First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
There are definitely quite a few egocentric / ideology based comments (big = bad). There's no doubt in my mind that eventually someone is going to make a large 3-row SUV. Once Ford and GM start rolling out their full-size EV pickups, a spinoff into Tahoe / Suburban / Expedition will be easy.

As it stands, the Rivian's interior dimensions are looking too small for my active family of 4 and dog. Given that virtually all of my friends / kids' friends families drive either a minivan or large three-row SUV, I'd say it's not just my unique needs. Rivian passing up the lucrative upper-middle-class suburban market is silly, especially given that the R1T is already being built on a stretch platform.

Actually, I think Rivian also made a mistake going to 202". Internationally, and especially in Europe, the "5 meter car" is kind of the standard for what a "large" car should be to fit their streets and parking lots. That's 197", and makes for a decent 2-row SUV. It would have made more sense to create a 5 meter R1S for international markets and a stretch XL version for the US on the R1T's wheelbase.
I am not sure they plan to ship the R1 series to EU. What I have read is that the R2 series will be a smaller platform targeting the EMEA and Asia markets.
Sponsored

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I am not sure they plan to ship the R1 series to EU. What I have red is that the R2 series will be a smaller platform targeting the EMEA and Asia markets.
R1 is much too big for Europe.

I‘d guess, if the rumours that they’re looking to build a factory in the UK/Europe are true, they’ll build smaller models there for local consumption.

given that their whole deal is reducing Carbon footprint in all processes, it seems unlikely they’ll ship vehicles trans-ocean if it can be avoided.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
As it stands, the Rivian's interior dimensions are looking too small for my active family of 4 and dog. Given that virtually all of my friends / kids' friends families drive either a minivan or large three-row SUV, I'd say it's not just my unique needs. Rivian passing up the lucrative upper-middle-class suburban market is silly, especially given that the R1T is already being built on a stretch platform.
They also passed up the 8' bed plywood hauling pickup which is an even bigger market. They chose not to do a minivan. They didn't do the sports car they originally started on. They didn't do a 4 door sedan. They didn't do a small hatchback. They didn't do a motorcycle.

There are a huge number of vehicles sold in segments they did not design for. For better or worse, they settled on a niche market for upscale 4x vehicles with off-road aspirations. It will not be what everyone wants/needs, nor was it ever intended to be.

Someday every market segment will have electric choices, but we are not there yet.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I keep coming back here to see if anyone made a rendering of what it would look like and still nothing darn...

OP
OP

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3

Sponsored

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
After thinking about this more, if Rivian eventually built a SUV this size, I would be interested in a max pack that could tow the same 11k lbs as the R1T.

I am happy with my current LE configuration, and optimistic that the interior space is adequate for our needs.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

mrpl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Occupation
Technology
Thank You!
For those who might be used to viewing these dimensions in inches, here is a comparison with the pre 2021 Tahoe (204") on a few dimensions (Edited with a few more to compare):
R1S (202" L)Tahoe (204" L)Mercedes GLS (pre 2020-202" L)BMW X7 (203.3" L)Tesla MX
Effective Leg Room - Driver41.445.340.339.841.2
Effective Leg Room - Second36.739.038.537.638.4
Effective Leg Room - Third32.824.83533.3NA
Shoulder Room - Driver60.664.858.56060.7
Shoulder Room - Second58.965.158.358.156.8
Shoulder Room - Third51.162.650.547.9NA
Hip Room - Driver54.960.8NANA55.6
Hip Room - Second54.260.3NANA59
Hip Room - Third42.849.3NANANA
Head Room - Driver41.142.841.241.941.7
Head Room - Second39.738.74039.940.9
Head Room - Third38.638.138.936.6NA

No idea what standard the Tahoe is measured at so these are likely not apples to apples, but it helps me to get an idea. As with everything else, I think it will be important to to reserve judgement until you actually get to sit in it.
Incredible! I will certainly have to sit in one, but the Tesla X seems to have a bigger interior. That's disappointing as this is an SUV.

Sponsored

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
I'm not sure I completely agree here but I'm likely not in the striking majority so that would make sense :D

Is the R1S a city car intended for weekend getaways with a family of 3-5? This sounds like what your expectation might be?
Is it a country car intended to be used as a family hauler of 5-7 that rarely sees the city? This is more where I would land.
Or is it something else ???

My assumption is, that the "striking majority" in your mind don't need the extra length because they don't have large enough families that they need the 3rd row. That is probably true if we look at population distribution and different demographics.
In which case, what's the point of the R1S at its current size? They should make a regular sized crossover that is substantially smaller than the current R1S, maintain 2 rows, and have a lot of cargo space still. This would check all of the boxes of the majority, no?
Or is the 3rd row a "nice to have in case" feature for the striking majority?

The rationale for an XL revolves around those that want more room for both cargo and passengers as well as the idea that using the exact same body as the R1T would simplify some things.
The options are few in the EV market for 3 row vehicles, so this does give some opportunity for Rivian to stand out initially even if they are balancing between two markets (the striking majority who doesn't need it at the size it currently is at and the minority who could potentially use it a bit larger than it is).
I live in the country and the striking majority here have a full size SUV in their garage. Obviously there are still way less people where I am than in the city, but on the flip side, people in the city have less kids and less need for a full size SUV in general.

It will be interesting to see if both ends make compromises to their wants/needs in order to go for the R1S or would Rivian have been better off picking a lane and sticking with it?

Time will tell but if they can actually start shipping these things I think they will hit a pretty good balance of both crowds that are "okay" with the length.

I get what you are saying, especially that I am NOT in the "striking majority". I have a family of 6, and I haul up to 8 people sometimes :) I was making an educated guess on behalf of Rivian and not myself.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Not debating. But a simple question. If r1s on long bed doesn't fit in garage for charging, becomes difficult to park in cities, then how come r1t fit in the same garage and be parked on the streets in bigger cities?
If I am not mistaken XL SUVs are about 225-230 in length, and the R1T is 217. Its still larger, but probably does not cross that threshold. I never owed a pickup, but I know a lot of people who can't park the larger pickups in their garage, so I was making an educated guess; in which I could be partially incorrect :angel:

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
Incredible! I will certainly have to sit in one, but the Tesla X seems to have a bigger interior. That's disappointing as this is an SUV.
Don't forget, unlike the R1S, the Tesla X doesn't have a 3rd row. I'm pretty sure there's more interior room inside the R1S.

mrpl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Occupation
Technology
Don't forget, unlike the R1S, the Tesla X doesn't have a 3rd row. I'm pretty sure there's more interior room inside the R1S.
I think you can get a 3rd row in the X. Although it's probably tiny for passengers. I would more than likely have those seats folded for storage anyway. My biggest concern is how big the driver side of the cockpit is. I will be the primary driver and I'm hopeful that the size isn't the same as a BMW /Lexus/Volvo midsize SUV. I hope the spec numbers are misleading; but the numbers rarely lie.

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
Tesla X absolutely has third row option with 6 or 7 seating.
Sponsored