R1S XL?

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
I think you can get a 3rd row in the X. Although it's probably tiny for passengers. I would more than likely have those seats folded for storage anyway. My biggest concern is how big the driver side of the cockpit is. I will be the primary driver and I'm hopeful that the size isn't the same as a BMW /Lexus/Volvo midsize SUV. I hope the spec numbers are misleading; but the numbers rarely lie.
lets not forget the numbers are not officially released :)
Sponsored

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

lets not forget the numbers are not officially released :)
That and the numbers even once released are hard to truly compare across vehicles as the way they measure varies so greatly

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Don't forget, unlike the R1S, the Tesla X doesn't have a 3rd row. I'm pretty sure there's more interior room inside the R1S.
They do have a 3rd row, but it is useless. So from a 7 passenger perspective the Model X is tiny, but the first 5 seats are spacious. We wont be able to tell until we actually see one unfortunately.

But seeing how Bezos and his crew fit in there, I have no doubt it the R1S is more spacious than the X.

OP
OP

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
They do have a 3rd row, but it is useless. So from a 7 passenger perspective the Model X is tiny, but the first 5 seats are spacious. We wont be able to tell until we actually see one unfortunately.

But seeing how Bezos and his crew fit in there, I have no doubt it the R1S is more spacious than the X.
I hope the 3rd row is more spacious than the Tesla X but I am not particularly confident that it will be.

The Tesla X is able to install latch carseats in both row2 and row3. While the R1S does does not have any latches in the 3rd row. From a carseat perspective, at least on paper the X is more spacious.

The R1s clearly will have more 3rd row headroom though since the rear end does not swoop down like the X does. Personally I don't care too much about 3rd row headroom. My 3rd row passengers are not anywhere near tall enough that headroom maters. Length and width are the dimensions that will make a different for my passengers.

Last edited:

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I hope the 3rd row is more spacious than the Tesla X but I am not particularly confident that it will be.

The Tesla X is able to install latch carseats in both row2 and row3. While the R1S does does not have any latches in the 3rd row. From a carseat perspective, at least on paper the X is more spacious.
On paper simply because of the latches? Or do you have some numbers to compare?
I can't seem to find dimensions for the MX 3rd row for some reason...

Sponsored

OP
OP

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
On paper simply because of the latches? Or do you have some numbers to compare?
I can't seem to find dimensions for the MX 3rd row for some reason...
Since I plan to fill the vehicle with carseat sized kids, if I can't fit as many carseats in the Rivian as I can the model X, I think it is fair to say that the rivian is less spacious than the model x.

Yes I am really worried about what the lack of latches in the 3rd row means about the space available in the 3rd row. Yes, you can install carseats without latches, but my (reasonable IMO) assumption is that if there are no latches in the 3rd row it is likely because there isn't space back there for carseats. If they just didn't want to spend an extra $5 on a few more metal hooks, that is just stupid.

Also, the R1S is only 3 inches longer than the Model X, and the R1S sure looks like it's hood is at least 3 inches longer than the Model X's hood. Unless is just the different shape exaggerating the appearance of the hood length, the R1S cabin area might actually be shorter then the Model X's cabin.

Last edited:

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Since I plan to fill the vehicle with carseat sized kids, if I can't fit as many carseats in the Rivian as I can the model X, I think it is fair to say that the rivian is less spacious than the model x.

Yes I am really worried about what the lack of latches in the 3rd row means about the space available in the 3rd row. Yes, you can install carseats without latches, but my (reasonable IMO) assumption is that if there are no latches in the 3rd row it is likely because there isn't space back there for carseats. If they just didn't want to spend an extra $5 on a few more metal hooks, that is just stupid.

