SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

First of all, thanks for your support and compliments. When I consider if the "juice is worth the squeeze" in all this YouTube world, it's nice to see a benefit to keep me going.

As for the 22s - they are not a snow tire. Full Stop. probably better than my skinny-tired road bike, but a far cry from a good snow tire from what I can tell. I have not driven the R1T with 22s yet, although I will tomorrow (switching the set for a road trip). It will be interesting to see how it feels. The R1T does drive more stable, which has everything to do with the wheel base, but I don't think this really changes whether or not it will slide in the snow. I'll be watching and let you all know!
All I can say is that your videos have provided immense value to me and the community and I, and I'm sure many others, are very grateful.

Thank you for the added insight. We don't get big snow storms (I say that and now have jinxed myself) in DC typically, so my thought process was the 22's as an all-season would provide the best handling and performance. The question becomes will I need to purchase a set of 20s if we see any snow around our neck of the woods.

Safe travels on your road trip and looking forward to hearing/seeing updates.
Sponsored

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, conserve changed the dynamics a lot. Much improved for around-town where you don't need the extra torque and don't want the back end to slip out.
This is very disappointing to hear that you have to resort to FWD, without a dedicated snow mode. You have AWD and cannot take good advantage of it snow driving, what a pity.

State11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Defender D90
FWIW, I was somehow able to find some Nokian LT 275/65/R20 Hakkapelitta tires that I should have installed Monday. The AT tires were great at accelerating in snow, ice, slush, but not good enough for my comfort at turning and stopping. If we ever get snow again, I can report on them. I had Blizzaks before that were amazing on a Discovery, so we'll see if the Nokian hype is deserved.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I had a similar experience with the truck sliding on icy snow last weekend with the 20" ATs. I now have Nokian LT3s on the truck. So far they seem to drive as well as the regular tires in normal driving, and shouldhe much better in the cold/rain/ice.

Last edited:

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
FWIW, I was somehow able to find some Nokian LT 275/65/R20 Hakkapelitta tires that I should have installed Monday. The AT tires were great at accelerating in snow, ice, slush, but not good enough for my comfort at turning and stopping. If we ever get snow again, I can report on them. I had Blizzaks before that were amazing on a Discovery, so we'll see if the Nokian hype is deserved.
Are you using an entirely different wheel set or having them swap the tires?

I always used to just have a different set of wheels because I could fling them on my car in an hour or less, but the wheel selection for these is iffy and the process is decidedly more annoying so I'm hoping I can just ride the stock 20s.

ryanpei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Ford F150 Hybrid
Are you using an entirely different wheel set or having them swap the tires?

I always used to just have a different set of wheels because I could fling them on my car in an hour or less, but the wheel selection for these is iffy and the process is decidedly more annoying so I'm hoping I can just ride the stock 20s.
Purchased a set of 20" rims from Rivian, and I went with Hakkapeliitta R5 SUV in the 275/60 R20 size. By calculations (online, not my own) these should be similar to the 22" in diameter (32.9 vs 33"). Will post review once I have some miles on them.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

the 22s I have (the OEM Rivian ones) are sport. Not all season.
The 22” whew is a “sports” design. The tire is an all season just like the 21 so while not a snow tire it is also not a low profile sports tire.

05soxfan

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Self

Sponsored

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
@Pixelshot so you mentioned swapping out wheels/tires. Do you do this yourself, if so how do you update the onboard cpu to let it know you went from 22s to 20s? Is that even required or a nice to have type update?

SMiller22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
Clubs

Curious for those in snowy places (I'm not currently) - I keep hearing that the brake regeneration is too strong for very slippery / downhill conditions - and it doesn't engage the ABS? I wonder if you commit the biggest driving sin and try to 'two foot drive' in those situations? Press the brake w/ your left foot, then ease off the gas? Maybe this would engage the caliper brakes, dis-engage the Regen and allow the abs to work? Just a thought before the actual 'snow mode' comes out? No clue if it'll work but might be worth a shot....

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
Curious for those in snowy places (I'm not currently) - I keep hearing that the brake regeneration is too strong for very slippery / downhill conditions - and it doesn't engage the ABS? I wonder if you commit the biggest driving sin and try to 'two foot drive' in those situations? Press the brake w/ your left foot, then ease off the gas? Maybe this would engage the caliper brakes, dis-engage the Regen and allow the abs to work? Just a thought before the actual 'snow mode' comes out? No clue if it'll work but might be worth a shot....
ABS does work with regen. I assume the people who are sliding sideways are sliding just enough to break traction, but not enough for ABS to notice.
Sponsored