Sponsored

bjcleaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco FE, Tesla Model Y, R1T
Never mind, it looks like the LT3 is available in the stock size per that link. Would love to know efficiency impact as those are heavier tires.
I just ordered these and should have them after Thanksgiving. I think they are 54 lbs whereas the Pirellis are 48 lbs. A friend who recently got the Nokians on his R1T thinks that they need to be driven for a few hundred miles and then rebalanced since they are thick and heavy.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
@Pixelshot so you mentioned swapping out wheels/tires. Do you do this yourself, if so how do you update the onboard cpu to let it know you went from 22s to 20s? Is that even required or a nice to have type update?
I haven't swapped them. I decided to keep the 20s on the truck since I have a set of aftermarket 22s on the way. but I'll have to look into changing the computer.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Hi all, I did a couple of videos yesterday here in Denver on some pretty slippery roads. I was surprised (as were others) that it didn't perform as well as I expected. At one point, the SUV slid down into the gutter (no damage) just because I was stopped on a sloped road. Not great. This was on the 22 sport tires. Later than evening (when my wife brought the truck home) I went out again in the truck (on 20s) to compare. Much better, but still a bit slippery. HILLS might be a problem for these vehicles. Especially downhill. I also switched over to Conserve for driving around town which does help with the back end slide out problem. My takeways:

1 - Snow Mode is needed (but Conserve helps to keep the back from spinning out)
2 - 20s are better in the snow
3 - Weight makes the hills and slopes sketchy - BE CAREFUL

R1S (on 22s)

Sorry - I got distracted that a non-red car got named Rosey.

Subnote - no matter how good the 4 wheel drive (or 6 or 12 or 18 or whatever) is winter weather is not about the GO, it's about the STOP. If you can't stop, going is just not a goo idea. The slight fishtail seen on the R1S stopping should be something to be aware of for sure as if you end up sideways and sliding, you have limited if any options to stopping... other than hitting something. You know that whole unstoppable force, immovable object thing.

Traction is where it's at. Ice is low friction, snow or water on ice can reduce that even more. This is where tires with traction (read more than rubber grippy stuff) comes in. Those awesome little metal studs, those amazing chains, stuff like that all production friction and make stopping a thing.

Otherwise, buy your car some ice skates and hope that doing a "triple Salchow doesn't turn into a toe loop triple flip" or something like that.

Sponsored

bcp

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Executive Director, Non-Profit association
Hi all, I did a couple of videos yesterday here in Denver on some pretty slippery roads. I was surprised (as were others) that it didn't perform as well as I expected. At one point, the SUV slid down into the gutter (no damage) just because I was stopped on a sloped road. Not great. This was on the 22 sport tires. Later than evening (when my wife brought the truck home) I went out again in the truck (on 20s) to compare. Much better, but still a bit slippery. HILLS might be a problem for these vehicles. Especially downhill. I also switched over to Conserve for driving around town which does help with the back end slide out problem. My takeways:

1 - Snow Mode is needed (but Conserve helps to keep the back from spinning out)
2 - 20s are better in the snow
3 - Weight makes the hills and slopes sketchy - BE CAREFUL

R1S (on 22s)

R1T (on 20s)

Thanks for sharing your experience with the two types of wheels/tires on snow. I will be headed to interior BC on a ski trip after Thanksgiving so will have my first experience in snow conditions with my new R1T. Have the 20" AT tires/wheels, but would have preferred to purchase a set of dedicated snow tires. Agree that the two things that will help: 1) snow mode on the Rivan, and 2) purchase a second set of dedicated snow tires/rims.

PLAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes
Occupation
Physical Therapist/Ski Guide/Avy Educator
Awaiting R1T w/20” wheels here in Utah snow country, but am seriously concerned for those of us navigating the snow covered, paved/continually plowed, downhills that get reloaded with snow regularly during storm cycles— i.e., the exact time I will be on these roads. Without regen or the equivalent of “low gear” in this heavy truck on prolonged 10-15% descents it may simply be the wrong vehicle. When you all call out hopefully for “snow mode” are you really asking for this controlled-descending capability? During my pre-snow autumn test drive the regen stopped regularly on the 6 mile 10-15% descent to relieve the battery. I was on the brakes way too much for me to safely envision a snowy descent. I guess I am really looking for regen low gear capabilities for the entire descent. Is this even possible? I am holding out, but am starting to feel naive about getting this vehicle for access to ski areas where I work. Thanks

M00v0vr

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T MY
Occupation
entrepreneur/ski race coach
It’s the REGEN!
I did my version of the "Snow Tire" vs "Snow Mode" test last weekend.
Location HWY 35 MT Hood. Conditions hardpack "Cascade Concrete" with a little black ice thrown in for fun.
Trucks, 2022 R1T w 20" AT's & 2017 FFT Range Rover w/19" scorpion dedicated snows, BTW per Tire Rack this is the same compound as our 20" AT's. A little side note I'm not new to this winter driving thing, 20 + yrs ski race coach with winter driving school creds, we have always had a set of summer and winter wheels /tires for all vehicles.
1st run, doughnuts and drifting and slamming on the brakes in the Meadows parking lot. Std Mode RR, All Purpose R1T. I always do this with new snows to test stopping distance and predictably of the slide. Both trucks handle as expected. The maintenance staff was having fun watching me while they moved a few snow cats, wish I had “Tank Mode” that would have freaked them out.
Next step I did multiple runs from my house @ 4k ft to MT Hood Meadows @ 5300 ft.
2nd run, Std Mode RR, All Purpose R1T. Uphill no problem for either truck, RR a little wheel spin at launch but very manageable, downhill was another story, the R1t was F-ing scary, if you lift your foot off the pedal too quickly the backend slides out, ie Regen kicks in and the truck does what 7K of dead weight does. Rover when you lift your foot off it coasts and resulted in much more predictable driving. BTW this is standard fair in winter driving school, (on a frozen lake) don’t touch the brakes let the truck slide, turn into the slide and recover with a little throttle, FWIW this was very difficult to do in the R1T it applied to much torque and made matters worse.
3rd run, Snow/ice mode on RR which reduces low end torque. Sand Mode on R1T, rock solid on the RR, I had to work hard to get it to slide, R1T was much better however still a little scary when lifting off the pedal, wish I had the option to turn regen totally off. YMMV.

PLAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes
Occupation
Physical Therapist/Ski Guide/Avy Educator
It’s the REGEN!
Location HWY 35 MT Hood. Conditions hardpack "Cascade Concrete" with a little black ice thrown in for fun.
Trucks, 2022 R1T w 20" AT's & 2017 FFT Range Rover w/19" scorpion dedicated snows, BTW per Tire Rack this is the same compound as our 20" AT's. A little side note I'm not new to this winter driving thing, 20 + yrs ski race coach with winter driving school creds, we have always had a set of summer and winter wheels /tires for all vehicles.
1st run, doughnuts and drifting and slamming on the brakes in the Meadows parking lot. Std Mode RR, All Purpose R1T. I always do this with new snows to test stopping distance and predictably of the slide. Both trucks handle as expected. The maintenance staff was having fun watching me while they moved a few snow cats, wish I had “Tank Mode” that would have freaked them out.
Next step I did multiple runs from my house @ 4k ft to MT Hood Meadows @ 5300 ft.
2nd run, Std Mode RR, All Purpose R1T. Uphill no problem for either truck, RR a little wheel spin at launch but very manageable, downhill was another story, the R1t was F-ing scary, if you lift your foot off the pedal too quickly the backend slides out, ie Regen kicks in and the truck does what 7K of dead weight does. Rover when you lift your foot off it coasts and resulted in much more predictable driving. BTW this is standard fair in winter driving school, (on a frozen lake) don’t touch the brakes let the truck slide, turn into the slide and recover with a little throttle, FWIW this was very difficult to do in the R1T it applied to much torque and made matters worse.
3rd run, Snow/ice mode on RR which reduces low end torque. Sand Mode on R1T, rock solid on the RR, I had to work hard to get it to slide, R1T was much better however still a little scary when lifting off the pedal, wish I had the option to turn regen totally off. YMMV.
Thanks….we are in the same situation, however, I still do not want to manage the brakes with zero regen as it is a very long and steep downhill from PowderMtn to the valley floor. I want a e-truck that has low low low gear via regen. It sounds like I am really naive as to this possibility. Have a great season!

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Thank you for your testing @M00v0vr... it is very helpful 👍

You would think that with "Alaska testing" and where Rivian factory is located they would have a dedicated Snow mode. Hopefully s00n!!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The guide advised sand mode when I asked the question.
They keep suggesting that to people, but their own manual says to use all purpose in snow/ rain 😒

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

It’s the REGEN!
On another thread, there's lots of comments about re-mapping the accelerator so that regen isn't so aggressive INITIALLY. After my test drive I thought the regen was too aggressive and should allow drivers to more easily feather their regen so that it starts out very light (almost coasting) and progressively becomes max regen when one completely lifts foot off the accelerator. Would it be easy to re-map regen so that there is a wider band of regen: coast->slight->low->moderate->high->max?

Even though you all have lots of "practice" driving your vehicles, regen seems a little too aggressive initially. Hopefully Rivian can re-map the regen and call it snow-mode or something. Lighter regen would make your drive down snowy mountain roads less scary, less tiring and SAFER.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

it is going to take a bad accident for Rivian to acknowledge that some type of modification is probably needed if not a dedicated snow mode? hopefully they are working on it even if they are not saying they are. this is new territory with the quad motors, the weight, regen braking all combined. not everyone is a defensive driver and super competent in snow, ice, slush and no one is experienced at driving the R1T/R1S in these conditions because its brand new.

M00v0vr

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T MY
Occupation
entrepreneur/ski race coach
On another thread, there's lots of comments about re-mapping the accelerator so that regen isn't so aggressive INITIALLY. After my test drive I thought the regen was too aggressive and should allow drivers to more easily feather their regen so that it starts out very light (almost coasting) and progressively becomes max regen when one completely lifts foot off the accelerator. Would it be easy to re-map regen so that there is a wider band of regen: coast->slight->low->moderate->high->max?

Even though you all have lots of "practice" driving your vehicles, regen seems a little too aggressive initially. Hopefully Rivian can re-map the regen and call it snow-mode or something. Lighter regen would make your drive down snowy mountain roads less scary, less tiring and SAFER.
I totally agree that it's too aggressive at the top, might help if it remapped it to be less aggressive when you release the pedal. Or maybe I have to relearn how to drive in hardpack with this truck. We have a Tesla MY w/ mich ice x snows on and it's not anything like this scary, BTW you can't change Regen at all on the newest version. I find it strange that rivian developed sand mode due to feedback from Rebel Rally https://www.thedrive.com/news/rivian-adds-soft-sand-mode-with-low-regen-and-high-power-settings but can't find the time to develop a mode that's primary for winter driving. Just let me turn Regen off.
Sponsored

Last edited: