Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So, I happened to find an otherwise unpublished link to the R1T's guide for 1st responders. Details where the HV cut loops are and all the "Do Not Cut" areas, which is most of the truck. There's some other graphics in there I definitely haven't seen before.
Sponsored

Attachments

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I cringed when reading out the secondary cut point. Please don't cut through my C-pillar!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I cringed when reading out the secondary cut point. Please don't cut through my C-pillar!
I mean, if they're at the point of cutting you out, pretty sure you won't give a shit about the C-pillar.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I mean, if they're at the point of cutting you out, pretty sure you won't give a shit about the C-pillar.
Cutting the pillar is not about extrication, it's about cutting the high-voltage line if they can't get under the hood for some reason. I could be well and fine sitting on the curb watching my vehicle get slowly totaled. :crying:

But I get your point.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Cutting the pillar is not about extrication, it's about cutting the high-voltage line if they can't get under the hood for some reason. I could be well and fine sitting on the curb watching my vehicle get slowly totaled. :crying:

But I get your point.
Maybe I'm weird, but my feeling is I want to either keep it pristine or total it. The most painful thing for me to watch would be a slow-speed parking lot collision that just dents/scratches a panel.

I absolutely want everyone to walk-away without injury, but if the car has to get hurt then just make it a quick and "final" event for the vehicle so I don't have a butchered vehicle.

Sponsored

TAZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
I'm starting to think a pair of insulated gloves would be a good thing to always have accessible. Maybe stored in a few locations.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Do manufacturers typically send out guides like this to first responders all over the country?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Do manufacturers typically send out guides like this to first responders all over the country?
Yes, especially with EVs because of the high voltage and risk of fires that be harder to control than gasoline fires.

bmelt

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Infiniti QX56
I am a day 1 R1T pre-order holder and also a firefighter. I got asked a few months back to provide feedback on this guide. I worked with a Rivian technical writer over a week or so with comments and a few phone calls. They did a great job learning about things and incorporating much of my feedback, given from a "real world" perspective. Until it was officially published, I couldn't say anything about it. The tech writer sent me the link earlier today. All guides for all vehicles are published here: https://www.nfpa.org/Training-and-E...cle-Safety-Training/Emergency-Response-Guides

Sponsored

bmelt

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Infiniti QX56

But I get your point.
Actually, if we have to do a roof lift, we may cut all pillars and lift the roof straight up and off. All depends on the condition and position of the occupants.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
TIL that the J1772 plug locks in the charger port. This will prevent people from unplugging you at a pub charger!

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

TIL that the J1772 plug locks in the charger port. This will prevent people from unplugging you at a pub charger!
I learned that from this too. I hope it's adjustable or deactivates when it's full. I'd hate to end up hogging a charging spot if someone else needed it more than me and had no way of letting me know.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
I am a day 1 R1T pre-order holder and also a firefighter. I got asked a few months back to provide feedback on this guide. I worked with a Rivian technical writer over a week or so with comments and a few phone calls. They did a great job learning about things and incorporating much of my feedback, given from a "real world" perspective. Until it was officially published, I couldn't say anything about it. The tech writer sent me the link earlier today. All guides for all vehicles are published here: https://www.nfpa.org/Training-and-E...cle-Safety-Training/Emergency-Response-Guides
I like how they have the "manual hood opening method" that show screws and panels to remove. Then, the next page shows what firefighters will actually do, use tools to break the hood open. When we have a haligan and hydraulics versus a screwdriver, guess what gets used.
Sponsored