Sponsored

Rivian Body Design Flaw?

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Look at the mud collecting on the ridge of the door and the flare of the rear wheel. Is this going to be a problem long-term? Will the mud act like sandpaper over time, wearing down the paint in these areas?

EDIT: According to AdamsFan1983, below, "There is factory applied ppf in most of not all of the areas your mention."
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Body Design Flaw? 733703D8-02FD-4F72-930D-751EA97C2A6A
Sponsored

Last edited:

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
It used to have a screen. I’m sure someone will make an aftermarket piece to slip in there when off roading maybe…it helps aerodynamics is why it’s there. ?‍♂

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
It might result in long term paint wear and chipping, but I would not call it a design flaw, it's just the age old form vs. function debate. I recall reading some discussions about factory PPF (Paint Protection Film) around the wheel arches, not sure exatly where though.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
There is factory applied ppf in most of not all of the areas your mention

Sponsored

cmiller

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Occupation
Nurse
that's nothing compared to what my bronco kicks up. If it's that big of a problem I am sure someone will come out with mud flaps

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Sorry but this is just an absurd suggestion and no different than any other mud-slinging slab-sided vehicle without the Rivian aero-ridge.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Body Design Flaw? mud

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

One of the recent detail guy videos going over a white R1t showed factory PPF in that area but I'm sure there will be something aftermarket to slip into there. I'm thinking for todays weather that could fill with ice and slush freeze and make it hard to open the door.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Sorry but this is just an absurd suggestion and no different than any other mud-slinging slab-sided vehicle without the Rivian aero-ridge.

mud.png
No, not really. However, my only thought is that most folks would add mudflaps to combat this. Of course mudflaps also increase drag, which is something we’d want to avoid on this truck. But other than that, no difference.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
It’s absolutely not absurd, and is also an issue I’m concerned about. Every R1T I’ve seen IRL has had dirt splattered in that area, even on otherwise clean trucks. If you’re the type of person who takes pride in keeping their vehicles clean, it’s going to be a problem. I’ll be first in line to purchase any solutions that are made to fill that hole, even at the cost of range.

Sponsored

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek

mud.png
Where I'm from, dudes where this like a badge of honor for about 2 weeks. Might even let the rain wash it off. ?‍♂

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It’s absolutely not absurd, and is also an issue I’m concerned about. Every R1T I’ve seen IRL has had dirt splattered in that area, even on otherwise clean trucks. If you’re the type of person who takes pride in keeping their vehicles clean, it’s going to be a problem. I’ll be first in line to purchase any solutions that are made to fill that hole, even at the cost of range.
The OP was talking about a "design flaw" that might cause the paint to "wear down" as if this were something unique to Rivian. You're simply complaining about needing to wash your truck more frequently in order to keep it pristine. That's a real tragedy. If anything, you should be concerned about the potential for chips in the vertical painted surfaces at the front end of the vehicle.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
The OP was talking about a "design flaw" that might cause the paint to "wear down" as if this were something unique to Rivian. You're simply complaining about needing to wash your truck more frequently in order to keep it pristine. That's a real tragedy. If anything, you should be concerned about the potential for chips in the vertical painted surfaces at the front end of the vehicle.
Ah, now I remember. You're the person who mocked me earlier in the year for the same concern, and then made fun of my disorder. Thought I had blocked you. Won't make that mistake again.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Is that slot in the wheel well also on the R1S? When I saw that on the detailing video I thought, what were they thinking.
It is. They're trying to reduce drag with it.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The solution! :CWL:
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Body Design Flaw? 1642438686791
Sponsored