Sponsored

R1S delivery window

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
A perspective.

Given so much of R1S dates are in 2023, would not surprise me if there will be many, many cancellations. There are/will be other options between now and 2023, especially if its late 2023.

My sense is that many early 2023 will slide into late 2022 and 2nd half 2023 will slide up to early 2023.

These production dates are based on current preorders. Things will change now that dates are released.
Honestly, Still not a lot of 3-row EV options on the horizon. I don't know if the landscape will be that different in 2023 vs today for that segment. Pickup trucks, definitely a lot more completion on the horizon. I can see why Rivian is prioritizing R1Ts for that reason alone. However, Since they have only produced 2 R1S's and several hundred R1Ts, there are either supply chain constraints on R1S parts or the R1S still isn't fully production-ready.
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Oct-Dec of 2022
R1S Adventure Glacier White & Ocean Coast
+ off-road & 20” wheels
Orange County, CA
April 2021 reservation

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
July-Sept 2022 (Pre-order: Nov 2020)

R1S LE, El cap, 22" wheels
Maryland

I am not confident that Rivian will meet this date. Given the folks (especially the early pre-order holders) that are now going to switch from max pack and explorer trims to adventure/large, I would be very surprised if our dates don't slip. In fairness, those who pre-ordered before me should have the option to switch to the configuration that Rivian wants to produce so I have no issue there. I just wish that Rivian offered that up earlier this summer so they could plan their production better and not send out expected dates without any notion of who would change and who would choose to stay with their current configuration.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

First half of 2023 for my 10/21 R1S Adventure Package order.
My LE R1S is still April-May 2022.
What was your order date for the LE R1S? I'm trying to guesstimate how much my date will shift if I go from LE R1T to LE R1S.

Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

July-Sept 2022 (Pre-order: Nov 2020)

R1S LE, El cap, 22" wheels
Maryland

I am not confident that Rivian will meet this date. Given the folks (especially the early pre-order holders) that are now going to switch from max pack and explorer trims to adventure/large, I would be very surprised if our dates don't slip. In fairness, those who pre-ordered before me should have the option to switch to the configuration that Rivian wants to produce so I have no issue there. I just wish that Rivian offered that up earlier this summer so they could plan their production better and not send out expected dates without any notion of who would change and who would choose to stay with their current configuration.
I am not sure those shifts will affect LE - my understanding is that LEs are still being delivered first, then adventure, then explore, then max pack.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Since they have only produced 2 R1S's and several hundred R1Ts, there are either supply chain constraints on R1S parts or the R1S still isn't fully production-ready.
Or they have only just started producing them because they did what they said they were going to do and prioritized R1T production.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

A perspective.

Given so much of R1S dates are in 2023, would not surprise me if there will be many, many cancellations. There are/will be other options between now and 2023, especially if its late 2023.

My sense is that many early 2023 will slide into late 2022 and 2nd half 2023 will slide up to early 2023.

These production dates are based on current preorders. Things will change now that dates are released.
Nobody that needs a 3 row suv will be canceling with the lack of alternatives for quite awhile.
Same thing goes for those that want an adventure vehicle that isn’t a truck.
Those that can get away with a sedan I can see canceling if they want something sooner as options are definitely there but not sure how many preorder holders ordered with that criteria either.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
It is possible they won't start producing 5 seat configurations until June 2023 since others with a similar preorder date have first half '23 dates for 7 seat.

First half of 2023
R1S Explore - 5 seater
MD
Aug 2021 preorder

Sponsored

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
First half of 2023
R1S, Adventure, 7 seat, red canyon, 21" wheels
Western Colorado
Order date May 2021

Depending on the extra range and cost of the larger pack I may switch to that and probably get bumped to 2024.

Last edited:

Baldewin

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
I just spit my Rivian Kool-Aid out all over my monitor!

Outdoorsman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ram truck
First half of 2023
R1S Adventure 5 seat Limestone
Scottsdale AZ
Pre order 10/31/21
?

Lil'Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE
Occupation
Product Support
Ordered Oct 2021
1st half of 2023
R1S Explorer, 7 Seat, Off-road package, 20" All Terrain, White

I live about an hour from the factory.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
What was your order date for the LE R1S? I'm trying to guesstimate how much my date will shift if I go from LE R1T to LE R1S.
01/19. There is an interactive chart on the "LE Delivery Window" poll results thread that should give you a good idea.

It's based on order date and location. I'm in Seattle so a "priority" location it seems. I would be SHOCKED to see my R1S before September though.
Sponsored