Sponsored

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
^^They should be great in the snow, but there's absolutely no way that tire is 35 lbs as stated by Amazon. 😲
I can't do anything but speculate about the weight of the LT3, but FEDEX shows the shipping weight of each of the Hakka R5s currently in transit to me at 56 pounds. I doubt that the LT3 would be less.
Sponsored

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Disagreed. These Michelins compare with dedicated snow tires. This isn't just my opinion.....there are several comparison tests that put them squarely in the snow tire performance range. I've even seen evidence that they outperform some snow tires. As we all know, not every snow tire performs the same.

The big advantage to this all season tire is just that---its an all season tire. So it vastly outperforms snow tires during the non-winter months.

Do your own research and maybe you'll learn a thing or two instead of being stuck in the past with the way things used to be. Technology is a wonderful thing and Michelin has created a tire that can truly do it all. I've lived almost my entire life in upstate NY, so that's nearly 40 years of snow driving experience. And I've never experienced a non-snow tire that works as well in the snow as this Michelin tire.
Do you think AS tires are the only tires making improvements in the last 20 years? Read your own statement I highlighted above and you'll see how false your logic is. You simply cannot compare a non-snow tire with a snow tire. And let me be clear - we're not comparing the best of AS with the worst of winter tires, are we? I have always run two sets of wheels+tires for summer/winter so I don't need a non-snow tire for the winter. You go ahead and run your Michelin CrossClimate 2, if you can even find them for a 7000+ plus EV. I'll do just fine with a set of 20" winter and 22" in the spring, sized appropriately for my RIVIAN.

Last edited:

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I can't do anything but speculate about the weight of the LT3, but FEDEX shows the shipping weight of each of the Hakka R5s currently in transit to me at 56 pounds. I doubt that the LT3 would be less.
The LT3s are listed at 54 lbs each, so your R5s are about the same weight.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Do you think AS tires are the only tires making improvements in the last 20 years? Read your own statement I highlighted above and you'll see how false your logic is. You simply cannot compare a non-snow tire with a snow tire. And let me be clear - we're not comparing the best of AS with the worst of winter tires, are we? I have always run two sets of tires for summer/winter so I don't need a non-snow tire for the winter. You go ahead and run your Michelin CrossClimate 2, if you can even find them for a 7000+ plus EV. I'll do just fine with a set of winter tires sized appropriately for my RIVIAN.
I think you're missing the point here, so I'll repeat it once again: Michelin has created a tire that's not a dedicated snow tire that will perform like a dedicated snow tire. But the real benefit to the tire is that it's vastly superior to dedicated snow tires for the rest of the year. That said, there's no longer any real reason to buy two sets of tires anymore when you can buy one tire that does it all.

If it makes you feel better to have a separate set of winter tires, then by all means go ahead and do what you need to do. My whole point here was to inform those who may not know that a tire does exist that works incredibly well in snow/rain/dry summer or winter. It's just too bad that they don't make it in any Rivian tire sizes.

Personally, I'll never bother with a second set of tires again when I can get winter tire performance with these CrossClimate2 tires.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

No surprise it was terrible on the 22" Sport tires. If anyone had even the slightest hope that "sport" tires would be decent in snow... they need to wake up and smell the powder. Sport tires = summer tires.

Even the 20" AT's are just barely passable as "winter tires" as far as snow competence is concerned. Modern actual winter tires are awesome in snow, make no mistake.

EDIT: a member below posted the 22" tires are not officially listed as "sport" tires as the OP labeled them which I then took from the original post.
Rivian describes the 22 sport tires as three season tires. Notice they don’t mention winter in their own description.
Rivian R1T R1S Snow Mode Needed! - My first snow drives in R1S and R1T 14B54C11-E81C-40B6-97DB-EFA07372A2B0

Sponsored

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I do believe it’s possible an all season tire designed specifically for snow/ wet could do as well or better than the AT and even some snow tires. I still wouldn’t trust that all season off road.

I’ve had well regarded 3 peak AT tires (Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac) that worked great off road but were terrible in the snow. The treads kept getting packed with snow and it felt like I was rolling on 4 round pieces of ice.

We all have to choose based on where and how we drive.
That's true, it's not designated as an off-road tire. I was mainly talking about all weather on-road performance. My Grand Cherokee Trailhawk came from the factory with Kevlar All-Terrain Goodyear tires. They were horrible in the snow, but I'm quite sure the Kevlar made them better at resisting punctures while rock crawling.

