Pre order 10/07/21
Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Rivian better pick up speed on getting the R1S out in numbers. Competition IS coming and some people may not want to wait another 2-3 years!! I was just at the Audi eTron Q8 focus group a week ago and another for Porsche/Audi/Bentley a few months back. The eTron Q8 looks imminent and pricing will be near R1S with what looks like better tech and range. The Porsche/Bentley pricing was not shared, but I'd expect it to be higher and availability a little later. The eTron Q8 looked good and we were given the impression that this model would be released sometime in the near future. Customers will have options! Of course, during the focus group, I stated that I still would not cancel my R1S pre-order even after seeing the eTron as I prefer the boxy shape of the R1S vs the more smooth shape of the Audi. That still holds true now that I received my delivery window of first half of 2023!!
I'll list out all of the R1S competitors that you'll be able to get by EOY 2023 as of right now:

Ok so now that I've done that, sure you may have one or more direct competitors announced within the next few months, but most new EVs are being delivered in volume 8-12 months after being announced. So it is certainly possible that you could have some competitors for the R1S that would be available by midyear 2023, but it's very unlikely.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
The eTron Q8 looks imminent and pricing will be near R1S with what looks like better tech and range
Interesting comparison given the Q8 is currently scheduled for 2026 and the eTron is notorious for having absolutely dreadful range.

There is competition coming out but that's not it. You have tons of electric trucks but offroad focused electric SUVs with decently sized batteries? Not a ton.

But most people buying an R1S aren't really going to offroad nor do they need 7 seats, so stuff like the Polestar 3, Electric Macan, etc.. can fill different niches that some prospective R1S owners are most interested in, especially if they end up with batteries around 100 kWh as expected.

Last edited:

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I know some of you have waited way longer than I have, but it seems a few of you are delusional about the current market.

AlexL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Honestly, Still not a lot of 3-row EV options on the horizon. I don't know if the landscape will be that different in 2023 vs today for that segment. Pickup trucks, definitely a lot more completion on the horizon. I can see why Rivian is prioritizing R1Ts for that reason alone. However, Since they have only produced 2 R1S's and several hundred R1Ts, there are either supply chain constraints on R1S parts or the R1S still isn't fully production-ready.
Well, Kia EV9 and Hyundai IONIQ7 look promising. Perhaps also electric version of Genesis GV80 and Lincoln MarkE (based of Lincoln Aviator).
Since my delivery now shifted to H1 2023 i will certainly reconsider all of the above before pulling the trigger on R1S. Would be also interesting to see long term reviews of R1S delivered in 2022 to make a more informed decision. I do feel Rivian shot themselves in the leg with slow deliveries, they are rapidly losing the first to market advantage

Sponsored

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
2014 Ford Flex, non-LE R1S preorder
Occupation
IT Director

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
Well, Kia EV9 and Hyundai IONIQ7 look promising. Perhaps also electric version of Genesis GV80 and Lincoln MarkE (based of Lincoln Aviator).
Since my delivery now shifted to H1 2023 i will certainly reconsider all of the above before pulling the trigger on R1S. Would be also interesting to see long term reviews of R1S delivered in 2022 to make a more informed decision. I do feel Rivian shot themselves in the leg with slow deliveries, they are rapidly losing the first to market advantage
While most people don't NEED 7 seats, that's really really convenient if you have kids and a friend needs a ride or you have family that visits and you can avoid taking 2 cars... etc etc. The only ONLY reason I started looking at Rivian was because they offered a 7-passenger SUV. The Model X 3rd row is only for small children... and check out the Model Y's 3rd row, It's only for headless children, apparently. Not even enough room for a forward facing car seat in the 3rd row.....

There are no other compelling electric 3-row competitors in existence and the others I have seen are still in concept phase.

I also don't want a Kia/Hyundai or whatever. Those brands are used to making boring cars for the masses. If Audi, Land Rover, Jeep etc had something with 3-rows on the horizon, I'd be more worried if I were Rivian. I don't think there is a ton of market overlap between Kia and Rivian, or at least I hope not. Nobody really wants a Kia, it's just there and it's cheaper than the equivalent they're competing against.

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

AlexL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
While most people don't NEED 7 seats, that's really really convenient if you have kids and a friend needs a ride or you have family that visits and you can avoid taking 2 cars... etc etc. The only ONLY reason I started looking at Rivian was because they offered a 7-passenger SUV. The Model X 3rd row is only for small children... and check out the Model Y's 3rd row, It's only for headless children, apparently. Not even enough room for a forward facing car seat in the 3rd row.....

There are no other compelling electric 3-row competitors in existence and the others I have seen are still in concept phase.

I also don't want a Kia/Hyundai or whatever. Those brands are used to making boring cars for the masses. If Audi, Land Rover, Jeep etc had something with 3-rows on the horizon, I'd be more worried if I were Rivian. I don't think there is a ton of market overlap between Kia and Rivian, or at least I hope not. Nobody really wants a Kia, it's just there and it's cheaper than the equivalent they're competing against.
I think you are severely underestimating Kia/Hyundai/Genesis brands - the value these brands provide is probably the highest on the market today. They offer superior technology and features relative to most german and other premium brands, near same luxury features (and i expect them to improve even more in the coming years) and higher reliability and warranty terms at a 50-70% price point.
If you want to stick to legacy premium brand names and badges you still have the Lincoln MarkE and Volvo XC90 BEV in the mix ready to purchase in 2023. Besides with all due respect to Rivian (and I do have a lot of respect to their cars and their brand) I don't think they yet proved themselves as a luxury or premium brand yet.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Is the map updated? It isn't showing my inputs.
The map does not update in real time. I'll update it later today.
Sponsored