Sponsored

R1TCentralMa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Computer Sci Stuff
They said in the past they were investigating having a beta testing program with non-employees being able to join it, but either it hasn't happened yet or they aren't being public about it.
Thanks!

I sent my guide an email to find out if this can be done.
Sponsored

Southern R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (LE/GW/OC/20"AT), Lexus GX 460 Luxury
Occupation
Builder
Just chiming in with my update experience: Probably took almost an hour of "preparing" before my update started, and then took another ~65 minutes after it actually started to complete so. If you have somewhere to be within 2 hours, don't start this until you have that time.

I was freaking out thinking something was wrong. I even tried waking my vehicle (opening the drivers door) and unplugging it from the charger to see if anything would get it past the 'preparing' screen (I get up about 3 hours before I *have to* leave for work, so I assumed this would be fine, and my previous updates typically took almost exactly the time stated, so...).

Just a cautionary tale: don't freak out, it seems that it's 'normal' for this update to take awhile to gain momentum.
Similar on my R1S (timed my install at 2:21), but fortunately had read the comments already so knew to expect a longer wait on this one.

The longer install time on this one makes me curious whether we're going to find some behind-the-scenes updates / fixes that aren't in the notes, since the OTA seems pretty pedestrian overall (or if they're prepping the system for one of the upcoming OTAs that may be a more significant overhaul).

They said in the past they were investigating having a beta testing program with non-employees being able to join it, but either it hasn't happened yet or they aren't being public about it.
While I know a lot of folks prefer to have the newest & latest, a beta program would be a no-go for me since I use my Rivian as my daily driver. Even now I typically try to wait ~24 hours before updating to the public releases to allow time for any major issues that may be lurking to surface.

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Mine seems to be about 150-200 feet.

Really good enhancement, was much harder trying to hit touchscreen when approaching house.

EVGo plug and charge is nice as well, much closer to the super charger experience. Hopefully EA is coming as well as the payment still goes through EVGo so there is no negative that I’m aware of for the charge networks to allow this.
Agreed with the ~150-200 ft. Just got the chance to use it and it popped up traditionally where I would be engaging the screen to start opening the doors. Great timing on first use.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Just tested out the update. Really like the garage door button. Much more convenient. Also my favorite feature is probably the lock/unlock at the top of the main screen. I hated fumbling around the app to get the doors to unlock if I'm picking someone up. This is so much better.

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD
Just tested out the update. Really like the garage door button. Much more convenient. Also my favorite feature is probably the lock/unlock at the top of the main screen. I hated fumbling around the app to get the doors to unlock if I'm picking someone up. This is so much better.
There was always a button on there for unlocking/locking, now it's just a separate button for each. I kinda prefer the old way myself, but it works!

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
There was always a button on there for unlocking/locking, now it's just a separate button for each. I kinda prefer the old way myself, but it works!
Huh, guess I never noticed. No wonder why no one was clamoring for that feature!

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
EVGo plug and charge is nice as well, much closer to the super charger experience. Hopefully EA is coming as well as the payment still goes through EVGo so there is no negative that I’m aware of for the charge networks to allow this.
I did not get the update yet, but was able to setup Autocharge on an EVGO station. Yes the billing in this case is via EVGO and your EVGO account.

EA Plug & Charge works differently, the billing will go through Rivian, not EA. That is how my Mach E works, it is using the certificates to pass the payment authorization via third party (ISO15118). It is a pain if you have the Pass+, because you then have to use the EA app and not use P&C. Ford had a beta program to allow an annual fee to get the discount, but they never fully rolled it out.

So the downside to P&C on EA is that you cannot get the Pass+ discount while using it.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I did not get the update yet, but was able to setup Autocharge on an EVGO station. Yes the billing in this case is via EVGO and your EVGO account.

EA Plug & Charge works differently, the billing will go through Rivian, not EA. That is how my Mach E works, it is using the certificates to pass the payment authorization via third party (ISO15118). It is a pain if you have the Pass+, because you then have to use the EA app and not use P&C. Ford had a beta program to allow an annual fee to get the discount, but they never fully rolled it out.

So the downside to P&C on EA is that you cannot get the Pass+ discount while using it.
Thanks, that just seems silly. I get the advantage that you do not need all of the apps in that scenario but the EVGo implementation is just so simple. Setup the account, add a vehicle, sync the vehicle unique identifier for authorization.

I’m now curious to see how the Tesla integration will be set up.

I guess the good news is most if my charging is at home. 🤷🏼‍♂️

tbradley1015

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S4
Is there any change for closing the garage door when you are leaving or do you still have to use the main screen?

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Thanks, that just seems silly. I get the advantage that you do not need all of the apps in that scenario but the EVGo implementation is just so simple. Setup the account, add a vehicle, sync the vehicle unique identifier for authorization.

I’m now curious to see how the Tesla integration will be set up.

I guess the good news is most if my charging is at home. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I'll be disappointed if EA is setup like that for plug and charge. I expect Tesla will be seamless but I plan on using superchargers in a charging desert or an emergency.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Is there any change for closing the garage door when you are leaving or do you still have to use the main screen?
You can press the button on the steering wheel for open and close.

tbradley1015

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S4
You can press the button on the steering wheel for open and close.
Was wondering if the location is accurate enough for closing. I was thinking by the time the car recognizes it has left the area and pops up the garage option then you are out of radio range for the opener.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Was wondering if the location is accurate enough for closing. I was thinking by the time the car recognizes it has left the area and pops up the garage option then you are out of radio range for the opener.
When I get in in the garage prompt is already popped up so I just close as I leave.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
When I get in in the garage prompt is already popped up so I just close as I leave.
Yup, the prompt is there (since it's location based, and you'll presumably be in your garage) so when you pull out you just hit the steering wheel button - VOILA!
Sponsored