First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Just realized I hadn't posted up here yet.

Portland area, currently have a LE R1T configured in Limestone/Ocean with the 20's.

Depending on timing, it's very possible I can book us into the covered plaza at the Trade center in Portland (across from the downtown PGE "Electric Avenue") for a meet up.

1615578867173.png

1615579120791.png
I'm in!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

SeaGeo,

I'm not, but it was one of my favorite subjects in college and some of my best friends to this day are ones I met in my Geology and other 100/200 level science classes. I still clearly remember the excitement of those professors/T.A.s that were involved in monitoring Mt. St. Helens when it erupted in 1980. It served as a great lesson that this orb is still very much alive and not to be trifled with.

I'm guessing I've spent way more time watching earth science shows on the National Geographic, Discovery, and Science channels in my lifetime than I have all of the movie channels I still pay for, combined.

I'm old enough that I think many of my professors actually may have witnessed the Missoula Flood firsthand. At least two of them knew, or at least had met J.H. Bretz around the time he finally got the credit he was due for his research on The Flood. They told some cool stories about performing research before having all of the technology we take for granted today. I'd say they would marvel at the thought of the EVs, cell phones, and the internet, but it was far enough back that they probably thought 8-track tapes were pretty amazing.

I'm not sure about Annie, but hope she chimes in. How about you?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
SeaGeo,

I'm not, but it was one of my favorite subjects in college and some of my best friends to this day are ones I met in my Geology and other 100/200 level science classes. I still clearly remember the excitement of those professors/T.A.s that were involved in monitoring Mt. St. Helens when it erupted in 1980. It served as a great lesson that this orb is still very much alive and not to be trifled with.

I'm guessing I've spent way more time watching earth science shows on the National Geographic, Discovery, and Science channels in my lifetime than I have all of the movie channels I still pay for, combined.

I'm old enough that I think many of my professors actually may have witnessed the Missoula Flood firsthand. At least two of them knew, or at least had met J.H. Bretz around the time he finally got the credit he was due for his research on The Flood. They told some cool stories about performing research before having all of the technology we take for granted today. I'd say they would marvel at the thought of the EVs, cell phones, and the internet, but it was far enough back that they probably thought 8-track tapes were pretty amazing.

Nice. I really enjoyed learning about the various floods and lakes throughout the ice ages and how they impacted our surroundings back in middle school in Idaho. Thinking about how the earth has changed and those mountains and gorges came to be is definitely something I enjoy while driving around the PNW.

It's pretty crazy how recent a lot of the geology and geotechnical/seismic knowledge was developed. It's not like Bretz was *that* long ago for instance. Einstein had formulated special relativity and saw it accepted by physicists before Bretz even published about the Scablands and his idea of the origin.

I'm a geotechnical engineer. So I know and use enough geology to be dangerous, and then default to math and engineering principals when I need more than a good story to get something built ;).

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Nice. I really enjoyed learning about the various floods and lakes throughout the ice ages and how they impacted our surroundings back in middle school in Idaho. Thinking about how the earth has changed and those mountains and gorges came to be is definitely something I enjoy while driving around the PNW.

It's pretty crazy how recent a lot of the geology and geotechnical/seismic knowledge was developed. It's not like Bretz was *that* long ago for instance. Einstein had formulated special relativity and saw it accepted by physicists before Bretz even published about the Scablands and his idea of the origin.

I'm a geotechnical engineer. So I know and use enough geology to be dangerous, and then default to math and engineering principals when I need more than a good story to get something built ;).
SeaGeo, I find I've looked at the world differently from the first time I stepped out of a Geology classroom. Mountains, faults, valleys, landscapes of all kinds. But once I heard the story of that flood, I've never seen the Columbia River Gorge, the Palouse, Lake Pend Oreille or even Missoula the same way. The devastation of that sea of water, ice & rocks coming across the region in one huge rush is mind-boggling.

