Dave S

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I just took delivery on my R1S.

I tow pretty frequently, but live in an area where they'll take anything that isn't bolted down to your vehicle (and I hate the rattle when not towing). So I'm regularly taking the hitch off and putting it back on.

It's pretty tight getting the cotter pin in and out of the shank to secure the hitch, and I've already smashed my knuckles more times than I care to on it. In the past I've found the hitch locks to be too bulky and impede getting the brake cable and safety chains on....and with the R1S, it seems even worse.

Has anyone found a good solution or hitch lock to use?
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Hitch - cotter pin alternatives? IMG_3276
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I use these on my farm equipment, but have not tried it with a hitch pin. Depending on the diameter of the hole, one of these might work - Industrial Safety Pin, or 3/16" Lynch Pin. I would personally opt for drilling out the hitch pin to 3/16" clearance and use a lynch pin.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Hitch - cotter pin alternatives? 1709414051899

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Get a pin for a class V/2.5" hitch, they are the same diameter but longer.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

I tow pretty frequently, but live in an area where they'll take anything that isn't bolted down to your vehicle (and I hate the rattle when not towing). So I'm regularly taking the hitch off and putting it back on.

It's pretty tight getting the cotter pin in and out of the shank to secure the hitch, and I've already smashed my knuckles more times than I care to on it. In the past I've found the hitch locks to be too bulky and impede getting the brake cable and safety chains on....and with the R1S, it seems even worse.

IMG_3276.jpg
The reciever is a little larger than a standard 2 inch. If you get a pin that fits a 2 1/2 Inch reciever it works better. I am using this one.

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3

IMG_3276.jpg
I have the same question. The hitch receiver on the R1S is particularly wide. My key-locking hitch pin wasn't long enough, so that meant a trip to the auto parts store for new pin. I couldn't find a locking version long enough and bought one similar to yours. But I will admit to only looking at one store and haven't done any extensive search online yet.

Sponsored

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

I use my locking one but have to wait to lock it until the chains are on or I can’t get the chain installed on that side.

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Any pin that says 2-2 1/2 fit should be sufficient

I got the Reese "Taticool" at Walmart or OReilly's
The Dogbone lock does not block the plugs

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
If you are looking for a longer pin, they were in stock at Autozone when I got my R1S.

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

These work on Amazon. RETRUE Hitch Receiver Pin Lock, Trailer Receiver Lock with 5/8" Pin for Class III IV 2" and 2-1/2" Receiver, for Hitch Bike Rack Tray Ball Tow Rope for Trailer Truck Car Boat (2 Pack, 5/8 inch pin) https://a.co/d/iBMFOHU

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Rhino locking 2.5" pin also fit well. Though I haven't tried it with chains yet just verified it fit once after delivery. On sale for $30. Cheapest option would be a gloves or a pair of old pliers though which is my method most of the time if the cotter pin gives me trouble.

https://www.rhinousainc.com/products/locking-trailer-hitch-pin-2-5

Sponsored

Kanuk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘54 Power Wagon, R1T, Cayenne Turbo, Mini Cooper S
Occupation
Slacker

IMG_3276.jpg
I use one of these and I also padlock my hitch to the trailer ball. Trailers are a pretty common target for thieves.

https://www.masterlock.com/products/product/2866DAT

Erikbecker

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanical engineer

IMG_3276.jpg
I've been using quick-release hitch pins. They're easy to install and remove without the cotter pin hassle. Look for ones with a secure locking mechanism.

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
I have one of these. It’s the right length, it leaves room for the safety chains, it has a pin as a safety backup to the locking mechanism, and the lock cylinder is well regarded by the lock picking lawyer.

https://a.co/d/fMojzlb

JamuJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 2500, Polestar 2, R1T Max Pack Performance
Occupation
Retired Petroleum Engineer

IMG_3276.jpg
This one works fine on my R1T, I assume your receiver is similar.
META Hardware Trailer Hitch Locks, Hitch Lock with 5/8'' Dia 4” Long Pin Fits Class III IV V 2" 2-1/2", 3" & 3-1/2" Hitches, Locking Hitch Pin with Anti-Rattle O-Rings for Trailer Truck Boat (1 Pack)(Amazon)
Sponsored