First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
I guess that's the beauty of 4 independent motors. Wonder how the quickly the truck figures out which corner you put the retarded tire on, or will there be a setting for that in the R1S?

Edit: wonder what happens when the dual motor trucks arrive and you have one motor driving the whole axle?
Even more interesting is the possibility of air suspension accommodating for the lower ride height.
Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I guess that's the beauty of 4 independent motors. Wonder how the quickly the truck figures out which corner you put the retarded tire on, or will there be a setting for that in the R1S?

Edit: wonder what happens when the dual motor trucks arrive and you have one motor driving the whole axle?
Interesting question. Some AWD systems have a lot of trouble with smaller differences in diameter than this. Their logic might be more forgiving though.

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Obviously, for those of us committed to an R1S the current choice is this donut spare or no spare. Iā€™m getting the donut. If Rivian offered an optional swing-out mount full size spare from the factory for the R1S I would seriously consider it despite the added complication every time I needed to access the cargo area.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It was a dumpster fire because the beads wouldn't seat and take pressure because of how it was folded in on itself.
I don't have any experience with this kind of spare. How often do people actually run into this kind of problem? And what about problems deflating and having it fold back up properly?

Pros/cons of this vs a can of fix-a-flat? Is this compact spare speed limited to 50 mph?

edit: the last 2 flats I've had around town couldn't have been mitigated by fix-a-flat but the conventional spare has always been a reliable alternative (ie, no bead seating issues, etc). guess I'm wondering just how reliable this inflatable compact spare is. perhaps I'll just have to get the spare and carry a can of fix-a-flat.

Last edited:

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I wish Rivian would let you purchase a full-size matching spare for the R1S from the factory, even if it wonā€™t fit in the well. I know you can buy them through service, but my understanding is thatā€™s more expensive.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

cjbot3000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

I don't have any experience with this kind of spare. How often do people actually run into this kind of problem? And what about problems deflating and having it fold back up properly?

Pros/cons of this vs a can of fix-a-flat? Is this compact spare speed limited to 50 mph?

edit: the last 2 flats I've had around town couldn't have been mitigated by fix-a-flat but the conventional spare has always been a reliable alternative (ie, no bead seating issues, etc). guess I'm wondering just how reliable this inflatable compact spare is. perhaps I'll just have to get the spare and carry a can of fix-a-flat.
I can only speak to my experience, but fix-a-flat would but have fixed mine. The sidewall got borked. Only needed my spare once and it failed me.

It deflated perfectly, though.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Nice find, thanks for sharing.

I had to look up how it would compare visually, and stumbled on https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Compared to 20" All-Terrain
1660877854668.png

Compared to 21" All-Season
1660877922999.png

Compared to 22" Sport
1660877999587.png
How the hell does that even work if it's not remotely close in size to any of the offered wheel/tire combos!? I guess maybe it's confirmation that having 4-independent motors you can run a different size without the computers freaking out and doing weird things with the ABS/stability/traction control.

Sponsored

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
interesting. I don't know if I'd rather just have the cargo room, and then get something like this and a full size spare when I'm adventuring further than my local grocery store:

https://www.rigdsupply.com/products/rigd-ultraswing-multi-fit-spare-tire-hitch-carrier
That's the route I'm planning to go but maybe a simpler one like this that can still have an accessory like a bike rack behind it:
https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-Carrier/Roadmaster/RM-195125.html

I've been lucky that all the flats I've had in the last few years have been quickly fixed with a tire plug, even when I've had a full size spare available. It's just been easier to put a plug in and air back up instead of changing the tire.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20ā€
That's the route I'm planning to go but maybe a simpler one like this that can still have an accessory like a bike rack behind it:
https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-Carrier/Roadmaster/RM-195125.html

I've been lucky that all the flats I've had in the last few years have been quickly fixed with a tire plug, even when I've had a full size spare available. It's just been easier to put a plug in and air back up instead of changing the tire.
By the looks of it, it appears you may not be able to access the rear of the R1S with that etrailer mount. That 34ā€ tire will likely not allow for the lowering of the tailgate. I would also be concerned about how stable it is in a rough, offroad situation. Unfortunately, by the time one gets a spare tire and mounting system thereā€™s another $2500 +/- out the window ā˜¹

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Spare tire on the back is nothing a little engineering and welding can't fix!
Sponsored