Sponsored

R1S XL?

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Not XL battery. Extra long frame.

Is anyone else a bit disappointed that the R1S is smaller than the R1T? An extra foot of cargo room behind the 3rd row would be really nice. And the extra length might also be what is needed to fit the 400 mile battery pack and get the 10K tow rating.

It isn't a deal-breaker for me, but I would be even more excited if the R1S was a bit bigger.
Sponsored

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

I have an Expedition EL and though it has been nice in the past to have the extra room, it is not needed now. The EL barely fits in my garage now, so I'm looking forward to something smaller.

Like everything- everyone's situation is different.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Not XL battery. Extra long frame.

Is anyone else a bit disappointed that the R1S is smaller than the R1T? An extra foot of cargo room behind the 3rd row would be really nice. And the extra length might also be what is needed to fit the 400 mile battery pack and get the 10K tow rating.

It isn't a deal-breaker for me, but I would be even more excited if the R1S was a bit bigger.
I am not, I prefer the shorter R1S. I'm sure if it was a foot longer there are many garages that it would not fit in. It is more of a midsized SUV, not really considered a full size.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Nope, not in the slightest. It's already borderline too big for me... but I also don't need the 3rd row seating.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Seems it would simplify manufacturing as well if they both sat on the same chassis. But I’m all in for R1T and would not want the truck to be any shorter than it is.

Sponsored

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Just curious why R1S is shorter? For aerodynamic reasons, perhaps?

GR

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Just curious why R1S is shorter? For aerodynamic reasons, perhaps?

GR
I'd think about it the other way around. They made the R1T longer because of the gear tunnel. Right now the bed is 54 inches or 4.5 feet. Which is pretty short already but had it been 3.5 feet it would have been a deal breaker for most people. So that extra foot makes a big difference for the truck.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

R1S is a large vehicle, I believe it is the same size or slightly larger than an Audi Q7 or MB GLS. That is plenty big.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I had a whole thing written out because my mind was thinking you wanted one the length of a Suburban or Expedition Max (24"+ longer).
In the end I think I am probably exactly where you are at but with the space in a bit of a different area. Cabin room vs storage room.

Cabin Room: I have concerns on on how useful the 3rd row will be with car seats in the middle row. A bit of extra length to make sure the 3rd row can easily get in (while car seats are installed) and both rows have enough space. Ideally I would like to have captains chairs in the mid with a 3 row bench in the back. The older Tahoes were 204" and the 3rd row was a bit cramped. We went with the Navigator that was 210" and I feel that passenger room is perfect.

Storage Room: From a storage capacity standpoint I feel the frunk takes care of most of what our family of six needs. We travel very light but we are probably a bit unusual in that realm.

So in the end I agree with you. A bit larger (~12") would make this the perfect fit for us.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
The older Tahoes were 204" and the 3rd row was a bit cramped. We went with the Navigator that was 210" and I feel that passenger room is perfect.
Like others who have posted here, the current length is plenty for me. One thing to keep in mind is that comparing external lengths between vehicles is just a proxy for internal room. We've also got to look at wheelbase, the fact that the R1S doesn't have a traditional drivetrain taking up room, etc. It already punches above its weight vs. ICE vehicles thanks to the frunk, and that 3rd row could yet be more comfy than ICE SUVs of a similar length.

Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I agree with the earlier comment that “everyone’s situation is different”.

Personally, I think the R1S is to capture the consumer looking for road and off-road performance. The shorter base provides better geometry for both applications. From the first time I talked with RJ and Charles, I got the sense they really want this to capture those road and off-road enthusiast.

I too don’t need the third row….but oh well to that with the LE.

It will be interesting to test drives these vehicle and see how it performs on curves…can it take a circular off ramp at 50mph+ like a Porsche can….for me the R1S is an all around vehicle.

Don’t get me wrong, If you want a sportsar get one….if you want a rock-crawler, get one….if you want to meet in the middle…get a Rivian….just my two cents….

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Like others who have posted here, the current length is plenty for me. One thing to keep in mind is that comparing external lengths between vehicles is just a proxy for internal room. We've also got to look at wheelbase, the fact that the R1S doesn't have a traditional drivetrain taking up room, etc. It already punches above its weight vs. ICE vehicles thanks to the frunk, and that 3rd row could yet be more comfy than ICE SUVs of a similar length.
You are correct and this is why I think it could actually be the length it is and still provide the same passenger and cargo space as my 10" longer Navigator, however I am not sold yet by the photos I have seen. I need to see an adult getting in the back with a carseat installed. If that can be done comfortably then I am sold!

My concern is the R1S is the same width as my navigator but the size of the back seats look like the size of the seats in an XC90 or Q7 at 10" less width. For that matter, the 2nd row looks the same size as my 3rd row. Doesn't feel like they used their internal width very well but I hope the pictures are just deceiving and I am wrong.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
How many non-truck vehicles are longer than 202". It is going to be one of the longest non-truck vehicles on the road.

With the frunk and the 3rd row down storage is going to way surpass almost any other vehicle on the road. Perhaps people haul a lot of stuff, but my sense in the storage capacity of the current length is going to satisfy 99% of folks not looking for a van or truck.

I am a little bummed on 202" personally. The frunk is going to be empty most of the time as will most of the storage behind the 2nd row. Parking however will be an issue 100% of the time in garages, parking garages, and in cities...I think Rivian decided to err on too much storage vs a more compact design...oh well, everything is a tradeoff...

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
The older Tahoes were 204" and the 3rd row was a bit cramped. We went with the Navigator that was
Keep in mind that depending on the year, the Navigator had rear independent suspension, whereas the Tahoe had a solid axle until the newest iteration. Makes a big difference in the floor space. Not sure how the IRS translates with batteries in the floor for the third row. Still something I would like to see in person as well.
Sponsored