Sponsored

2023 May PNW Rivian Camp-out/Meetup Adventure in E. Washington INTERESTED?

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
UPDATE: 2023 May PNW Rivian Camp-out/Meetup Adventure in E. Washington INTERESTED?
DATES SET!! May 24-26

We (Becky L. aka Lil’O Annie and Bruce C. aka DuckTruck) are organizing a Rivian camp-out and meetup at Escure Ranch in the E. Washington Scablands to explore and learn about the amazing Ice Age Floods and Scabland geology of the PNW. Escure Ranch is on BLM land. No camping fees.

The best time to visit the area is late in May when it is cooler, green and wildflowers are at their peak. This area gets a lot of visitors/campers on weekends, so we’ll be planning to do this mid-week to avoid the crowds. May 24-26.

Escure Ranch covers about 20 square miles of wide-open, flood-torn landscape in the Cheney-Palouse Scablands of Washington State. This remote area straddles the boundary of Whitman and Adams counties south of Sprague, southeast of Ritzville, and northeast of Washtucna, Washington. Before the Bureau of Land Management purchased Escure in 1999, Escure was actively worked as sheep and cattle ranch, and its ranch house, barns, buildings and corrals still stand, just a short walk from the parking area.

This is a big, stark land. Bunchgrass and weeds, crusty low sagebrush, basalt mesas and big sky give Escure Ranch a lonesome, western feel. Hiking, mountain biking, fly fishing, bird/wildlife watching, wildflowers and a dirt back-road for Rivians to explore are some of the possible activities in the area.

This area is pocked with marshes, stock water holes and pothole lakes, and meandering through it is about eight miles of Rock Creek, a catch-and-release flyfishing stream that has a reputation for producing lunkers. Rock Creek flows strong and has a magnificent 15-foot waterfall named of Towell Falls downstream from the ranch buildings. The waterfall is an easy three mile hike along a jeep road (open to ORV only July-Aug), a good place to see marmots and deer, and to be watched by hungry hawks.

Link to BLM map of area: https://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recreation/files/brochures/Escure_2010.pdf

First night, we’ll spend some time around the campfire learning about the mind-blowing geology of the area and the PNW in general. It is truly mind blowing!! The next day everyone is free to do what they’d like, but we'll be leading a drive to Breeden Falls and Wall Lake for wildflower, wildlife viewing and more of an off-road Rivian jaunt (we’d plan to have lunch at Wall Lake). The Breeden Falls/Wall Lake road is a dirt road and can be muddy if there have been recent rains. It’s not a difficult road, but high-clearance vehicles, like our Rivians are recommended.

Last year, on May 22, I made a couple of videos of this area. You can take a look at them to get an idea of what this area looks like. The one with our Rivian was taken on the Breeden Falls road.

Here are links to the videos. As you watch these videos, try to imagine huge flood-waters gushing through the area over the top of you and your Rivian...yes...it’s true!

Escure Ranch:

R1T on Breeden Rd:

CAMPING: There is one restroom at the camping area. No potable water, so bring lots of your own. Pack in/Pack out. No camping fee.

CHARGE BEFORE TO COME: There are 4 Electrify America chargers (2-350kW and 2-150kW) in Ritzville and on EVGo (50kW). It is 31.3 miles, around 53 minutes, from Ritzville to the campground, about half of that on gravel roads.

Hope to see you there!!! We’ll provide a map and more details soon.

Contact either:
Becky L. aka Lil’ O Annie
Bruce C. aka DuckTruck
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Are reservations required?
No...first come first serve for the actual "designated" six campsites with tables and fire pits. That's another good reason to go M-F. It's pretty open out there for us to form a large camping group and we can overflow to surrounding areas, if necessary. Here's a shot of the camping area to give you an idea.
Rivian R1T R1S 2023 May PNW Rivian Camp-out/Meetup Adventure in E. Washington INTERESTED? 1683578766755

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
The geological history of this area is incredibly fasinating and definetly an area I want to check out sometime. Just too damn busy to escape mid week.

WattsUp

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My Wife and I are interested - we are flexible on the dates but 24-26 seems to be ideal for us- thanks - Jay

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
My Wife and I are interested - we are flexible on the dates but 24-26 seems to be ideal for us- thanks - Jay
GREAT! Thanks for letting us know.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

wow, that place looks amazing. im interested but not sure i can make it mid-week. will let you know if i can.

bowhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Clubs

I'm definitely interested, but not sure on the timing. Towards the end of the week would work best as I could head east from there to visit family and friends for Memorial Day weekend.

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I'm definitely interested, but not sure on the timing. Towards the end of the week would work best as I could head east from there to visit family and friends for Memorial Day weekend.
Would love it if you can make it!! Timing, at this point, is pointing toward later in the week as best for most. Would be great to see you again!

ciderarchitect

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2018 Honda CRV
Occupation
Architect/Contractor
Just noticed this… with a busy job and a middle schooler I don’t know that I could swing a weekday camp out, but I might come out just for an evening meet up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Just noticed this… with a busy job and a middle schooler I don’t know that I could swing a weekday camp out, but I might come out just for an evening meet up.
Sure Austin! That would be great. Wouldn't be too bad of a drive for you from Liberty Lake. We'd all like to meet you and your family! You can see the area and bring your family back on a weekend when you can spend more time out there. It's spectacular.

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
UPDATE: 2023 May PNW Rivian Camp-out/Meetup Adventure in E. Washington INTERESTED?
DATES SET!! May 24-26, Wed-Thur
Looks like these days work best for those that are coming. See main post in Northwest "Location Section" of forum for more info.

WattsUp

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
just a couple of questions in preparation for this trip:
1. when should we plan on arriving?
2. what SOC (%) did you charge to at the last charger before arrival to have enough to drive around when there?
3. are there trails that would support ebikes? (ours are good on gravel /dirt roads)
4. how much water did you bring for 2 ppl 2 days (we are planning on 11gal)

Tyleem111

First Name
Tylee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 2022 Ford Lightning, Daiharsu Mira, Ranger
Clubs

@Lil'O Annie and @DuckTruck I wish we could make this! Sounds like a blast!! Unfortunately, I have work during the week with meetings I cannot move. I hope I can make the next outing.
Sponsored