When they make a tire that works well off-road, in snow, in wet, in dry summer or winter, I'll be first in line to get it. In the meantime, the CrossClimate2 does all that other than the off-road part. I too wouldn't want to test the CrossClimate2 off-road because that's not what it was designed to do.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I think you're missing the point here, so I'll repeat it once again: Michelin has created a tire that's not a dedicated snow tire that will perform like a dedicated snow tire. But the real benefit to the tire is that it's vastly superior to dedicated snow tires for the rest of the year. That said, there's no longer any real reason to buy two sets of tires anymore when you can buy one tire that does it all.

If it makes you feel better to have a separate set of winter tires, then by all means go ahead and do what you need to do. My whole point here was to inform those who may not know that a tire does exist that works incredibly well in snow/rain/dry summer or winter. It's just too bad that they don't make it in any Rivian tire sizes.

Personally, I'll never bother with a second set of tires again when I can get winter tire performance with these CrossClimate2 tires.
You are entitled to your opinion. Do what you want. But please go back and read this whole thread and see who's missing the point. We're not talking about a set of tires that can do it all. (There's none! Period.) We're talking about a 7200 lbs EV driving in downhill condition with high enough regen braking without an ability to dial it down. We're finished with discussion here.

Last edited:

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
You are entitled to your opinion. Do what you want. But please go back and read this whole thread and see who's missing the point. We're not talking about a set of tires that can do it all. (There's none! Period.) We're talking about a 7200 lbs EV driving in downhill condition with high enough regen braking without an abitity to dial it down. We're finished with discussion here.
That's certainly part of the discussion (regen braking effects in snow), but the OP mention tires several times and even made direct comparisons between the tire performance on his R1S and R1T. Tires are the most important factor for any vehicle, including EVs with regen braking.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
That's certainly part of the discussion (regen braking effects in snow), but the OP mention tires several times and even made direct comparisons between the tire performance on his R1S and R1T. Tires are the most important factor for any vehicle, including EVs with regen braking.
You know what I'm talking about. You don't even own a RIVIAN, do you? If you do, you'd have done your research and know that Michelin doesn't make the CrossClimate 2 sized for the RIVIAN, and we wouldn't be arguing back and forth here. Please allow us owners to discuss what's best for our SUVs and trucks where we have the actual driving experience.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
You know what I'm talking about. You don't even own a RIVIAN, do you? If you do, you'd have done your research and know that the Michelin doesn't make the CrossClimate 2 sized for the RIVIAN, and we wouldn't be arguing back and forth here. Please allow us owners to discuss what's best for our SUVs and trucks where we have the actual driving experience.
Relax, buddy. The vast majority of forum members don't own a Rivian. And it's not a requirement to post here.

I was posting about tires that I do have plenty of experience with. So if I wanted to turn this around on you, I'd ask why you are arguing with me about tires that you've never used and have no experience with....but I won't do that because I'm not that kind of person.

Sponsored

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Relax, buddy. The vast majority of forum members don't own a Rivian. And it's not a requirement to post here.

I was posting about tires that I do have plenty of experience with. So if I wanted to turn this around on you, I'd ask why you are arguing with me about tires that you've never used and have no experience with....but I won't do that because I'm not that kind of person.
Thank you kindly!

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Rivian describes the 22 sport tires as three season tires. Notice they don’t mention winter in their own description.
14B54C11-E81C-40B6-97DB-EFA07372A2B0.png
That's very useful information. Thanks for posting it. Unfortunately, it seems that alternative tires in a 22" size are very limited. But I'm sure more options will become available as an increasing number of vehicles have a 22" wheel option from the factory. It wasn't too long ago that 20" wheels were among the largest factory option. Now we're seeing 21" and 22" become more common, so I think tire companies will start offering more options in those sizes as well.

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
In the interest of having a nicely tweaked snow and snow/ice mode in the future, I'll chime in.

The great thing about having a capable 4-wheel drive truck in this snow, is just that, the capability and traction. With a good set of tires, it's remarkable the traction you have.

The bad side of a vehicle like that is the mass. Once you get going it can be white knuckle driving to get all that weight stopped in slippery conditions.

I'd like to have what I do in the Kona EV. The regen is controlled by paddles (AKA shift-paddles) on the steering column,

So if they could link regen levels in snow/ice mode to be controlled by the steering column thumb controls, that would be helpful

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
So sorry but just to confirm, these tires FIT the R1T but don't possess the load capabilities necessary to be used on the vehicle? Sorry, but I don't know much about tires.

Rivian R1T R1S Snow Mode Needed! - My first snow drives in R1S and R1T 1669161180295

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So sorry but just to confirm, these tires FIT the R1T but don't possess the load capabilities necessary to be used on the vehicle? Sorry, but I don't know much about tires.

1669161180295.png
They are "enough" but if you ever think you might overload the vehicle even just a little bit, those tires will be overloaded too. I wouldn't trust them.
Sponsored