Portable winch option

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
Given the lack of winch options for the Rivian, anyone know if something like a Superwinch Winch2Go running on an external battery set up in triple line mode (2 snatch blocks) would work?
Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Given the lack of winch options for the Rivian, anyone know if something like a Superwinch Winch2Go running on an external battery set up in triple line mode (2 snatch blocks) would work?
I don't winch vehicles or do recovery, but I keep one of these in my truck for loading heavier items into the bed and plug it into the 120v. It's a completely different load level, I'm moving 500-800lbs not a 8000lb truck but figured I would post it here in case it helps.

VEVOR 3-in-1 Electric Hoist Winch

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Iā€™ve got Warn winches on both of my other vehicles (M8274/XD9500i), and can tell you a 4K winch isnā€™t going to be very useful for recovery on a 7500k vehicleā€¦especially if not securely mounted to the frame. Thatā€™s really more of a UTV class winch, but could be useful for light load applications if mounted correctly. The battery really isnā€™t needed, plenty of options to wire a winch into the 12v system of the Rivian, itā€™s just like any other truck from that perspective. I donā€™t have my R1T yet, but will either be fabricating a winch tray that mounts between the frame rails, or a receiver mount that does the same if there isnā€™t room behind the bumper for a winch. I use my winches often so itā€™s not an option not to figure something out.

Last edited:
OP
OP

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
you a 4K winch isnā€™t going to be very useful for recovery on a 7500k vehicle
Yep itā€™s 4000 lb straight pull, but itā€™s instructions can say support 8000 lb in double line / 1 snatch block, so was wondering if it could support 2 snatch blocks to get it to 12000 lbs. it has a solid steel base plate with integrated latches so wonder if that could handle the stress.

The battery really isnā€™t needed, plenty of options to wire a winch into the 12v system of the Rivian, itā€™s just like any other truck from that perspective.
I keep seeing conflicting info around this. Some say the rivian 12v system cannot support the amps a winch would draw as the rivian 12v system is not comparable to an ICE 12v system so was wondering if anyone had given it a try. I reached out to Novawinch as they have an article on one of their winches and a rivian but they said their concern was amps too and that companies such as Optima are working on prototypes.

Sponsored

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I keep seeing conflicting info around this. Some say the rivian 12v system cannot support the amps a winch would draw as the rivian 12v system is not comparable to an ICE 12v system so was wondering if anyone had given it a try. I reached out to Novawinch as they have an article on one of their winches and a rivian but they said their concern was amps too and that companies such as Optima are working on prototypes.
I canā€™t see why, all 12v winches run directly off the vehicle battery. Keep me posted there šŸ˜‰

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

I looked at some random winch requirements and the specs for the stock Rivian batteries. For example a winch might require 600+ amps of power. The two R1T batteries will only put out 180 amps each.
360 is less than 600, so I think you'd need an external battery capable of higher output.

... or Rivian needs to build a winch that runs off the HV battery.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Assuming you get the power situation figured out, the biggest draw back is that you may be in a situation where you simply can't use a snatch block. Also, you may really need more capacity than you'll get from even using two snatch blocks. A good example would be getting stuck in the mud. You'll definitely need more capacity than the 7100lbs that the R1T weighs. For my Wrangler, I got an 8000lb winch, even though the curb weight is a little under 5000lbs. An argument could be made that my winch is still under powered.

OP
OP

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
Yeahā€¦ everyone confirming my suspicions, winch2go not ideal by any means.

Is there such a thing as an off vehicle cradle that can hold a winch that would be placed in between the truck and mount point similar to the winch2go concept or is that just a disaster waiting to happen?

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
There are 2ā€ receiver hitch cradles that can be mounted front or rear.

Sponsored

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Dang man, are you a wizard?

I was about to do a write-up on my self recovery set up.

I have a temp set up that I can share pics of (s00n)

12000LB HF Apex Winch
hitch mount

Rivian R1T R1S Portable winch option IMG_0592

650CCA Car battery
Marine Style Terminals for easy connect/disconnect (may make a more permanent solution if this works well/make a custom )

Rivian R1T R1S Portable winch option IMG_0596

NOCO Trickle charger that I intend to charge battery via the 120v outlets (works as expected)

Rivian R1T R1S Portable winch option IMG_0599

It worked for the maiden, let out the winch, re-roll under pressure voyage in my alley.
It fits ungracefully in the gear tunnel, the hitch extension gives it a weird footprint.

Rivian R1T R1S Portable winch option IMG_0601

I'm looking for a medium size box to fit in in.

Mounted:

Rivian R1T R1S Portable winch option IMG_0591

Rivian R1T R1S Portable winch option IMG_0597

View of Departure Angle Change:

Rivian R1T R1S Portable winch option IMG_0594

No change to the ground clearance:

Rivian R1T R1S Portable winch option IMG_0593

One thing to note, the tailgate can't open fully

Rivian R1T R1S Portable winch option IMG_0598

For the hecklin' boomers who say, "Never trust anything from Harbor Freight that can kill you if it malfunctions"

I agree, generally.

This is a proof of concept build, so I have the ability to self rescue, if needed.

But the specific winch I got has been used by multiple Youtube Recovery Pro's in the heart of off-road recovery land (Moab) and have not had many issues.

And to the Warn fanboys, I too like to waste money, this was just a proof of concept, hoping to wait for a proper hitch mounted solution and dimensions before I buy the long term solution.

Last edited:

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

I canā€™t see why, all 12v winches run directly off the vehicle battery. Keep me posted there šŸ˜‰
I think the issue is the Amps, not Volts,
I know the Winch I have specifically says it needs a battery of at least 650CCA to work properly/ with safe margins