Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Same low key hail in Seattle. Sometimes we get snow (looks like hail but isn't ice) called grapple. Skiing on it is something very unique when there is more than a few inches of it.

I was looking at those Nitto's as well. Speed rating and not 3 peak keep me away for my application of all year use, summer road trips and skiing. Looks like you might be going for 2 sets, winter/summer? Any difference in ride quality with 60psi? Was thinking to go for same tire pressure with TOYO AT3s...
Yeah thinking studded for winter. No issues with ride quality, Iā€™m running 60 due to the extra weight of my setup.

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
60 psiā€¦.lol

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
That was one of the worst Iā€™ve ever seen. Itā€™s funny that we can go 2-3 years without any hail, then get hit with one of those.
Yep live close to Colorado Mills. Half my neighborhood looked like a war zone. Had $70k in damages on my house, tennis ball size and went through west facing windows.

waitinUntil2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
After reading your explanation of ā€œOregon hailā€ I get it. Hail here in CO sends everyone diving for cover. People out driving start looking for anything to park under - trees, overpasses, gas stations, etcā€¦ Years ago a hail storm destroyed an entire mall that had a skylight roof. šŸ˜¬
Killed some zoo animals too IIRC...

Nice tires! Report back your energy usage! ;)

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Oregon hail is very different than other parts of the country. Never more than pea sized and happens a lot.. so no biggie.
After reading your explanation of ā€œOregon hailā€ I get it. Hail here in CO sends everyone diving for cover. People out driving start looking for anything to park under - trees, overpasses, gas stations, etcā€¦ Years ago a hail storm destroyed an entire mall that had a skylight roof. šŸ˜¬
Here is why I have PTSD about hailā€¦

Rivian R1T R1S Rivi got some new shoes - Nitto Recon Grappler AT Tires (275/65/R20) 2F4CA080-402C-474A-BDBD-2BB500576A93

KRo

First Name
Kory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22ā€™ R1T, 22", RBlue, OCoast, no Tonneau
Occupation
Business owner
Here is why I have PTSD about hailā€¦
Jeezeā€¦ yeah, I would have PTSD also! Hail here in the NW is usually about the size of rock salt. Small marble size is about the largest Iā€™ve seen here, but itā€™s usually in the form of groupel, which is essentially soft hail. My vehicles have always parked outside in peaceā€¦ ;)

SurlyBurris

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2001 Land Rover Disco II, R1T
Yep live close to Colorado Mills. Half my neighborhood looked like a war zone. Had $70k in damages on my house, tennis ball size and went through west facing windows.
Ha! My office is in Lakewood...completely totaled my Ford Fusion. Drove home with a baseball size hole in my front windshield. That was a crazy storm for sure!

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

So by my count, this is your third set of tires, ya? I recall youā€™d posted previously that you swapped in a few new ATs and then a full set of 21s.

My 21ā€ all seasons have a limited life left on them at ~20k and I am contemplating ATs. I have a loaner right now with factory ATs and I am digging them. Interested in your perceptions in the next few weeks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

So by my count, this is your third set of tires, ya? I recall youā€™d posted previously that you swapped in a few new ATs and then a full set of 21s.

My 21ā€ all seasons have a limited life left on them at ~20k and I am contemplating ATs. I have a loaner right now with factory ATs and I am digging them. Interested in your perceptions in the next few weeks.
Yeah. I still got the 21s which I may still use on summer road trips but if the range isnā€™t terrible on these Nittoā€˜s and my camper I may just stick with them until winter and get some studded winter tires.

Actually the Pirelli ATs still have life, at least the two I had swapped in but even the others the tire shop guy said that none were completely worn outā€¦ not sure what I will do with those but I am getting to the opinion that this truck is too heavy not to have LT tires on it, especially in my setup.

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Yeah. I still got the 21s which I may still use on summer road trips but if the range isnā€™t terrible on these Nittoā€˜s and my camper I may just stick with them until winter and get some studded winter tires.

Actually the Pirelli ATs still have life, at least the two I had swapped in but even the others the tire shop guy said that none were completely worn outā€¦ not sure what I will do with those but I am getting to the opinion that this truck is too heavy not to have LT tires on it, especially in my setup.
Cool - looking forward to hearing how they fare with all that weight.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Yeah thinking studded for winter. No issues with ride quality, Iā€™m running 60 due to the extra weight of my setup.
I just realized I have no idea what states studded tires are legal in. My state says they are legal if a manufacturer has proven and submitted evidence they cause no damage to the roads. So far there are zero options here. (The law also allows them on roads that are completely covered but then you'll end up stranded somewhere after they clean up the road)

What's the max PSI on the tires? Could be interesting to see a repeated range test at different pressures. Sometimes range is more important than less tire wear.

As long as you aren't exceeding the load rating of the tire it shouldn't really matter.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I just realized I have no idea what states studded tires are legal in. My state says they are legal if a manufacturer has proven and submitted evidence they cause no damage to the roads. So far there are zero options here. (The law also allows them on roads that are completely covered but then you'll end up stranded somewhere after they clean up the road)

What's the max PSI on the tires? Could be interesting to see a repeated range test at different pressures. Sometimes range is more important than less tire wear.

As long as you aren't exceeding the load rating of the tire it shouldn't really matter.
Yeah the midwest doesn't really need studded tires anyway, out here in the west they are legal in every state as far as I know for certain months of the year, with a quick search it seems Michigan is one of the more restrictive states and an outlier in the northern part of the country.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/studded-tires-legal-states

In Oregon they are good to go between Nov 1st and Mar 31st.

The tires will take up to 80 psi. It's an interesting question you pose I didn't really do it for range I was just thinking about weight. Luckily I don't get TPMS warning messages running above pressure.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The tires will take up to 80 psi. It's an interesting question you pose I didn't really do it for range I was just thinking about weight. Luckily I don't get TPMS warning messages running above pressure.
I put 50psi cold into our R1S 21" tires before our trip a couple weekends ago when it was below freezing. Driving on the 80 degree day we saw two days ago it was at 59 psi for all four corners. I was surprised they didn't pop up a warning about being too high of pressure (but maybe we should stop talking about it since we know Rivian reads these forums)

We do get quite a bit of ice occasionally.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivi got some new shoes - Nitto Recon Grappler AT Tires (275/65/R20) 1682009224373
Sponsored