I think I'm safe in saying that would be the worst day of fishing. EVER! (although enforcement of licenses and limits was likely a low priority that day)

You mentioned Middle School in Idaho. Where were you and what time frame? I was in Pocatello for five plus years in the late 80's/early 90's. Pretty nice geology there, as well as some super people.

I hope to catch up soon!

Sponsored

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

SeaGeo, I find I've looked at the world differently from the first time I stepped out of a Geology classroom. Mountains, faults, valleys, landscapes of all kinds. But once I heard the story of that flood, I've never seen the Columbia River Gorge, the Palouse, Lake Pend Oreille or even Missoula the same way. The devastation of that sea of water, ice & rocks coming across the region in one huge rush is mind-boggling.

I think I'm safe in saying that would be the worst day of fishing. EVER! (although enforcement of licenses and limits was likely a low priority that day)

You mentioned Middle School in Idaho. Where were you and what time frame? I was in Pocatello for five plus years in the late 80's/early 90's. Pretty nice geology there, as well as some super people.

I hope to catch up soon!
If you grow up in Wa you learn about all this in Wa sate history. Granted at an 8th grade level but from Glacial Lake Russell to the Palouse and all points in between they cover it. Geological activity explains everything from Puget Sound and Lake Chelan to Wheat, Apple, and Hop farming. Even why the government stores Nuclear materials in the Tri-cities It’s all about Glaciers, Floods and Volcanos around here. Pretty cool stuff I agree.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Duck & SeaGeo,
I'm not a Geologist, but have a biology/science background. Nick Zentner (CWU Geology Professor) is one of the finest human-beings on this planet and a joy to experience. He has an incredibly interesting YouTube channel (Nick Zentner) where he posts his talks on PNW geology...fascinating and entertaining. Like you said Duck, learning from him has changed my whole experience of living in this incredible area and I look at it with entirely different eyes. It is such a joy to drive around and actually know what happened. Washington & PNW geology is wild!! Nick streamed his Geol 101 class last quarter and I watched the whole thing along with 1000+ other non-students around the world. It was amazing to watch how he interacts with students. He's a genuinely gifted teacher. He'll be streaming his Geol 351 PNW Geololgy class starting at the end of this month, Mar. 30th...I'll be watching.

Might be fun for some of the "Rivinites" to get together to explore PNW geology together!! Maybe we can get Nick to go with us on a trip or two, since we'll have the coolest rock-climbing vehicle in the world to take him out with us. :clap: :like: I bet he'd be up for it. There are so many places I want to explore when I get my R1T!!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

The CGI animation of the RV running away from the 300 feet deep flood was a nice touch.
I'd hate for that to have been a Riviot in need of a charge. 0-60 in three seconds is nice, but not if Alexa is telling you your battery is nearly depleted.

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Duck & SeaGeo,
I'm not a Geologist, but have a biology/science background. Nick Zentner (CWU Geology Professor) is one of the finest human-beings on this planet and a joy to experience. He has an incredibly interesting YouTube channel (Nick Zentner) where he posts his talks on PNW geology...fascinating and entertaining. Like you said Duck, learning from him has changed my whole experience of living in this incredible area and I look at it with entirely different eyes. It is such a joy to drive around and actually know what happened. Washington & PNW geology is wild!! Nick streamed his Geol 101 class last quarter and I watched the whole thing along with 1000+ other non-students around the world. It was amazing to watch how he interacts with students. He's a genuinely gifted teacher. He'll be streaming his Geol 351 PNW Geololgy class starting at the end of this month, Mar. 30th...I'll be watching.

Might be fun for some of the "Rivinites" to get together to explore PNW geology together!! Maybe we can get Nick to go with us on a trip or two, since we'll have the coolest rock-climbing vehicle in the world to take him out with us. :clap: :like: I bet he'd be up for it. There are so many places I want to explore when I get my R1T!!
Annie,

I love the way you think! I would truly enjoy getting some of is together to do exactly what you laid out in your response. If Nick can join in, all the better. The more, the merrier!