Also, the R1S is only 3 inches longer than the Model X, and the R1S sure looks like it's hood is at least 3 inches longer than the Model X's hood. Unless is just the different shape exaggerating the appearance of the hood length, the R1S cabin area might actually be shorter then the Model X's cabin.
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

I'm not sure I see it like that, considering there are a lot of 3rd row vehicles without LATCH.
LATCH doesn't indicate more space simply by its presence.
Our 2016 T&C Minivan did not have LATCH in the 3rd row nor does my sisters 2019 Tahoe. I think My parents 2020 Pilot has one set??

I wish there were some numbers for the Model X to at least see from an on paper standpoint.
Considering the 3rd row leg room on the R1S is 8" more than a pre 2021 Tahoe I would say that is pretty decent. Again, I realize the way measurements are done is not terribly helpful but it does give a bit of a baseline to at least have a conversation.

Personally my two car seats will stay in the second row and the two boosters in the back. I have zero desire to try and buckle up kids in the back seat. I just hope the 2nd row moves well enough with a carseat installed so passengers can get to the 3rd row.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

Since I got 4 kids, I think I have tried and dug into every single van and suv in the market to find out the tricks.

In short, the LATCH system is good and make things easy up to a certain weight, usually you cross that threshold quickly and end up using a seat belt. However, I liked the LATCH because it was easier to click and go, so I understand.

However, this has no indication of the space in the 3rd row. Vehicles generally must have 2 LATCHES, and they equip the rest of the seat with the anchors at the back. the R1S does have the anchors, so the 3rd row is ready for car seats.
Some vehicle, like the Outlander or Highlander do not have anchors in the 3rd row, so that makes it ILLEGAL to put a car seat in those seats; Yes, Illegal, and your insurance will not cover any injuries.

The only car seat that can be used is a backless booster because those only require the seat belt, however, since Anchors are not provided that is usually indication that it is not safe enough for children, so you should not use them for boosters either.

In short, R1S will accommodate all the car seats you want, and in any location you want, with plenty of space. Unlike X, when I tried installing 4 Diono car seats in it, it got cramped, and unusable a bit because It was either hard to get through the second row or the third row did not have enough leg room. So it was a tetris game getting the kids in and out, and me having to get in and buckle/unbuckle. The R1S has very SUV dimensions on the inside, the X isn't really an SUV on the inside, it feels more like a lifted CUV.

mrpl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Occupation
Technology
Since I got 4 kids, I think I have tried and dug into every single van and suv in the market to find out the tricks.

In short, the LATCH system is good and make things easy up to a certain weight, usually you cross that threshold quickly and end up using a seat belt. However, I liked the LATCH because it was easier to click and go, so I understand.

However, this has no indication of the space in the 3rd row. Vehicles generally must have 2 LATCHES, and they equip the rest of the seat with the anchors at the back. the R1S does have the anchors, so the 3rd row is ready for car seats.
Some vehicle, like the Outlander or Highlander do not have anchors in the 3rd row, so that makes it ILLEGAL to put a car seat in those seats; Yes, Illegal, and your insurance will not cover any injuries.

The only car seat that can be used is a backless booster because those only require the seat belt, however, since Anchors are not provided that is usually indication that it is not safe enough for children, so you should not use them for boosters either.

In short, R1S will accommodate all the car seats you want, and in any location you want, with plenty of space. Unlike X, when I tried installing 4 Diono car seats in it, it got cramped, and unusable a bit because It was either hard to get through the second row or the third row did not have enough leg room. So it was a tetris game getting the kids in and out, and me having to get in and buckle/unbuckle. The R1S has very SUV dimensions on the inside, the X isn't really an SUV on the inside, it feels more like a lifted CUV.
I don't see much info or response to the drivers side interior specs. If it isn't big enough there for me; 6'6" 285lbs, then car seat space makes no difference for me. It isn't going to drive my kids by itself; at least not yet. Lol.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I don't see much info or response to the drivers side interior specs. If it isn't big enough there for me; 6'6" 285lbs, then car seat space makes no difference for me. It isn't going to drive my kids by itself; at least not yet. Lol.
Maybe you can remove the driver seat and drive form the second row :D
Sponsored