RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I ended up bailing on mine at about 16k. They were so, so loud...
Sponsored

Jedimaster109

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T & 2021 Tesla Model Y
Has anyone replaced with OEMs again? Was it just a bad batch that Rivian received from pirelli? I have almost 20k and it’s bad but still have some good tread on them…

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

im going to go with the OEMs again because i have a spare tire that i want to use in a 5 tire rotation pattern. im close to 17k but it hasn't gotten louder than it was at 13k. maybe im more tolerant but its not crazy loud as some others are experiencing.

Jedimaster109

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T & 2021 Tesla Model Y
I was thinking of just buying 3 and using my spare tire and keeping one of the worn ones for spare.

Wish we knew if is the tire or just a bad batch, because I don't mind the tire, but it gets loud. Mine are wearing nice and even and I rotate and watch pressures all the time and they still cupped.

Quicksilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1T, Tesla MY, '88 110
Occupation
Self Employed
Just took my R1T to Discount Tire today for a 2nd rotation after 13k mi. The tire noise has increased significantly over the past 4k miles. Just a constant thrum over 40mph. I drive 80% all-purpose auto/low, 20% conserve low while on highways. DT said it could use an alignment due to an apparent toe-in from observed inner edge treadwear. Has anyone else noticed this?

Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

I could have got 35-40k out of them, but at 30k I couldn’t take it anymore.

Golfer04

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
On my 2nd R1T (demo) I knew I wasn't going to be able to stand the Pirellis again so planned on replacing them when I bought it. Found a place that gave me $125 each for them (2500 miles) and bought the Michelin Agilis Cross Climate again. Can't believe how quiet they are and efficiency is easily 15 percent better. Just got them today. Lowered my blood pressure too😀

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (pre-ordered, Audi RS5 Sportback
Occupation
IT
Yeah I’m debating ditching the 20’s (or sidelining them for future off road use) altogether and picking up some 22’s. Good look with better noise reduction. Maybe 21s just not as keen on those with the lack of tire options and looks.

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
so i recently noticed that tire/road noise from my OEM Pirellis 20" AT tires has gotten noticeably louder after i hit about 13k miles. tread depth is probably more important than miles. i checked that and all the tires were right around 8/32 at 13k. im now at 15k. i did rotations at 7k and 14k. noise has remained the same - louder.

im happy with the even tread wear thus far and expect to get about 30k miles but just noticed its gotten much louder inside the cabin, particularly at lower speeds 20-40mph. i think the wind noise at freeway speeds may be masking the increased tire noise.

i plan to switch to new tire when its time, probably the Michelin Defender LTX Platinum, but unfortunately i got my full size spare at about 8k miles, so my next set will be the OEM Pirellis again so i can do a 5 tire rotation. 3rd set will be another brand most likely.

anyway, just wanted to note that and see if others are experiencing this increase in noise.
Just wait… it gets even louder. 24k on mine and the noise is awful.

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
Has anyone replaced with OEMs again? Was it just a bad batch that Rivian received from pirelli? I have almost 20k and it’s bad but still have some good tread on them…
I have. They are just as loud or maybe even louder after wear.

Sponsored

Fes

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Business Owner
I have this same model tire on my Land Rover and I have to say the drive is completely different. My R1S had tires rotated at 4500 and again at 9k and by 10k (which is essentially where I'm at now) It is unbearable. It rings in my ears, worse in passenger seat. It started in the 8k range. Plenty of tire tread left. We have had the truck coming up on a year this summer. I love the look but it's hurting the operator and passenger experience so much. Considering the time and energy Rivian put in the "sounds" of blinkers and beeps etc, the tire noise absolutely owns all of that. I can't even hear my turn signals on the highway.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I really am a believer that it is the tires. Every car I have bought over the last 20 years (Explorer, Explorer, Explorer, Focus, Mustang) has had Pirellis and they are just horrible. Very sensitive to temperature, wear, cupping, rotations, etc. I'm at 12k miles now and I can hear them getting louder (they are a little better when they warm up).

I suspect that any differences people experience in different Rivians or other cars are driving conditions, temperature, vehicle config (is the vehicle full of stuff or empty and echos), etc. The wear has been "ok" but the second Michelin comes out with the LTX MS 2 Defenders I'm dumping them as I see anything from this point forward as borrowed time. If it gets too bad and they don't have the MS/2s out, I'll go with the Defender Platinums I guess.

I don't blame Rivian for this, Pirelli must have an incredible marketing dept as they have had a stranglehold on a LOT of new car brands the last couple of decades.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My name is Mike, and I have a (car) problem
I really am a believer that it is the tires. Every car I have bought over the last 20 years (Explorer, Explorer, Explorer, Focus, Mustang) has had Pirellis and they are just horrible. Very sensitive to temperature, wear, cupping, rotations, etc. I'm at 12k miles now and I can hear them getting louder (they are a little better when they warm up).

I suspect that any differences people experience in different Rivians or other cars are driving conditions, temperature, vehicle config (is the vehicle full of stuff or empty and echos), etc. The wear has been "ok" but the second Michelin comes out with the LTX MS 2 Defenders I'm dumping them as I see anything from this point forward as borrowed time. If it gets too bad and they don't have the MS/2s out, I'll go with the Defender Platinums I guess.

I don't blame Rivian for this, Pirelli must have an incredible marketing dept as they have had a stranglehold on a LOT of new car brands the last couple of decades.
Michelin has your back! I’m about to switch over to the same time. It’s available in 60-series and 116 load. If you need to go 65, then that is a different story.

FYI they show up in stock all over the place at America’s Tire (aka @Discount Tire here in California).

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Michelin has your back! I’m about to switch over to the same time. It’s available in 60-series and 116 load. If you need to go 65, then that is a different story.

FYI they show up in stock all over the place at America’s Tire (aka @Discount Tire here in California).
Yea, I need the 275/65/20s I'm afraid. I love the look of the platinum, but I'm worried about the winter performance I have heard.

While they don't look the coolest, the Defender LTX/MS Michelins I have had in the past have just been SO good. Every environment they rock, they are quiet, eat miles, I would be fine with those if I could get them.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My name is Mike, and I have a (car) problem
Yea, I need the 275/65/20s I'm afraid. I love the look of the platinum, but I'm worried about the winter performance I have heard.

While they don't look the coolest, the Defender LTX/MS Michelins I have had in the past have just been SO good. Every environment they rock, they are quiet, eat miles, I would be fine with those if I could get them.
Aha, gotcha. I’m switching down to 60s, myself. Finally decided Range is King (for me) and I’m so very tired of the noise. Will keep the ATs around for a 2nd set of wheels when I get around to it.

I love the LTXs. Had them on an MDX a while back and they were fantastic in every condition. They look pedestrian, but are serious tires.
Sponsored