Sponsored

Rich Rebuilds: What my $37K Rivian Accident Repair Reveals about the Tesla Cybertrucks Design Flaw

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Seriously, this video was such a flipping bait and switch!

I am totally with you @Electric Rivilution - I used to watch his content when he was fighting Tesla on things like right to repair and the bullshit they put customers through when buying used or even new Tesla's.

What the hell was this video about? Fixing up a Volkswagen Rabbit pickup truck?

Bad Rich. BAD RICH!

HeresRonnie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Gambler
27 minute video, less than 5 minutes spent on the Rivian. I used to like Rich Rebuilds when he was fighting Tesla, but his schtick got old real fast.
Yeah I was going to say the same thing, I watched this video yesterday and about 5 minutes was about his Rivian.

Long story short for anyone who wants to know, his Rivian was rear ended and it took months for Rivian to repair it because there was only one shop that worked on Rivian. Rivian did give him a R1T loaner while he waited for repairs though. He got the truck back eventually repaired and lent it to a friend who backed into something. His point about the repair is Rivian needs to make the truck bed separate from the body so repairs are easier and cheaper.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
Is repairing minor rear end damage not possible without significant disassembly of the truck? I watched the other repair video that had similar damage and it seems like a repair taken to an extreme.

I've got to imagine there is a solution. Whether it's fading the resprayed area into the rest of the body panel or some other technique. I feel like Rivian hasn't had time to suggest an alternative repair method so shops are going to milk this for all $37k.

Edit: The video is terrible as others have stated. I barely followed what was going on and then it turned into a completely different story. I don't understand what I just watched.

Sponsored

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Seriously, this video was such a flipping bait and switch!

I am totally with you @Electric Rivilution - I used to watch his content when he was fighting Tesla on things like right to repair and the bullshit they put customers through when buying used or even new Tesla's.

What the hell was this video about? Fixing up a Volkswagen Rabbit pickup truck?

Bad Rich. BAD RICH!
All of his videos are like that. I unfollowed him like 2 years ago because he would do that clickbait crap where he would talk the subject for 2 mins in between 50 mins of boring rebuild

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
99% of YouTube is just unwatchable at this point.:puke:

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
His point about the repair is Rivian needs to make the truck bed separate from the body so repairs are easier and cheaper.
So I guess he would have the same complaint with a 21 year old Avalanche but not enough clicks to mention this isn’t unique to Rivian, Tesla, or any other electric truck.

HeresRonnie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Gambler
So I guess he would have the same complaint with a 21 year old Avalanche but not enough clicks to mention this isn’t unique to Rivian, Tesla, or any other electric truck.
he mentions the Honda ridge line had the same single piece design before they redesigned it with the separate bed.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
he mentions the Honda ridge line had the same single piece design before they redesigned it with the separate bed.
That may be another swing & a miss. I don't think Ridgeline has a separate bed. As I recall the 2nd gen Ridgeline has a crease in the body to mimic the look of a "traditional" truck bed but it's still a unibody. A very quick look at the Honda site seems to confirm it.

Sponsored

Bradyb23

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
102K 2014 Highlander; former Tesla Model 3 lessor
Yeah I was going to say the same thing, I watched this video yesterday and about 5 minutes was about his Rivian.

Long story short for anyone who wants to know, his Rivian was rear ended and it took months for Rivian to repair it because there was only one shop that worked on Rivian. Rivian did give him a R1T loaner while he waited for repairs though. He got the truck back eventually repaired and lent it to a friend who backed into something. His point about the repair is Rivian needs to make the truck bed separate from the body so repairs are easier and cheaper.
Thank you for this post!

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

i dont follow this guy but the name rang a bell and i remember he, or maybe his associates, raised a stink about allegedly getting "bullied" by Rivian reps. not sure what to think of that incident.

and these guys are pals with the Now You Know guys, who definitely have an axe to grind against Rivian so keep that in mind.

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Don't click his videos. He's an idiot who sent people out in a drag car on slicks in a snowstorm and nearly got people killed from the resulting accident.

If you watch his crap, he gets paid. Don't watch his crap.
Sponsored