2023 Rivian R1S

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
But they didn't lift that weight they just showed it supported it and the jack was locked in the up position. Most issues happen when lifting or lower weight.
This is true, but you will notice the 5000 lb jacks lifted 5320 lbs without issue, and you (hopefully) won't be under your truck while you are lifting or lowering.

if only there was a factor of safety in these sorts of things
That's right they work at 7000 lb, but 7000.1, complete disaster.

I design all my stuff with a 1.0001 safety factor
Ok, maybe that last statement is true if Dark-Fx works on them. Let's all remember this comment when he tries to bring a product to market ;)

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I wouldn't have any problem using a 7K QJ on my Rivian, zero. Issue is, they don't fit our vehicles in either direction, including the extended version. However, the new EV version 3 Ton rating looks like it would fit....but at $2K, sorry.

I own a QJ for my ICE vehicles and it isn't even close enough in length to fit.......

Sponsored

OP
OP
Iatros786

Iatros786

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, 997 Turbo, Q7
Clubs

Wow thanks for the deep dive everyone on QJ!

Anyone have a recommendation for a good 2 post lift at home that they've used on their Rivian?

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Bendpack (the same company that makes QJ) was a range of 2-post lifts. You need a fairly high ceiling to accommodate the posts (not to mention the roof of the car youā€™re lifting. :)

At least for me (and I think for all EVs going forward) I see less of a need for the home mechanic to have to be able to walk around underneath the car. Just raising it up enough to get the wheels off the ground, or raise the car to a more comfortable height is probably all thatā€™s needed. Something that could retract relatively flat so you could mount it in place and leave it.

I had originally planned to just move the two QJ lifts together in the center of my garage bay when I wasnā€™t using them. But the hoses & connectors were IMHO too delicate for that and I didnā€™t want ATF stains all over my garage floor. So I took to hanging then against the wall with the bottom resting on the floor. They were still heavy AF to move around and get lined up with the jack points & parallel to each other. Which is why I ended up unloading it. Clearly, most people that have one love it, so itā€™s probably just me. Maybe the 5000 is a lot lighter/easier to maneuver.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
if only there was a factor of safety in these sorts of things
Harbor Freight is rumored to use a 50% safety factor - plus or minus.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I was wondering this too, all the things I primarily do needing lift access arenā€™t needed on the Rivian (Iā€™ve restored 6-7 vintage Land Cruisers). Only thing I could see would be brakes/suspension/axle shaft, whatā€™s your use case? Seems overkill for rotating/swapping tires ā€¦

Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
OP
OP
Iatros786

Iatros786

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I was wondering this too, all the things I primarily do needing lift access arenā€™t needed on the Rivian (Iā€™ve restored 6-7 vintage Land Cruisers). Only thing I could see would be brakes/suspension/axle shaft, whatā€™s your use case? Seems overkill for rotating/swapping tires ā€¦
I've got a 74 vette I restored years ago with my dad and it was a great way to spend quality time with your kids.

So I was going to pick up another car (from the 90s with any kind of safety equipment lol) and spend time with my kids on it since they are showing some interest.

I have the rare opportunity to be designing my garage too, so wanted a lift I could easily use with the Rivian as well for small maintenance and detailing for.

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
Bendpack (the same company that makes QJ) was a range of 2-post lifts. You need a fairly high ceiling to accommodate the posts (not to mention the roof of the car youā€™re lifting. :)

At least for me (and I think for all EVs going forward) I see less of a need for the home mechanic to have to be able to walk around underneath the car. Just raising it up enough to get the wheels off the ground, or raise the car to a more comfortable height is probably all thatā€™s needed. Something that could retract relatively flat so you could mount it in place and leave it.

I had originally planned to just move the two QJ lifts together in the center of my garage bay when I wasnā€™t using them. But the hoses & connectors were IMHO too delicate for that and I didnā€™t want ATF stains all over my garage floor. So I took to hanging then against the wall with the bottom resting on the floor. They were still heavy AF to move around and get lined up with the jack points & parallel to each other. Which is why I ended up unloading it. Clearly, most people that have one love it, so itā€™s probably just me. Maybe the 5000 is a lot lighter/easier to maneuver.
I have the 7000, about a 100 lbs each. Sucked until I finally made myself get in shape. Now not bad at all. I use the wall holders and stay nicely out of way and have rolling cainet for the main hydraulic pump so works great for me. Also got for about a $1k back on Black Friday in 2019 so convinced me to make the plunge.

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I've got a 74 vette I restored years ago with my dad and it was a great way to spend quality time with your kids.

So I was going to pick up another car (from the 90s with any kind of safety equipment lol) and spend time with my kids on it since they are showing some interest.

I have the rare opportunity to be designing my garage too, so wanted a lift I could easily use with the Rivian as well for small maintenance and detailing for.
Makes more sense, just didnā€™t see you replacing a clutch or welding up an exhaust on the Rivian šŸ˜†

OP
OP
Iatros786

Iatros786

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Makes more sense, just didnā€™t see you replacing a clutch or welding up an exhaust on the Rivian šŸ˜†
LOL.. true!

I'd get my Rivian card taken away by a mob of granola-chewing, Patagonia-wearing Yetis..

Like this exhaust should :CWL:

Rivian R1T R1S Home lifts that work?! Rivian
Sponsored