Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I like how they have the "manual hood opening method" that show screws and panels to remove. Then, the next page shows what firefighters will actually do, use tools to break the hood open. When we have a haligan and hydraulics versus a screwdriver, guess what gets used.
The ??
Sponsored

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Is anyone else worried that anyone with a screwdriver can break into your frunk?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Is anyone else worried that anyone with a screwdriver can break into your frunk?
Hasn't really been an issue for Tesla owners.

Physical security for cars and residences is really just to keep honest people honest, and provide minor deterrent for those who might have small lapses in judgement, but who otherwise aren't really committed.

Even without the manual release, breaking into a frunk/trunk would be trivial. A crowbar or screwdriver is all they need.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Oh, dear sweet summer child… ?

You can get in to the front trunk of most mid/rear engine Porsches in a similar fashion. Most any vehicle with an electric hood/trunk release has an externally accessible cable.

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
The high voltage diagram appears to rule out the possibility that a high voltage winch is in the works. No high voltage cable running to the front bumper.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I would rather they do it that way instead of a crowbar.

I would think it would alert you it was opened through the app.

bmelt

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Infiniti QX56
I like how they have the "manual hood opening method" that show screws and panels to remove. Then, the next page shows what firefighters will actually do, use tools to break the hood open. When we have a haligan and hydraulics versus a screwdriver, guess what gets used.
Funny as that whole hailgan piece was something that I added to the "real world" aspect of this which wasn't in there before. It came out during my conversations with the technical writer. I told him that the screwdriver and panel thing works, but if we didn't read the guide and time was ticking, we wouldn't be dealing with a screwdriver and panel in normal days. And, I wanted to be sure that we were not rocking the vehicle too much with opening the hood either to keep any patients stabilized as well.

carl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, VW Atlas, Volvo V60 Polestar
Clubs

I'm sure this is all in the user manual of the car, but wouldn't be a bad idea to have it printed out and one stored in the frunk and one stored in the be back somewhere.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm sure this is all in the user manual of the car, but wouldn't be a bad idea to have it printed out and one stored in the frunk and one stored in the be back somewhere.
This is not in the user manual of this or any other car. these guides are made available to fire departments by automakers directly and via the NFPA

carl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

This is not in the user manual of this or any other car. these guides are made available to fire departments by automakers directly and via the NFPA
Even more of a reason to have one readily available in the car.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The personnel responding to a vehicle fire are going to ACT and not care about what you have or have not printed out. They either already know the procedure, or they're going to invent one, on the spot. They aren't going to read a book.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So how does the fire department get to the emergency response guide that’s stored inside your on fire/upside down/otherwise disabled R1?

carl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

The personnel responding to a vehicle fire are going to ACT and not care about what you have or have not printed out. They either already know the procedure, or they're going to invent one, on the spot. They aren't going to read a book.
So how does the fire department get to the emergency response guide that’s stored inside your on fire/upside down/otherwise disabled R1?
Hahah, well yes of coarse, in a situations where time is of the essence like a fire things will happen at their speed and they are already trained for electrical fires. I guess I was thinking more about situations when time is not off the essence and things need to be done safely, so disabling the high voltage power needs to be done. The fire crew on site may not always have access to those documents. But I'm not a firefighter, so again, I may just be overthinking it.

I guess the question really is for @bmelt. Would it be worth having a print out of this to give to the first responder if the unfortunate happened?
Sponsored