Sponsored

Rivian OS is possibly Android Based

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
What the heck is Facebook doing in that list??
I hope it was due to your preference or conscious decision to either use them for some saml or Oauth login option (for some other app)?
I hate Facebook (and all it's services) and hope there is no passive data sharing or telemetry with Facebook services.
I'd up vote this to Mars if I could. FB and the whole Meta BS... Funny how life keeps going on without the use of their garbage world, in fact I'd say it's been enhanced for the better since removing myself from it years ago.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Khaneric

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
I'd up vote this to Mars if I could. FB and the whole Meta BS... Funny how life keeps going on without the use of their garbage world, in fact I'd say it's been enhanced for the better since removing myself from it years ago.
I agree about Facebook, I'm not sure if maybe it was a login option on Spotify that trigger it or what. I'm going to reset the stats and see if it pops up again.

I didn't have any time last night to mess with this more cause both my kids kept waking up with a cold. Hopefully i can dig back into it tonight.

OP
OP
Khaneric

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Just a couple of things to confirm since i can access my pi-hole from work.

Yes amazon is AWS, I think we all figured that but I can officially confirm it's pushing data to AWS.
The same data (or a subset of it) seems to be going directly to Rivian as well.

They seem to be storing the OTA data on goriv.co and the Whois comes back as a Rivian owned domain.

Time is being synced with Google servers.

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
I got my truck last Thursday and started messing around with it to see what I can dig up. I setup MITM proxy to try to capture some network traffic. Of course they're not totally stupid and everything I've seen in my limited time trying has been https and enforcing valid certs so stuff in the truck is broken on my MITM wifi.

The only thing that's getting through looks like some sort of logging for the nav system. It looks like it keeps trying to upload a log of status data but it's failing (and not because of the MITM). The first event is at the local service center so I'm guessing it's after they initialized/wiped the truck of it's factory data. There's a bunch of them and it seems to keep growing. The events are all starts, stops, and one where I set my home location.
POST https://astrapena.telenav.com/logshedcollector/api/logs/upload/JSON/com.rivian.rivianivinavigation
JSON:
{
            "event_name": "STOP_ENGINE",
            "log_context": {
                "client_name": "com.rivian.rivianivinavigation",
                "client_version": "a40737f5715082633331d2b251dd93ba45f68308",
                "connection_type": "UNKNOWN_CELLULAR",
                "current_lat": 28.40074,
                "current_lon": -81.362167,
                "device_id": "db5bfe73a73542b3ecefbfb236f3299d",
                "device_make": "QUALCOMM",
                "device_model": "Rivian R1T",
                "log_id": "67d116cc-f230-4917-95fb-1b14364a7162",
                "log_version": "v4",
                "os_name": "Android",
                "os_version": "10",
                "raw_gps_timestamp": 1655904055293,
                "sdk_version": "1.4.13.15",
                "session_id": "55e4d43c-5dd2-4846-b34c-bd6580228354",
                "session_timer": 4829,
                "time_zone": "America/New_York",
                "user_id": "02-rivian",
                "utc_timestamp": 1655904055293
            },
            "schema_definition": "StopEngine"
        }
Response code 400
JSON:
{
    "status": {
        "message": "Invalid AppId",
        "status": "25400"
    }
}
If there was still any doubt that it's Android, I got this when I tried to hit tunein while the traffic was being intercepted...
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian OS is possibly Android Based 1656330664501

I've got some packet caps but nothing real interesting since it's all TLS. The hosts its trying to get to are...
astrapena.telenav.com
tsync.rivianservices.com
ruploader-prod-pcap.s3.amazonaws.com
ruploader-asset.rivianservices.com
device.ota.goriv.co

That last one is probably the most interesting based on name (I'm guessing it's the update distribution service). It looks like it's using client-cert auth so I'm assuming the trucks have a cert provisioned to them to auth to the various services.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I got my truck last Thursday and started messing around with it to see what I can dig up. I setup MITM proxy to try to capture some network traffic. Of course they're not totally stupid and everything I've seen in my limited time trying has been https and enforcing valid certs so stuff in the truck is broken on my MITM wifi.

