First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I can’t do a R1S until a third party vendor creates a rear swing out tire carrier for a full size spare. Rivian missed the mark on this one if they are trying to advertise as a true adventure vehicle. So I’ll stick to the R1t for now.

Even if I could get off the trail with that blow up spare, last thing I want is a dirty full size flat tire/wheel occupying cargo space when I’ve already got my off-roading and camping gear in the back.
If I was off-roading an R1S, I'd put one of these on it: UltraSwing - RIGd Supply

That's the route I'm planning to go but maybe a simpler one like this that can still have an accessory like a bike rack behind it:
https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-Carrier/Roadmaster/RM-195125.html

I've been lucky that all the flats I've had in the last few years have been quickly fixed with a tire plug, even when I've had a full size spare available. It's just been easier to put a plug in and air back up instead of changing the tire.
FWIW you can put a bike rack (and other cool stuff) on the RIGd swingout, and it's rated for pretty serious off-road use - and the swingout means you can still easily access the trunk. I'd be hesitant to put anything not off-road tested on for those applications.
Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Uninflated, this looks like it might be a reasonable tire for a BMW i3. :p

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

How the hell does that even work if it's not remotely close in size to any of the offered wheel/tire combos!? I guess maybe it's confirmation that having 4-independent motors you can run a different size without the computers freaking out and doing weird things with the ABS/stability/traction control.
I have an additional concern: if I’m off-road and I’ve gotten past one or more obstacles in the highest suspension setting which I barely cleared then I may not have enough clearance to turn around and head out the same way. All because I now have less clearance in one corner from the smaller diameter tire.

WylieD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Rav4 hybrid, Honda Insight hybrid
Mumble, mumble. Well, that's worthless in most situations where you most need a spare. So I'll be reallocating the $450 from the compact spare and putting it toward the full-size spare once they are available. Then it's a matter of finding a secure mount for the spare after I pull the worthlesss-to-me third row seat from the R1S, whenever it appears. That would be the R1S that doesn't have a Max Pack that I wanted, but does have the Adventure Trim, which I didn't. Mumble, mumble...

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I have an additional concern: if I’m off-road and I’ve gotten past one or more obstacles in the highest suspension setting which I barely cleared then I may not have enough clearance to turn around and head out the same way. All because I now have less clearance in one corner from the smaller diameter tire.
I've been on-record for awhile saying that lack of a full-size spare means the R1S is not good for off-road use. People just claim they'll put a spare inside, on the roof, or on a hitch-mounted carrier...but those are crap solutions. Basically the only real solution is a replacement swing-out bumper or a redesign of the rear hatch to support a full-size spare, likely as a swing out door like the FJ Cruiser vs a lifting hatch. That said, I don't see Rivian doing either. So R1T is is for me, between the spare and max pack not being available on the R1S.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I've been on-record for awhile saying that lack of a full-size spare means the R1S is not good for off-road use. People just claim they'll put a spare inside, on the roof, or on a hitch-mounted carrier...but those are crap solutions. Basically the only real solution is a replacement swing-out bumper or a redesign of the rear hatch to support a full-size spare, likely as a swing out door like the FJ Cruiser vs a lifting hatch. That said, I don't see Rivian doing either. So R1T is is for me, between the spare and max pack not being available on the R1S.
And mounting a full size spare either on top or on the back means the R1S is unlikely to fit in most garages.

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

And mounting a full size spare either on top or on the back means the R1S is unlikely to fit in most garages.
I don't know many who could heft 80-100 lbs on/off their roof without damaging something. Especially not with a glass roof that has already been shown to be made of sugar.

materiell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Occupation
Software Developer
My plan is to pass on the spare and buy high quality fix a flat. Does anyone have any experience with a really good flat tire kit?

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Yeah, I said a while back that lack of a full-size spare is my biggest issue. I’m planning to come up with something to keep a full-size spare vertically behind the raised third row. Less than ideal, but if it’s only there when we’re going off road I think I can live with it while keeping the compact spare for on-road use.

I think storing a full-size flat when relying on a compact spare is going to come as an unpleasant surprise for some folks. I hope that the compact spare kit includes a bag large enough to store a full-size flat without making a mess of the interior.

This spare issue really makes appreciate the packaging of our LR3 with an under-body full size spare.

Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Mumble, mumble. Well, that's worthless in most situations where you most need a spare.
I would say that *REALLY* depends on your use case. I'd wager than 95%+ of Rivians will never see serious offroad use. For those, the mini-inflate-a-spare will work fine. Heck, a can of fix-a-flat will probably work fine.

And people who actually do go offroading regularly often have specialty setups, with roof racks with extra offroad gear, including full size spares.

It's been years since I did any serious offroading (or had a serious offroader) but my impending R1T means I might pick it up again. But if I do, I'm getting a *SECOND* full size spare to carry. Yeah, the R1T makes that easier - I can just throw it in the bed; but a roof-mount cargo tray is a common sight on offroaders.

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

My plan is to pass on the spare and buy high quality fix a flat. Does anyone have any experience with a really good flat tire kit?
Project Farm has!

Spoiler:
  • Tire Slime is good for on-road.
  • MultiSeal is good for off-road. TireJect is also good.
  • Don't use Fix-A-Flat.

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023