Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
I'm going to keep digging through my pihole and see if anything else interesting comes up.
12 year old me wants to thank you for digging through your pihole.

Somewhat more grown up me just wants to thank you for the detective work.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Wouldn't digging in your pihole be like brushing your teeth?

Unless you put your pie somewhere el-- wait, never mind. I dont want to know.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
It certainly could be Android, though if it is it’s based on the Android Open Source Platform (Amazon’s tablets use this, as do many other things), not Googles Android auto distribution like Polestar and Audi (I think?) use. QNX is also a very very popular OS for vehicles.

Sponsored

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
My UniFi system thinks my wifi smoker is an Apple TV… that said I think it’s more probable that rivian OS is android based than my smoker being made my Steve Jobs.
Well you never know....Steve liked to smoke in his younger days.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
That makes sense to me about the layering. The thing I’ve learned from my Polestar is that Android Automotive OS cannot be the software to run the car itself as it is not a real time OS for whatever that means. At least version 10 which hosts the infotainment over there.
It will be interesting to see how many features are gained when Polestar moves to 11 this Spring.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
It certainly could be Android, though if it is it’s based on the Android Open Source Platform (Amazon’s tablets use this, as do many other things), not Googles Android auto distribution like Polestar and Audi (I think?) use. QNX is also a very very popular OS for vehicles.
To be clear, Polestar and Volvo (it's not Audi) are using Android Automotive, not Android Auto. I know it's confusing. I have first-hand experience with Android Automotive since it is in my wife's 2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge. It's okay. It's more like how Android was way back when on the Motorola Xoom years ago. It works but it's not the best fit. About once a week, either Android itself complete locks up and restarts or the cellular subsystem gets into a funky state and has to be restarted.

If you want to play with it yourself, download/install the Android Studio environment and then get the developer emulator image from https://developer.volvocars.com/

I work with QNX professionally as they are a partner of my company. They are typically going to be for the instrument cluster and other safety-centric things. A QNX license is expensive enough that you're not going to use it on something commodity where you don't need all of the extra performance assurances like you do in a ECU or cluster.

Edit: On the Rivian Android app developer postings, I've inquired about them and for all of the ones I know of it is for the handset app, nothing in the vehicle.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
To be clear, Polestar and Volvo (it's not Audi) are using Android Automotive, not Android Auto. I know it's confusing. I have first-hand experience with Android Automotive since it is in my wife's 2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge. It's okay. It's more like how Android was way back when on the Motorola Xoom years ago. It works but it's not the best fit. About once a week, either Android itself complete locks up and restarts or the cellular subsystem gets into a funky state and has to be restarted.

If you want to play with it yourself, download/install the Android Studio environment and then get the developer emulator image from https://developer.volvocars.com/

I work with QNX professionally as they are a partner of my company. They are typically going to be for the instrument cluster and other safety-centric things. A QNX license is expensive enough that you're not going to use it on something commodity where you don't need all of the extra performance assurances like you do in a ECU or cluster.

Edit: On the Rivian Android app developer postings, I've inquired about them and for all of the ones I know of it is for the handset app, nothing in the vehicle.
You are absolutely right. I meant the full OS (Android Automotive) but used the name for their… completely other thing… maybe Google needs help with naming…

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Hopefully Rivian's Android implementation is more stable than my 4 year old Sony Bravia XBR TV. It's Android based, and it's terrible - slow, buggy, locks up. I have to reboot it every week, unless it unexpectedly crashes & reboots on it own, lol.

Sponsored

mike22co

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X3 (x2), s00n R1S
Occupation
Person
That is a disturbing amount of data going to/from Amazon. Hopefully it's just misidentifying AWS as Amazon.
It's definitely going to be AWS. Rivian has been clear so far, about using AWS for analytics on the vehicles. 700MB is actually pretty low for an EV/Smartcar. These things will be screaming data with more miles driven and use of Driver+.

https://www.bloomberg.com/press-rel...rformance-and-refinement-of-electric-vehicles

I have a couple of parts to a series on the Pervasive Monitoring of Vehicles started.
https://blog.hollyman.com/pervasive-monitoring-of-vehicles/

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer

I have seen some for App developers: https://boards.greenhouse.io/rivian/jobs/4298866003

And others for "Infotainment" https://boards.greenhouse.io/rivian/jobs/4580154003

They appear to make a distinction in the job title and descriptions, but I suppose it could be possible that it some kind of typo or copy and paste mistake in the job posting.

edit: would be curious to know which you inquired about!

Last edited:

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
FWIW Android Automotive can be run without Google's services.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Automotive
https://source.android.com/devices/automotive/start/what_automotive

GMC, Stellantis, Volvo, Polestar, and Lucid all use some form of Android Automotive

KurtP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
So i did some digging around on my network today. It seems the Rivian software is android based and hopefully this could lead to bigger things. Ignore the phone picture, it's just what Ubiquiti assigns to Android.

1647904593024.png

Also i looked at the packets it's sending and here's what it sent after a few days:

1647904650842.png

Amazon could be the gear guard video, the diagnostic logs, or other random information. This data was sent BEFORE i turned Alexa on.

I'm going to keep digging through my pihole and see if anything else interesting comes up.
What the heck is Facebook doing in that list??
I hope it was due to your preference or conscious decision to either use them for some saml or Oauth login option (for some other app)?
I hate Facebook (and all it's services) and hope there is no passive data sharing or telemetry with Facebook services.
Sponsored

Last edited: