Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Got some new tires on my ATs today. Nitto Recon Grappler LT 275/65/R20. Currently running them at 60psi.

To get the obvious questions out of the way. They do have a bit more road noise but I was running the 21s before this but I think they are louder than the Pirelli ATs. No idea on the efficiency loss yet.

Some eye candy for the masses taken in a hail storm with high Suspension

3 Month Update:

1. The Nitto's can get a little squirely on the highway on rougher roads, I assume this is due to the aggressive tread pattern. Its not something I recall on the 20" Pirelli ATs.
2. The difference in efficiency of the Nitto Recon Grappler vs the 21" Pirelli AS tires is about 14% (1.64 vs. 1.9 mi/kWh) - Note the lower number is due to aero effects from my camper shell. This is also an upper bound since I spent more time off road on the 20" Nitto's.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivi got some new shoes - Nitto Recon Grappler AT Tires (275/65/R20) 5FF0CB01-FDE1-4DF1-8330-96CCFFB8E73A

Rivian R1T R1S Rivi got some new shoes - Nitto Recon Grappler AT Tires (275/65/R20) EECFF6C5-1221-4689-AA52-39AE4D656DBA

Rivian R1T R1S Rivi got some new shoes - Nitto Recon Grappler AT Tires (275/65/R20) 0F375573-B37A-4258-98D1-6A328E3D5450

Rivian R1T R1S Rivi got some new shoes - Nitto Recon Grappler AT Tires (275/65/R20) 68B794E9-2BA9-42BF-BA6E-70B0C01CADE9
Sponsored

Last edited:

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
They look great...but why are you letting it get hailed on??

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

They look great...but why are you letting it get hailed on??
Oregon hail is very different than other parts of the country. Never more than pea sized and happens a lot.. so no biggie.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
They look great! And probably would still look great if you waited until after the hail storm to do this :giggle:

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

They look great! And probably would still look great if you waited until after the hail storm to do this :giggle:
LOL.. just what happened to be the weather when I got home from the tire shop. I had some solar panels splayed all over the floor of the garage anyway so I had to move those before I could pull in.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
LOL.. just what happened to be the weather when I got home from the tire shop. I had some solar panels splayed all over the floor of the garage anyway so I had to move those before I could pull in.
After reading your explanation of ā€œOregon hailā€ I get it. Hail here in CO sends everyone diving for cover. People out driving start looking for anything to park under - trees, overpasses, gas stations, etcā€¦ Years ago a hail storm destroyed an entire mall that had a skylight roof. šŸ˜¬

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

After reading your explanation of ā€œOregon hailā€ I get it. Hail here in CO sends everyone diving for cover. People out driving start looking for anything to park under - trees, overpasses, gas stations, etcā€¦ Years ago a hail storm destroyed an entire mall that had a skylight roof. šŸ˜¬
In Wisconsin where I grew up hail storms could be very damaging so I get that.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Lol we are entering that time of year where I have to balance risk of hail damage with driving the truck somewhere.

Tires look good. Excited seeing other options for the truck.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Wet weather traction good?
So far no issues, probably not as good as the Pirelli ATs as they have less siping and are not 3 peak rated.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Years ago a hail storm destroyed an entire mall that had a skylight roof. šŸ˜¬
Less than a mile from my office. My house is about 14 miles away from it, but we still got golf ball sized hail that day.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Less than a mile from my office. My house is about 14 miles away from it, but we still got golf ball sized hail that day.
That was one of the worst Iā€™ve ever seen. Itā€™s funny that we can go 2-3 years without any hail, then get hit with one of those.

Mcdoo

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo, expedition
Occupation
Engineer
Same low key hail in Seattle. Sometimes we get snow (looks like hail but isn't ice) called grapple. Skiing on it is something very unique when there is more than a few inches of it.

I was looking at those Nitto's as well. Speed rating and not 3 peak keep me away for my application of all year use, summer road trips and skiing. Looks like you might be going for 2 sets, winter/summer? Any difference in ride quality with 60psi? Was thinking to go for same tire pressure with TOYO AT3s...
Sponsored