This is the type of Adventure I've been dreaming of with Rivian. As I believe I mentioned before, tracing the route of The Flood from the Willamette Valley back along its path to the Missoula area has been on my mind since learning about it. Meeting folks along the way, getting to know them and getting their take on it makes it that much more special.

Please keep me in the loop as we go forward. These last few years have felt like we've been moving at a glacial pace, but the damn is about to break! Can't wait for June!

Sponsored

Dgephri

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Finance-Real Estate
Clubs

Portland, order 6921 (-1000 I guess). R1S LE in LE Green, Ocean Coast interior, 20" ATs.

Looking forward to the test drive phases, and info on the Rivian home charger. New owner meetups sound cool! Will be nice to sit in any R1Ts that come to get a feel for the R1S arrivals.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Yes! Another PNW Riviot (no offense, it just fits me) in Launch Green, no less! Another Portlander, as well!

Once the R1Ts roll out, you can sit and take a ride around in mine. If you behave, I might even let you test drive it. ? Connecting with others is going to be one of the best parts of this Adventure.

FWIW, DucRider, another PDX'er, turned me onto the ChargePoint Home Flex. With time before your R1S rolls out, you should compare your options. I'm still thinking about getting the Rivian unit as well for another location.

The following is part of a discussion I had last night with Capstone, a new Forumite/long-time Riviot from Prince Edward Island. He started a thread titled Forest Green, and it got me thinking about things against the backdrop of the many comments I've read about the slow drip of information coming from the Mothership about many topics, paint colors and EVSE being but two of them.

If RJ and others read this, I know they'll know it's tongue-in-cheek. I think a forensic look back at the marketing campaign around this rollout will show it to be genius, even if we're all going a little nuts right now. Enough preamble:

Regarding Launch Green, I'm guessing all of the consternation going on about it (and I'm as guilty as they come) must be highly entertaining to the folks at Rivian. I'm guessing they have daily betting pools on how many comments and questions they'll receive. Probably modeled after The Price is Right.

I can almost hear RJ on the intercom, just before they fire up the Engagement Center Phone Bank for the day: "OK people, remember, as always, absolutely no release of any real info today! Let's practice those phrases! Come on, all together now, 'We're just as excited as you are about these vehicles!', 'We'll be releasing more about that very, very soon' and my favorite, 'I'll have to circle back to you on that'. Remember, and this is critical, hit that mute button if you think you're going to burst into a fit of laughter!"

"As always, there's free pizza and a logo shirt to the Rep with the closest guess as to the number of complaints including the exact phrase 'Launch Green' by noon. But remember, you can't go over that number. Congrats to Martin. Yesterday, he nailed it exactly, with a guess of 1,420,917. Way to go Martin! No one else predicted a down day!"

I can't wait to finally see it, but I know I'm going to have to....

Enjoy your weekend!

Last edited:

Dgephri

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Finance-Real Estate
Clubs

FWIW, DucRider, another PDX'er, turned me onto the ChargePoint Home Flex. With time before your R1S rolls out, you should compare your options. I'm still thinking about getting the Rivian unit as well for another location.
I've had some conversations with Chargepoint: I manage an RV park loaded with 30/50A posts so I have been exploring the process to get a handful (5 to start I think) of them installed as off season/toad amenities. Slow going...

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I've had some conversations with Chargepoint: I manage an RV park loaded with 30/50A posts so I have been exploring the process to get a handful (5 to start I think) of them installed as off season/toad amenities. Slow going...
Might try OpConnect (they are local). They use primarily Clipper Creek equipment, but should be able to fit what you need for your RV park:
https://www.opconnect.com/press/
PM me if you want a direct contact and I'll make an introduction.

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
Issaquah, waiting for the max pack R!S preordered a year ago
Sponsored