No winch (yet?) what is the alternative

jclicky

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This (less-than-ideal, since it involves a bumper swap) build likely has a winch on the bull bar for this SEMA show R1T & R1S, will be interesting to see how they mounted the bumpers to the frame:
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/optima-overlanding-rivian-r1t-build-teased-for-sema.9445/

In particular, I’m wondering if a bumper swap might actually, counterintuitively, actually functionally add some protection to the frame by building out additional crumple-zones buffeting the rigid frame; I’ve seen too many relatively minor bumps result in totaling (one where someone was lightly-tapped on his rear bed at the side as he was pulling out of his driveway), so perhaps a bumper swap might not only provide for winch options but also add some crumple protection at the front (especially if aluminum).
Sponsored

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
My advice? Just wait until there's a good off the shelf aftermarket solution. Trying to get something rigged up custom when you're just getting into things for a winch is both overkill and likely to cause you to spend money you'd have spent differently a year or so from now. More hassle than it's worth.

If this were me I'd put $2,000 into an ETF, ride the highs and lows of gambling indexes and get the business card of a good off-road recovery guy of wherever I'm going. Chances are you won't need the offroad recovery guy and it probably won't cost you $2,000 to get out, right?

Being new to offroading and custom-fitting stuff to a vehicle like the R1T is just signing yourself up for unknown unknowns, which, end up costing a lot of money and heart ache. At least if you had 10 years into this and modding you have an idea of what you don't know. Known unknowns are way better than unknown unknowns. (Sage Wisdom of Donald Rumsfield)

When a good aftermarket bumper and winch setup hits the market, by all means, have at it. But overall do yourself a favor and enjoy a stellar piece of offroad machinery out of the box for any scenario a beginner should be getting themselves into.

You're not jumping onto the Rubicon tomorrow with no spotters. Enjoy the ride.

Or if you like to mess with crap, don't mind a ton of frustration and have deep pockets, have at it :)

electruck4x4

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Electruck4x4.com
Vehicles
'22 R1T VIN 2xx, '19 Model 3, '70 Blazer
Last edited:
OP
OP
rosspa2

rosspa2

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ipace
I personally have run a 4-ton hand winch / come along, a tree saver, and a couple of soft shackles for the last year or so. This is the one I bought specifically. Motor Trend ran a similar model when they did the Trans-America trail. It's pretty compact and fits neatly below the frunk load floor.

https://www.amazon.com/TR-Industrial-Portable-4-Ton-Puller/dp/B074986SW9/ref=sr_1_7_sspa?crid=6R7E8BX2IMTM&keywords=hand+winch&qid=1668198284&sprefix=winch,aps,476&sr=8-7-spons&psc=1

1668198655386.png
Thanks for the share seems reasonably priced.