ā€œlack of forgivenessā€ is what I meant by not confidence inspiring.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
^^^ This! Tom, you said it way better than I didā€¦this is very similar to my experience yesterday morning. Pushing any limit resulted in loss of controlā€¦this ā€œlack of forgivenessā€ is what I meant by not confidence inspiring.
Thanks. Another thing people should keep in mind, that although an individual might be very good at vehicle control, an individual has only one throttle and one brake control. The computer has four of each.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
All the people saying the Rivians accelerate really well on snow and ice but don't stop well have apparently never heard the strange "it's called four wheel drive not four wheel stop" saying. There is definitely some room for improvement in their winter control system, but it really should be about stopping as fast as possible if you aren't modulating the throttle yourself. Rivian should be introducing mechanical brakes to modulate with ABS if they can't change the regen torque fast enough to stop lockup at speeds over a few mph.
Brianā€¦during several full brake applications yesterday, I did notice ā€œnormalā€ mechanical brake modulation with ABS. Obviously, I was testing brake effectiveness at low speed (20-30 mph - wide open space) and was full on brakesā€¦pedal felt just as I would expect it with slight vibration and ā€œslide-stop, slide-stopā€ action. Conversely, the regen slide was most apparent without brake application at low speeds with minor sliding when nearing complete stop. The ā€œfeelingsā€ behind the wheel were very different. Hope that makes sense?

OffRoad987

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T , Porsche Cayman
Performed ice stopping in Lake Tahoe yesterday. Regen on high from 20 MPH. No skidding and stopped well. Better than using brakes.

50 MPH on ice may be a different story.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I bought another set of OEM 22" rims from my service center. They were a lot more money than I'd normally spend on winter wheels, but there aren't any aftermarket wheels that fit properly. Nokian Hakka R5 SUV, same size as OEM. Bought through tires-easy since no-where locally carried them.
I see they make the R5 in both SUV and EV sub models. I have not been able to find our size in the EV, only the SUV. Did you see the EV in the OEM size?

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I see they make the R5 in both SUV and EV sub models. I have not been able to find our size in the EV, only the SUV. Did you see the EV in the OEM size?
I don't think the EV tires actually exist yet.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I don't think the EV tires actually exist yet.
That kind of what I was guessing. None of the local Nokian dealers (5) could find any, so I have a set of the R5 SUVs in my cart at SimpleTire - just waiting to see which the local tire shops are still acceptable drop ship points.

We got about a foot of snow friday/saturday, and one trip out on the 22s and it was clear that these are not going to make it through the winter. Regen (standard) caused sliding as soon as I took my foot off the accelerator at 25 mph. ABS functionality seemed normal, but the transition from Regen induced slide into ABS might be all that it takes to get me into a fender bender someday. I'd also like to know if Regen is disabled when ABS is activated - I'll pose that to Rivian this week.

OP
OP
moosehead

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Dear Sweet Baby Jesus,

I would wear this Sweet Baby Jesus Sweater for the month of December if we can please get Snow Mode for Thanksgiving?

Too s00n? Cause weā€™ve been askin nice since sand mode came out.

Rivian R1T R1S Snow Mode? A63D3D2A-6A71-499A-B259-47E5E64E904F

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Dear Sweet Baby Jesus,

I would wear this Sweet Baby Jesus Sweater for the month of December if we can please get Snow Mode for Thanksgiving?

Too s00n? Cause weā€™ve been askin nice since sand mode came out.

A63D3D2A-6A71-499A-B259-47E5E64E904F.jpeg
I NEED that sweater.
Sponsored