Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Interesting 🤔

The patent shows an image of an EV hooked up to an energy storage device. The device can provide power to or from a home, vehicle, campsite, or more. It can be fixed in position or portable.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
hopefully solid state lithium batteries.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Oh c'mon. Literally just finished loading up my camper with LFP batteries

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Interesting, I have a Powerwall, I do like it, the only thing I see different here is it says it is portable, would be curious how that would actually work.

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
Interesting, I have a Powerwall, I do like it, the only thing I see different here is it says it is portable, would be curious how that would actually work.
It might be nice if the power adapter part was portable (separate from the battery) to make it lighter and then attach it to the R1 directly to use it's power.

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

So a back up battery to charge truck?

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Is this their answer for V2H? Put another battery in between.
I hope not that would defeat the purpose of having a 135kw battery sitting in the garage already...

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Is this their answer for V2H? Put another battery in between.
As time goes on I’m becoming less optimistic that V2H is happening. Here’s why: how do you reconcile battery power backup with a federally mandated vehicle battery warranty of 8 years/100k miles? If I’m a manufacturer I don’t want my batteries needlessly cycling running a household when I’m on the hook for 8+ years. Rivian is even more extreme since the warranty period is 150k on the batteries.

Edit: Federal warranty period requirement is 8 years/100k, not 10yr/100k. CA state is 10yr/150k.

Last edited:

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Honestly how often would your truck power your house? In a typical usage pattern, almost never. At my house, power goes out about 4 times a year. Usually for less than 10 minutes, but every few years it can be as long as three days. I don't think that on average this would noticeably change battery life.

Regardless, V2H doesn't exist without bi-directional EVSEs, and those aren't on the market yet.

And remember, this is a PATENT, not a PRODUCT. It's quite possible that Rivian will never produce something protected by this patent.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

As time goes on I’m becoming less optimistic that V2H is happening. Here’s why: how do you reconcile battery power backup with a federally mandated vehicle battery warranty of 10years/100k miles? If I’m a manufacturer I don’t want my batteries needlessly cycling running a household when I’m on the hook for 10 years. Rivian is even more extreme since the warranty period is 150k on the batteries.
I expect they will include some tracking here and limit you to what boils down to X number of cycles. I also would not be surprised if they added some way to charge extremely heavy users because of the battery warranty.

These V2H systems should be capable of acting as a full time off-grid battery, but it shouldn't be the expectation that the manufacturer would support it in that situation.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
I’ve been waiting for home storage to expand beyond the several providers who seem to prevail at fairly significant price premiums Ie: Tesla Powerwall, Enphase, a few others.

Hope this comes to fruition in short order. V2H and or portability are just bonuses.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Rivian sure does like to patent things... a lot!

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
As time goes on I’m becoming less optimistic that V2H is happening. Here’s why: how do you reconcile battery power backup with a federally mandated vehicle battery warranty of 10years/100k miles? If I’m a manufacturer I don’t want my batteries needlessly cycling running a household when I’m on the hook for 10 years. Rivian is even more extreme since the warranty period is 150k on the batteries.
The draw on a battery for powering a house is so much less than driving an EV.

I average 15 kWh a day at my house excluding EV charging. Powering my house for 24 hours would be like driving 25 minutes at 70 mph in my R1S. If I lost power for 30 full days over the course of a year it would be like driving an additional 900 very slow easy miles on the battery.

The minimal strain on EV batteries powering a house is why there is a life for them to power houses after they are no longer capable of EV use.
Sponsored