The only thing that's getting through looks like some sort of logging for the nav system. It looks like it keeps trying to upload a log of status data but it's failing (and not because of the MITM). The first event is at the local service center so I'm guessing it's after they initialized/wiped the truck of it's factory data. There's a bunch of them and it seems to keep growing. The events are all starts, stops, and one where I set my home location.
POST https://astrapena.telenav.com/logshedcollector/api/logs/upload/JSON/com.rivian.rivianivinavigation
JSON:
{
            "event_name": "STOP_ENGINE",
            "log_context": {
                "client_name": "com.rivian.rivianivinavigation",
                "client_version": "a40737f5715082633331d2b251dd93ba45f68308",
                "connection_type": "UNKNOWN_CELLULAR",
                "current_lat": 28.40074,
                "current_lon": -81.362167,
                "device_id": "db5bfe73a73542b3ecefbfb236f3299d",
                "device_make": "QUALCOMM",
                "device_model": "Rivian R1T",
                "log_id": "67d116cc-f230-4917-95fb-1b14364a7162",
                "log_version": "v4",
                "os_name": "Android",
                "os_version": "10",
                "raw_gps_timestamp": 1655904055293,
                "sdk_version": "1.4.13.15",
                "session_id": "55e4d43c-5dd2-4846-b34c-bd6580228354",
                "session_timer": 4829,
                "time_zone": "America/New_York",
                "user_id": "02-rivian",
                "utc_timestamp": 1655904055293
            },
            "schema_definition": "StopEngine"
        }
Response code 400
JSON:
{
    "status": {
        "message": "Invalid AppId",
        "status": "25400"
    }
}
If there was still any doubt that it's Android, I got this when I tried to hit tunein while the traffic was being intercepted...
1656330664501.png

I've got some packet caps but nothing real interesting since it's all TLS. The hosts its trying to get to are...
astrapena.telenav.com
tsync.rivianservices.com
ruploader-prod-pcap.s3.amazonaws.com
ruploader-asset.rivianservices.com
device.ota.goriv.co

That last one is probably the most interesting based on name (I'm guessing it's the update distribution service). It looks like it's using client-cert auth so I'm assuming the trucks have a cert provisioned to them to auth to the various services.
Interesting. I thought it was confirmed to be QNX.

Who’s prepared to hack it for CP/AA support?

Sponsored

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
It seems to be poorly written but looks to me like this is looking for people to develop / update the Android application. I do not read it as it is for the actual Rivian OS.
"Design and develop Rivian infotainment applications on Android OS"
"Familiarity with embedded Android framework services"
"Experience with developing mapping, multi-media, and Bluetooth solutions is a plus"

All those things imply in-car software. There's way too much smoke for there not to be some form of Android running in the infotainment on top of QNX.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
"Experience with developing mapping, multi-media, and Bluetooth solutions is a plus"

All those things imply in-car software. There's way too much smoke for there not to be some form of Android running in the infotainment on top of QNX.
Possibly but if they start implementing things like location services where you can track the vehicle real-time through the app or ability to view vehicle cameras remotely much of that comes into play as well.

Not saying it does not have it in the truck just not super clear to me in that posting it is not app development on the remote devices.

Sponsored

Gdorff

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi RS5
Occupation
Business owner / CIO
This lines up with what we saw from their job postings. They seemed to be hiring Android engineers for "Infotainment" and QNX engineers for "in vehicle software"

My current theory is they are potentially running both OSs -- Android for the infotainment, and QNX for the RTOS/dash display with one hosting the other (probably QNX hosting Android).

But my evidence is light, so it's a lot of speculation.
I can attest it does seem like two separate systems working together between the driver's display and the main screen.

I've hooked up wireless/wired keyboards and mice to the Rivian and it does recognize human interface devices but I can't find a way for the mouse to travel to the driver's screen. But some keyboard operations do cause the driver screen functions to glitch out in some way.

As of now I haven't found any way to access a terminal application within the vehicle.. (all common hotkeys have been tested)

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

I hope you are right, but those quotes do NOT count as evidence the job posting is referring to the vehicle OS software. All of those examples are important for phone apps and don't necessarily mean what you want them to mean.

Last edited:

pfbz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (ordered), F150, Q5, 911 Turbo(s)
My Ubiquiti network thinks the Rivian is a "Canary Pro Security" device, obviously incorrect... As it often is.

Futher digging and it looks like the mac address being used by Rivian is assigned to u-blox. Looks like they make wireless connectivity chips and autonomous vehicle positioning technology

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I hope you are right, but those quotes do NOT count as evidence the job posting is referring to the vehicle OS software. All of those examples are important for phone apps and don't necessarily mean what you want them to mean.
They are definitely using AAOS for the third party apps, because that is how Spotify is loaded and presumably every other current and future third party infotainment app. Which makes sense, they just take the existing app to leverage what's already there. As has been said in the CP/AA debate, developers aren't going to create an app just for Rivians.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
developers aren't going to create an app just for Rivians.
Rivian developers will absolutely create an app just for Rivians. If Rivian were leveraging existing off-the-shelf apps, their app offerings wouldn't be so sparse right now.
Sponsored