OP
OP

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Damn. I feel for you, brother. Keep us updated.

I don't want to make light of your situation, but your post is also turning out to be a PSA for getting an oleophobic screen protector on that beautiful display.
I’ve always had oily fingers :)
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

One of the Christmas tree looked like the 12v - but that wasn’t always showing when running through different attempts to work with it

just got towed away. With the parking brake locked, had to be done with skates and from the rear as it was nose into a spot.
Probably won’t hear much on it for a few days with the weekend upcoming
im Already having Rivian Withdrawal Syndrome.
It must be like torture getting delivery, being able to drive it for a bit, and then having to give it back for a while. I’m hoping it’s a minor easily-corrected issue and you have your Rivian back s00n!

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Lots of glare and fingerprints, but here were the errors that lit up
On 2022.15.0 as well
12C87A47-A5C6-4DD8-A215-E4233B41CE56.jpeg
23B2D7A0-94EB-4348-B452-8547FA6F9982.jpeg
0F0B41AD-46E8-47C4-90F9-354E89DB40B7.jpeg
CFD84BEB-1DE1-4EEE-A3A1-9A9143AB1DEA.jpeg
That's a bummer ... did you stop at KFC just before the failure?! 🍗

OP
OP

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

That's a bummer ... did you stop at KFC just before the failure?! 🍗
There may or may not have been a Dunkin’ run for my kids birthday at school and there may not have been a full couple dozen delivered

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
just got towed away. With the parking brake locked, had to be done with skates and from the rear as it was nose into a spot.
I am surprised there is no manual way to release the breaks. If R1 decide to die in the middle of the highway, and the turtle refuse to cooperate, police will try to push it off the road which with locked wheels means a lot of damage to the tires and probably the bumper. There are so many other situations in which you would want it to roll with the electronics dead.

Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
There may or may not have been a Dunkin’ run for my kids birthday at school and there may not have been a full couple dozen delivered
LOL ... that splains it ... 🍩

OP
OP

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

I hope they are paying for, or providing, a rental?
It was going in Monday for service and were going to check paint. Due to length there a rental was already arranged. The rental place was as ready closed this evening. I’ll check with them and/or Rivian depending on answers tomorrow. We have another vehicle and don’t need to split up right away
They were very good with the credits and concern about making sure we had everything arranged to get home as well as people to get my kids as we were on the way to pick them up from school.

Pendarin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2020 Zero SR/S
My understanding of the issue is that modern vehicles rely on numerous modules which communicate on a bus/in-vehicle network. When the voltage gets out of spec (typically too low) the modules can start acting flaky and/or communication issues arise. In either case the main computer thinks a lot of stuff is broken/offline and starts spewing error messages or fault indicators.
Ooo ooo, I know this one! (And yet otherwise know next to nothing about vehicle design...)

It's called the CAN (like LAN or WAN): controller area network (sometimes misnamed car area network). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

I know because the headunit in my Jeep had been intermittently complaining for a while "can't communicate with CAN," so I had to recently get some rewiring done.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
“The CAN bus was developed by BOSCH (1) as a multi-master, message broadcast system that specifies a maximum signaling rate of 1 megabit per second (bps). Unlike a traditional network such as USB or Ethernet, CAN does not send large blocks of data point-to-point from node A to node B under the supervision of a central bus master. In a CAN network, many short messages like temperature or RPM are broadcast to the entire network, which provides for data consistency in every node of the system.”

Reactions: Max

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
My understanding of the issue is that modern vehicles rely on numerous modules which communicate on a bus/in-vehicle network. When the voltage gets out of spec (typically too low) the modules can start acting flaky and/or communication issues arise. In either case the main computer thinks a lot of stuff is broken/offline and starts spewing error messages or fault indicators.
For this to occur, the 12V subsystem would have to drop well below 9V. This what is typically specified by other OEMs.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Update: they have an idea for the drain here - 3rd truck this week. I couldn’t get full details yet, but speak to them on Monday. Short version was when truck sleeps it should use HV - something caused it to try to run on only 12V and killed it.
they are keeping it since I had repair work scheduled for Monday anyhow.
more details when I can get them.

All_electric_Seattle

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, R1T
Occupation
Construction
Had exactly the same issue today. They just took it away to the service center. Maybe the software update isn't perfect ;)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
Could be a faulty seat occupancy sensor. Also - keeping a seatbelt plugged in keeps the car from sleeping, some people do this for kid seats.

I learned this on night 1 of ownership. my delivery person had ROWDY cologne on and it was all over my seatbelt. I plugged the belt in to unwind, hit it with some 50/50 water/vinegar and let it air out. Checked on the truck before bed and noticed it was not sleeping. Called support and they asked if a seatbelt was plugged in or anything heavy was on a seat. He said the sometimes use the seatbelt trick at the shop to keep the trucks awake for updates.

OP
OP

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Got the truck back.

The module that tells the truck it’s going to sleep and the high voltage should trickle the 12v doesn’t always tell it. It’s being worked on, hopefully the next software update contains the fix.

12v batteries got replaced because of it.

Fingers crossed it doesn’t happen again before another update.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
I suppose if you're worried you could connect a trickle charger to the rear leads to ensure the 12v system doesn't die again until they address this problem.
Sponsored