First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
So i did some digging around on my network today. It seems the Rivian software is android based and hopefully this could lead to bigger things. Ignore the phone picture, it's just what Ubiquiti assigns to Android.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian OS is possibly Android Based 1647904593024

Also i looked at the packets it's sending and here's what it sent after a few days:

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian OS is possibly Android Based 1647904650842

Amazon could be the gear guard video, the diagnostic logs, or other random information. This data was sent BEFORE i turned Alexa on.

I'm going to keep digging through my pihole and see if anything else interesting comes up.
Sponsored

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

So i did some digging around on my network today. It seems the Rivian software is android based and hopefully this could lead to bigger things. Ignore the phone picture, it's just what Ubiquiti assigns to Android.

1647904593024.png

Also i looked at the packets it's sending and here's what it sent after a few days:

1647904650842.png

Amazon could be the gear guard video, the diagnostic logs, or other random information. This data was sent BEFORE i turned Alexa on.

I'm going to keep digging through my pihole and see if anything else interesting comes up.
UniFi fingerprints go crazy sometimes though and misidentify. But, I hope you submitted a picture of your truck for their library - will be good for when I get mine if they have it in there already!

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Ya, almost certainly android or some other linux / unix OS. Not sure why it really matters though...

OP
OP
Khaneric

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
UniFi fingerprints go crazy sometimes though and misidentify. But, I hope you submitted a picture of your truck for their library - will be good for when I get mine if they have it in there already!
Done and Done :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Khaneric

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Ya, almost certainly android or some other linux / unix OS. Not sure why it really matters though...
It means they could easily integrate android auto or some form of screen mirroring if they wanted to.
Also opens the system up to a lot more native android apps.

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

My UniFi system thinks my wifi smoker is an Apple TV… that said I think it’s more probable that rivian OS is android based than my smoker being made my Steve Jobs.
And one more thing
Introducing iSmoke

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Do we think Amazon is simply AWS? Or would AWS appear differently than just "Amazon"?

OP
OP
Khaneric

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Do we think Amazon is simply AWS? Or would AWS appear differently than just "Amazon"?
I'll know more later when i get home from work and check my pi-hole, but my guess is AWS for the gear guard and/or the diagnostic logs i had to send.

Sponsored

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
This lines up with what we saw from their job postings. They seemed to be hiring Android engineers for "Infotainment" and QNX engineers for "in vehicle software"

My current theory is they are potentially running both OSs -- Android for the infotainment, and QNX for the RTOS/dash display with one hosting the other (probably QNX hosting Android).

But my evidence is light, so it's a lot of speculation.

Polecat

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Programmer
This lines up with what we saw from their job postings. They seemed to be hiring Android engineers for "Infotainment" and QNX engineers for "in vehicle software"

My current theory is they are potentially running both OSs -- Android for the infotainment, and QNX for the RTOS/dash display with one hosting the other (probably QNX hosting Android).

That makes sense to me about the layering. The thing I’ve learned from my Polestar is that Android Automotive OS cannot be the software to run the car itself as it is not a real time OS for whatever that means. At least version 10 which hosts the infotainment over there.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators

This lines up with QNX as a partner with Unreal.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

I'm there with ya.
Sponsored