Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I may look into the intermediate battery just feels silly to add more batteries to this truck.
I said the hell with it and bought the 250 Wh battery pack that Iceco sells. They claim it'll last upwards of 8-10 hours depending on temperature the fridge is set to. Then you can power the fridge off the battery and plug the battery into the truck so the battery charges whenever the 12V outlets are powered on. Seemed to work well on a trip I recently took.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I said the hell with it and bought the 250 Wh battery pack that Iceco sells. They claim it'll last upwards of 8-10 hours depending on temperature the fridge is set to. Then you can power the fridge off the battery and plug the battery into the truck so the battery charges whenever the 12V outlets are powered on. Seemed to work well on a trip I recently took.
I had recently bought that one with the same intent but on Saturday I had it in the frunk while I was on a hike, ~3.5 hours, and it had drained down to around 15% SOC. Still a bit confused by that because this fridge shouldn’t pull that much energy. Also I don’t like that it doesn’t have info such as power draw on the display.

For those reasons I’m sending it back to Amazon.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Im also thinking I need to get this just so I can strap it down with my driving its been allover the frunk.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Im also thinking I need to get this just so I can strap it down with my driving its been allover the frunk.
Yeah I just got one of those too. @kylealden had that as well, figured the extra insulation could help.

btw I just saw that this ecoflow is on sale. 360wh for $250 is a great price.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Wow that's cheap I was looking at this but that beats it for sure. I wish there was one with no inverter and ac power would be cheaper and take up less space.
https://www.harborfreight.com/gener...lorer-290wh-portable-power-station-58211.html
I've heard good things about the Jackery power stations but I haven't used one. Ive had good luck with Goal Zero in the past as well.

I found this one from Renogy that is similar to the ICECO unit at $160 but similar battery size as well.

I really want one that can power the fridge overnight, I am thinking around 500wh at least.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I've heard good things about the Jackery power stations but I haven't used one. Ive had good luck with Goal Zero in the past as well.

I found this one from Renogy that is similar to the ICECO unit at $160 but similar battery size as well.

I really want one that can power the fridge overnight, I am thinking around 500wh at least.
I think you are right it needs to run at least one night. How bad would it be to run straight off the 12v batteries is still on my mind. And am I brave enough to do it?

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I had recently bought that one with the same intent but on Saturday I had it in the frunk while I was on a hike, ~3.5 hours, and it had drained down to around 15% SOC. Still a bit confused by that because this fridge shouldn’t pull that much energy. Also I don’t like that it doesn’t have info such as power draw on the display.

For those reasons I’m sending it back to Amazon.
That's wild. I have a plug adapter that records power use. Max draw is right at 50W, so hypothetically it should've gone at least 4 hours even if it was running constantly.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

That's wild. I have a plug adapter that records power use. Max draw is right at 50W, so hypothetically it should've gone at least 4 hours even if it was running constantly.
Yeah that seems about right at 50W max. I guess that the frunk without a vent just got hot enough that it just kept running.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Yeah I just got one of those too. @kylealden had that as well, figured the extra insulation could help.

btw I just saw that this ecoflow is on sale. 360wh for $250 is a great price.
Yeah I have the River Mini which is like half that capacity, unfortunately I paid about that much for it. This is a great deal - as long as it's not too hot, it should run overnight and will recharge off the 12v over a few hours of driving. Now that camp mode is out, you can set the vehicle to stay powered for an hour or two to top off the battery, which is awesome - and then you don't need to energize the whole electrical system to keep the fridge cool, which was my biggest issue.

I will note that on a hot day in direct sun, the combo of the battery, fridge, and truck system will really roast the frunk and can overheat the intermediate battery, in which case it turns off. I haven't had that issue with the fridge plugged directly into 12v. So if keeping stuff cold is the absolute top priority, just use 12v.

Sponsored

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Honestly I have the same fridge in my truck and i think you are overthinking this. Just run if off 110. Is it less efficient, sure, but I kept mine running for a 3 day camping trip and barely noticed any power drop different from normal vampire drain.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Honestly I have the same fridge in my truck and i think you are overthinking this. Just run if off 110. Is it less efficient, sure, but I kept mine running for a 3 day camping trip and barely noticed any power drop different from normal vampire drain.
That hasn't been my experience. I had seen up to 12% of drain over a day with the 110V on sitting in my garage, this is much higher than my typical idle drain of ~1-2%/day on the latest software.

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
That hasn't been my experience. I had seen up to 12% of drain over a day with the 110V on sitting in my garage, this is much higher than my typical idle drain of ~1-2%/day on the latest software.
That's crazy... i think i lost 12% over the entire 3 days i was camping.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I ran mine last night just by keeping the outlets on and it did well. You can set them to stay on for x amount of time in camp mode. I read the manual and it says if you want 12v to stay on just turn on outlets.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

That's crazy... i think i lost 12% over the entire 3 days i was camping.
Disclaimer this was the last software, but when I got back from Canada I had forgot to turn the 110 off and didn't notice until the next day when I noticed how much SOC I had lost. There must have been something else going on if I am the only one seeing that much drain from 110.

I guess I should do some garage testing if I ever get my truck back before I buy another battery.
Sponsored